1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Coloured Blocks

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Sep 25, 2013.

?

Choose which ones you'd be ok with.

1. Different coloured blocks are stored in different inventory slots.

238 vote(s)
    51.3%
  2. Different coloured blocks are combined into a single block for easier storage, default coloration

44 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Different coloured blocks are combined into a single block for easier storage, planet coloration

240 vote(s)
    51.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tallsmartman

tallsmartman Space Penguin Leader

Option 3 all the way!

Option 1 would probably frustrate me to the point of not continuing to play. Not to be dramatic, but option 1 is just plain silly to me...

DeadlyLuvdisc and Echo like this.
  2. Qader

Qader Void-Bound Voyager

1. I like the ability to choose the colour of the blocks and I think I could risk a bit more inventory space for it. But whatever works, im sure I could paint them over eventually.

Trowzers, Sower and Sundew like this.
  3. riseoflegends

riseoflegends Subatomic Cosmonaut

Option 3 gets my vote.

My heart skips a beat at the thought of having to manage an inventory with multiple stacks of colored dirt, and if they can be colored with the paint tool, then it makes absolutely no difference as far as aesthetics is concerned. It's an increase in convenience at no real cost of creativity.

DeadlyLuvdisc, Skarn and Qader like this.
  4. M C

M C Parsec Taste Tester

option 3 ofcourse!

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  5. Jman1177

Jman1177 Void-Bound Voyager

I would say 3, but It would probably be best if there was some way to "paint" blocks to a different color. That way it's sort of the best of both worlds. :)

6. greenman

greenman Spaceman Spiff

czech it:

natelovesyou likes this.
  7. Juxtor

Juxtor Phantasmal Quasar

I would vote for option one. I don't mind managing my inventory. If I want a specific color of a material I want to have to gather it from the place I found it. As George said the paint tool will allow you to paint the material block one of about 10 different colors. If the original color of the material you gathered was very specific it would suddenly become generic and can only become one of 10 colors now. I can see that most people are preferring option three. However in my opinion that is a dumb it down approach. If materials keep their original traits ( Although it appears that color will be the only unique variable I was hoping for other things to differentiate one material of a certain type from others of the same type) it would require more inventory management. but if you went to a certain planet with a nice red colored dirt, stone or whatever, then maybe you would want to gather a bunch of it to use in another location. if you don't like the dirt on a certain planet, then you shouldn't take it and clutter up your inventory.

Grulul, Trowzers, Sower and 1 other person like this.
  8. Dagorran

Dagorran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't think that's avoidable if you plan on doing any underground exploring... I guess you could just throw it out after you dug it up though.

9. SamuraiJack7

SamuraiJack7 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Option 3 sounds good especially with the option of a paint tool (developed at a later date, it's not the most important thing in the world)

Same material, different colours that I can choose. You're bound to get some amazing art.

10. Middleman93

Middleman93 Star Wrangler

I have a question for the developers related to their query, because my opinion might change based on their answer. How many inventory slots does a character have? In one of the videos I watched recently, don't remember which, it looked like there was different tabs for the inventory that each added another 20 or more slots. Did I see it wrong, or..?

11. Blankness

Blankness Void-Bound Voyager

I like number one. Making a base on a new world would be better if it' feels "alien"

Diagnosan likes this.
  12. Cirom

Cirom Cosmic Narwhal

I would say option 1, only because the others would somewhat break my immersion. :p Randomly changing colour blocks, woo~!

Also, easier to place coloured blocks, then - you can paint them where it's easier.

Trowzers and Diagnosan like this.
  13. Quenton

Quenton Phantasmal Quasar

I'd prefer option 1.

It might be fun to plant crops on blue soil on a planet that has normal, brown dirt.

Besides, it seems we'll spend a fair amount of time on each, individual planet. So, it's not like we'll wind up with many different stacks of dirt in a short time. I don't see it being a huge problem, unless someone just never uses containers.

14. Diagnosan

Diagnosan Subatomic Cosmonaut

This here is why I'd be perfectly fine with option 1. If somebody is really concerned about their inventory filling up with dirt, it probably takes five seconds tops to purge or store dirt before going to a new planet.

Grulul and Sower like this.
  15. Loxy

Loxy Pangalactic Porcupine

Option 3 all the way, Any help organising inventories is a thumbs up from me, Terraria was a pain to organise with its chests and the potential for Starbound to have that same problem given the scale already is worry-some.

16. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

I would say option 3, but rather than instant have it change to match the environment over time. Give like a 50% chance to convert each "raw" block in the biome every 60 seconds or something like that. Perhaps make it change instantly if you leave the nearby area, so the game doesn't have to save it differently.

Also, for the option 1 fans give us at least one way to get the non-raw version. Actually, I could argue for having pickaxes work like option 1 and the matter manipulator work like option 3. Would that be doable?

17. Terrahero

Terrahero Cosmic Narwhal

18. Phymone

Phymone Void-Bound Voyager

There was a post ( http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/god-made-dirt-and-dirt-dont-hurt.29126/page-1 ) where that question was massively discussed. Some pretty neat ideas were found, and I want to mention one here that I particularly enjoyed (thanks to Lynx88):

When you pick up a block of dirt, it reverts to the standard brown-coloured dirt block. Then, when placed on a planet, that standard block slowly changes its colour to the dirt around it.

It is quite interesting for three reasons:

- It is as simple for the inventory management as the second and third solutions proposed here. It’s a mix between both of them: you've got only one default "dirt block" in the inventory, but when you put it in a landscape, it does disfigure it as its colour match the ones surrendering it in 1 or 2 seconds.

- It's an improvement of the third solution: the colour of the block you just placed is not directly proper to the planet you’re on, but to the blocks surrendering it. So a block placed in a mini-biome will have that mini-biome’s colour, not the planet’s default colour.

- It doesn't break immersion, as you may explain those changes as scientific issues: the block gets "sterilized" when picked up, so it becomes a default brown block. And when it's placed in an alien soil, it's "contaminated" by it (by it's bacteria, …) , so its aspect “slowly” shift.

I think this idea would be perfect as a default solution. But I would love to be able to right click on the pill of dirt in my inventory and then be able to choose, thanks to a larger menu that popped up, one of the blocks I really picked up and use it directly on another planet for artistic issues (as some people proposed it on this thread).

Finally, I had an idea about the paint-tool: if the one by default have for example 6 colours, why not create some super unique paint-tools with more colours: 12, 24, ... It would become the holy grail for builders. We could even think of dedicated paint-tool: a green paint-tool with 10 variations of green, .... It could be really neat as building is one of the most important aspect of the game!

Diagnosan likes this.
  19. ShadetheDruid

ShadetheDruid Pangalactic Porcupine

I'd prefer option 1.

Though, out of curiousity, if all these options are already coded and ready to go, how easy would it be to have a world option so the player could make the choice when they create a world? I realise that would take some development time to add, but it would be ideal to have an option on world creation of "keep blocks as they're found" vs "like blocks are all the same object".

20. ZanVaelius

ZanVaelius Existential Complex

GeorgeV said to vote for number 3, so I'm going to vote on number 3. Also it makes the most sense :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.