Combat Mechanics: Aggro

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by The Doctor, Mar 18, 2012.

?

Good Idea?

Poll closed Apr 1, 2012.
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. The Doctor

The Doctor Pangalactic Porcupine

I haven't played SWOTR but this threat concept seems interesting.

2. KaosC57

KaosC57 Phantasmal Quasar

Well if you want it explained i can explain it real quick. Basicaly in combat every attack (or heal if playing a healer) will build an invisible threat meter and that increases your agro range per threat "level" thats basacaly it

3. The Doctor

The Doctor Pangalactic Porcupine

ah i see, well that would make sense to incorporate, and certain actions have more value depending on the enemy

4. Fleder

Fleder Pangalactic Porcupine

especially for boss fights, this would be sweet!

5. Pseudoboss

Pseudoboss Spaceman Spiff

WoW has a threat system that pretty freakin' basic, and I really wish it would be expanded on more, in the ways you're saying. Especially with role-based (Healer, DPS (Damage Per Second for those who don't play many MMOs), Tank) combat (Which isn't a bad thing at all, and in here you could probably hybridize roles with certain abilities (damage dealt goes to be healing, healing deals damage, if both of these abilities applied at the same time, then you might have a bunch of healing balls healing your allies, loasing a bit of power, hitting a target, dealing damage, losing power, flying back to the injured ally, and so on. That'd be a nice mechanic to build a hybrid off of.)
    Think if you're fighting a boss
    which you want to attack the tank, so he goes marching in first to get a base threat buff from being the first in sight.
    while the DPS move around the boss because threat might increase if the DPS are close together, due to the fact that the boss's main attack is AOE.and they start shooting at the boss's weak spot. The weak spot means more damage and therefore more threat,
    so the tank won't be able to keep up all the time, and will lose the boss's attention, as he turns to face the DPS that aggroed him, the tank has to burst down the boss by throwing grenades, activating alt-fire, and trying to hit it in the soft spot as hard as possible. This burst of damage will regain threat and he'll turn back, which means the tank's back at doing his job
    While all that is going on, the healer has to hide from the boss, because if he's spotted by the boss, then he instantly get's the boss's attention and will probably die, so he has to run between bits of cover to prevent this from happening. But as the fight goes on, the bits of cover crumble away, forcing the healer to move, and the tank has to move too. If the tank moves, then the DPS have to move out of the AOE attack, while maintaining a minimum distance apart.

All of that could be one fight with just an elaborate aggro table and a single boss attack and the most basic mechanics in a 2d game. If you have all sorts of special attacks, that might force the DPS to move to the same spot to not get killed (Which means that they can't attack, 'lest the boss decides to attack them and they all die in one shot.), and then spread out again, you'd have some pretty interesting mechanics and some amazingly difficult and coordinated boss fights for groups to get through. Too bad that WoW doesn't have that kind of aggro tech.

While I was imagining this through an MMO lens, I think it could be