1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Cows Stuck In Barn

Discussion in 'Support' started by LuthienNightwolf, Aug 24, 2016.

1. LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

For some reason, my cows are getting stuck inside the barn. They do come to the door and act like they're coming outside but they get caught up on something and walk straight to the left instead, and then they all cluster there. Cows Stuck.png

I've read that there needs to be a 2-tile gap in front of the barn, so I tried removing the trees and the brazier and it was still happening. I've tested this twice, removing those things before I opened the barn door and after, and no difference.

Sometimes one cow manages to slip out and actually go out into the yard. Cows Stuck 2.png It then behaves normally.

I've also observed them "eating" grass as they're stuck, even though there's not actually any grass there. When this happens, grass is missing from my main farm, so I wonder if there's some overlap going on with the expansion and the main farm, and the trees on my main farm might be blocking the barn on the expansion (or rather, the game perceives it that way)? (In my old file, pigs on the expansion were digging up truffles, but the truffles were showing up on the main farm, which is what leads me to suspect this might be the case.)

If anyone could offer some insight on this I'd appreciate it.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Out of curiosity, have you checked to see if it's the mod you're using on the barn? Is it possible the door might be off by a pixel one way or the other in that retexture, and could be clipping the cow's path? Alternate hypothesis-- I note you have grass right up to the back and sides of the barn. Are the cows starting to exit, detecting that grass, and veering to one side to try and get at it instead of moving forward? Try trimming away the side grasses to see.

Your idea regarding the expansion might also be valid. I don't know how the mod is programmed, but it's certainly possible there's an overlap in animal-tracking between the two areas.

Of course, you may just have very shy cows. :poke:

• LuthienNightwolf

I've used these barns before on my old save and I didn't have this problem, but I think you might possibly be right about the grass. I was playing earlier and they actually did come out far enough to clear the barn, and ate the grass that was on the immediate sides of it. So it could just be a weird pathing thing where they're choosing the closest grass they can get to. I'll try clearing some of it away from the sides of the barn next time I play and see if that helps. >u>

• LuthienNightwolf

Okay, the grass thing might have fixed the issue. I cut all the grass away from the side of the barn, as well as the area on the main farm where they're taking grass from, and they were able to come all the way out and actually walk around (though they did still walk through the barn, I'm not really sure what that's all about). Gonna try this a couple more times with only the grass on the expansion removed, and then only the grass on the main farm removed if that doesn't work, and see how they do. Cow Freedom.png

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Hurrah! ~Oh give me a home/ where the buffalo roam...~

LuthienNightwolf likes this.