1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Chucklefish has contracted a community creator to make new dungeons!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Varixai, May 19, 2015.

1. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Over on the Starbound subreddit there has been one person, quiqksilver, making tons of awesome dungeon builds and concepts the past several months. Well, Tiyuri and other developers have taken notice and contacted him a little over a week ago. Here is quiqksilver's announcement:
    Here's a compilation video of all of his dungeon concepts the past couple months, with some commentary by him about his new contract:

^ We're getting things like that in the core game!
    P.S. I am pointing all of this out because he doesn't post on the forums and I think more people should see his work. (and be hyped about him creating things for the core game)
    Edit: I use the term contract for lack of a better word. I know he had to sign stuff; however, I have no idea what said stuff entailed.

Edit: @Quiqksilver is now on the forums, yay! He also did a demo of Tiled here.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  2. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

...Interesting, very interesting...

3. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

I skipped to the middle of the video and what I saw is a puzzle that required use of the crouch mechanic
    I very much enjoy what I see

4. Scourger

Scourger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Those look outstanding.

5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

I like it when a developer is willing to ask for direct help with their game like that. Good for him.

Hatsya Souji and Varixai like this.
  6. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

JBeetle likes this post.

Paco495 likes this.
  7. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

Awsome they need to make that map program avellable to everyone and make a place for us to load them up and people to rate them and stuff. That way everyone can have a chance to get maps into the game.

8. lazarus78

There is a place. Here, in the mod section. We don't need that program to make dungeons and missions.

9. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

Some of us arn't as versed in code as others, and others don't have the time to type out stuff in code that they could be doing in something much easier.

And some people can't do that stuff at all, but might have some awesome ideas out there. I know I saw that one girl's leon tribe buildings where amazing but she had not the slightest idea how to code a single thing... so there are likely others out there making amazing artistic buildings and the like that don't even think to ask for help and just don't bother to try and share because they don't think it's possable beyond screen shots.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  10. Wow, those dungeons do look pretty neat. That's really cool :)

11. Mr.PotatoFudge

Mr.PotatoFudge Phantasmal Quasar

i love the ocean ones
    current oceans so plain

12. lazarus78

There is little coding Involved. It is done mostly through pixel maps, which is not far off from the texture maps you create with Tiled. If someone has the competency to make a functioning dungeon setup in game, then they are easily capable of figuring out the little bit of coding necessary to make is a mod if they put in the time. In fact, Tiled does NOT negate the need to add coding to make the dungeon space playable in game.

As any teacher would say, saying you can't do something is just setting yourself up for failure. Mod making for starbound is quite easy. It is probably the easiest game to mod I've ever played.

13. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

All I can say is wow.... Those are some nice ones. Really like the ocean world ones.:)

14. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

There is plenty codding, particularly if you want wires.

And while I can't say rather or not there are people who truely could never figure it out if they put enough time into it, not everyone is willing to put that amount of time into learning that to share there ideas. Having something that is easy for everyone to use opens the door to lots of ideas.

You should know also that you can't say how easy or hard something is, as that is quite a subjective thing, and there are people out there that it is just to hard to bother with who like I said have shown some amazing work that would be cool if it was in the game. Why should they have to beg other people to take there pictures and turn them into mods when some one can make or release something that is easy enough for them to use.

Like an creative mode in game where you can build this kinda stuff in game.

15. TheFudgement

TheFudgement Ketchup Robot

I liked the underwater ones (Sunken ship and the skeleton in particular) and the satellite-type buildings.

The other ones were kinda... Too complex for me. The characters in Starbound are rather hard to control, and these things require precision.