1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Connection failures/freezes Possible IP problem?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Zancuno, May 12, 2016.

1. Zancuno

Zancuno Existential Complex

Hey I've been trying to play with a friend via multiplayer on Starbound.

My problem is that there are sometimes connection failure, connection loses, and sometimes even freezes.

It has become rather irritating these days so I'm reaching out for help.

I have already set up a port forward but while reading the threads of this forum I encountered an article that may show my problem.

I'm not a big person on giving out my IP so I'll just call the parts by letters.

Okay well I've been looking at my router details and my command prompt with ipconfig side by side.

The article pointed out a problem I may have.

Although I need your opinions on this so I know I'm not crazy.

Okay more or less I was told to set up a static IP in this article it list the steps.

Well I noticed this problem

On my command prompt I noticed an issue with the Gateway address and the DNS address

Here's a diagram of what's happening

Laptop details:
    Gateway: CCC.CCC.C.CCC
    DNS: CCC.CCC.C.CCC

They both use the same IP

Router details:
    Gateway: AA.AAA.AA.A
    DNS: BB.BB.BB.BB

As you can tell the two do not match up at all.

I have found the option to manually enter the IP details but am not going to take another step until I am certain this is the problem

Let me know what you think.

2. Zancuno

I'll be keeping this thread open until I'm sure that I have fixed my problems. I just changed my DNS servers

3. Dunto

Dunto Guest

You don't need to set up a static IP. Just leave your router set for DHCP on the WAN side so it'll get the right info from your modem, enable DHCP on your PC as well, then disconnect/reconnect or power-cycle both so they'll reconnect using DHCP. Once they've reconnected, set up a DHCP reservation in your modem for your router and another DHCP reservation in your router for your PC. Using DHCP will let the router push the gateway, DNS, and other network info to your PC automatically when you get an IP address while setting up a DHCP reservation means that your PC will get the same IP every time it requests one from the router, ensuring that your port-forwarding settings won't need to be updated later. Setting up a static IP isn't a bad way to go, but it does mean that you should be familiar with basic networking concepts (IE, have a decent idea of what you're doing) in order to prevent self-inflicted network issues. Using DHCP is pretty much plug-and-play and setting up a DHCP reservation means your assigned IP will remain the same, which is your reason for using a static IP in this scenario anyways (so it doesn't suddenly change on you and invalidate your port-forwarding settings).

Once you've done all that, see if your random connection issues go away.

Note that the DNS and gateway settings may be different between your PC and your router (depending on the hardware and configuration involved) in order for everything to work properly. As you didn't post any actual IPs, there's really no way to be sure since I for one cannot check to see if those IPs are the correct ones, for example, whether you're using your ISP's DNS servers, or some free DNS servers, or have those configured improperly. Note that IPs are generally not considered private (anything you connect to gets your IP or the IP of whatever you're relaying through, that's part of how networking works), but I can understand not wanting them to be scraped by bots or have griefers try to connect to your server by posting your public IP. While I don't normally provide support via PM, if you're worried about posting your networking info publicly you can PM me the details if you prefer. Up to you. You can also just Google your ISP's DNS server IPs and paste them into both your router and PC if you like (it's common for the router to list its own LAN IP as the DNS server to PCs then internally forward the lookups to the ISP's DNS servers, which it would get from the modem, but you can use those DNS servers directly from your PC if you wish).

4. Zancuno

Well I actually did set up the static IP. I have had a little bit of DNS troubles which I fixed after finding more reliable DNS servers based by our At&t network. Although thank you for that. I'm actually taking note of what you said in this reply. It is obvious that you know what you are talking about. If anything I'm going to try to save this message so if I ever have to reset things in the future, I will use this method

5. Nuove

Nuove Space Hobo

Please tell me, problems like this may be a consequence of the active use of proxy servers and vpn?