Considering Purchase, quick Q's

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by molerat, Mar 11, 2017.

1. molerat

molerat Void-Bound Voyager

I'm considering purchasing the game, and have some questions that I couldn't find sufficient answers for while searching. (Either vague answers, or answers from way back in beta well before release.)

Firstly, hardware.
    My system is an i3 3130m with an HD4000 integrated chip and 4 gig ram (laptop).

I saw someone in a thread state that it runs ok on an HD4000, but if anyone out there has anything more specific than "ok" I'd like to hear it. How many fps, at what resolution, what settings, and whatnot are the details I'm after.
    I don't mind lower FPS, around 20-30 would be fine. (Depending on the answer to the second question)

Which brings up the second thing. How well does it handle lower frames? In some games if it drops below 60 it runs in slow motion. Does this game still appear to be running full speed, or does it start to run slowmo?

Third: How good is the developer about updating the GOG version? If I get it, it will be from there, but not if the developer only releases GOG patches months after the steam patches.

Lastly, the system requirements on GOG mention broadband internet. Is this for the multiplayer part only, or what?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. Kalteas

Kalteas Poptop Tamer

I can only help you with the internet part, but yeah, it's only for multiplayer. You don't need to be connected the rest of the time, except, I suppose, to update.

3. molerat

molerat Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks for answering what you could.

4. MongooseCalledFred

MongooseCalledFred Starship Captain

As to lower frames, I'm pretty sure that stuff like monsters is handled separately to the frames, so it shouldn't feel like slow motion. The downside is that you can sometimes get lag spikes (in single player) where you don't see the grenade explode or the monster die until a few seconds after it should (and may have) happened.

I'm basing this off of my analysis of game behavior, one portal dimension where it was super laggy, and the fact that it feels similar to Space Engineers (which attempts to keep frame rate separate from physics calculations). I may be wrong.