Chucklefish are Hiring

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Mar 19, 2014.

1. StarBrethren

StarBrethren Phantasmal Quasar

Yeah I guess you're right. Kinda shooting myself in the foot aren't I? Oh well! Why hire a guy on to do something he's already doing, a very good point!

2. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

well, that, and as was mentioned, that sort of thing does kinda fall under the purview of CRM.

however, it might be a good idea to get users like you to do what you are doing, and perhaps get a little push of support.

i mean,. who needs CF to pay you if you can get enough traffic to make your youtube your job?

so perhaps, the suggestion to make would be to give a spotlight to content creators like you on the newsletter, or perhaps select one randomly every so often to receive a "mod" of an upcoming update to showcase it all for the news post. didnt they do something like that when they announced the smoov mcgroov mic?

3. StarBrethren

I've tried getting their attention with my channel but like you said, why bother sending us traffic when we're already doing our own thing without it.
    And yeah they did that with SmoothMcGroove but he's a huge channel that can benefit Chucklefish as much as it would benefit McGroove. CF isn't going to spend time helping a channel with 6.4k subscribers and sadly I can't blame them.

4. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

oh, it was his own channel? i could not load the page due to bandwidth concerns, so i did not know.

5. Drakaden

Drakaden Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ah man, yea it's shooting yourself in the foot, although i wish for you it wasn't, your video walkthroughs helps a heap.

6. StarBrethren

Thank you Drakaden! I never did all of this with the intention of garnering their attention anyways, I'm happy to be helping this community out : )

Yeah he has a channel with over 800k subs
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJvBEEqTaLaKclbCPgIjBSQ

7. AdenSword

AdenSword Pangalactic Porcupine

IMPROPER GRAMMAR TIY! it should be chucklefish IS hiring (unless there is more than 1 chucklefish... :O)

8. QuaziPance

QuaziPance Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have degrees in physics and math, and my only real programming experience is in fortran doing computational physics ( Although, back in high school I made a text-based RPG in C++, so I don't have ZERO video game experience). Anyways, sometimes I feel like instead of spending so much time in school I should have just focused more on video games. Let this be a message to today's youth: don't focus so much on your studies; they will get in the way of your obsession with video games and then you'll be almost 30 and not meet any of the requirements to join a team working on a pirate-zelda-rogue-like.

severedskullz likes this.
  9. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

I could probably be the music maker depending on the type of music you want to hear.
    but im not really sure what type of music you're aiming at. And i wouldn't really be able to
    explore or go anywhere. so.

10. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

*sigh*

RynCage and AdenSword like this.
  11. AdenSword

AdenSword Pangalactic Porcupine

oops LOL sorry :rofl: *embarrassed face*

12. Fisguard

Fisguard Void-Bound Voyager

Definitely gonna apply as soon as I get back from GDC! Hope you guys are interested in an artist.

13. SugarShow

SugarShow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Starbound beta stage from beta unifinished starts another proyect instead finish the beta.:facepalm:

D-16 likes this.
  14. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

Please do note the "Were making another team". This means that "The game will not be delayed because the team that normally works on it will not be working on the other game."

Chuckles just gotten big enough to handle two games at once. All thanks to us :)

dkdeath likes this.
  15. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

If only this was a few years in the future and I would be done with college and have my computer programming degree, and a much better understanding of lua.

16. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

diverting resources from starbound, as well as the project lead's attention.

no, it is not a good idea. if major studios shut down because of this kind of thing (and many have) what chance does CF have? sure, things might look okay for a while, but it will end badly.

17. Drakaden

Drakaden Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm actually with D-16 on that train of thought, they are still learning how to do it all in an organized fashion with 1 game, so imagine the lead having to divert it's attention into 2.

18. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

There ya go. :) In case youd like to make the argument that they might run out of money, do realize they were doing Starbound before they had money, they can continue doing so. After all, we made their wildest dreams come true, were the reason why they have those offices to begin with. :) You should be happy that such a studio is working on something else! AND doing Starbound. Theyre giving several lucky people jobs in an up and coming publisher that has had a blockbuster game already!

19. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

no, i am not happy with the waste of resources on a petty office, especially in one of the most expensive cities in thew world.

no, i am not happy they are building something else with the money paid for starbound before starbound is complete. with the observed pace of work thus far (2 years + 3 months, give or take) they have not shown they can deliver even what they told us they would. not yet. as has become my recent mantra: terreria did more in less time with less people, and tiy was one of them.

this is a very bad business decision. bad business decisions do not make me happy.

oh, also, that other team is paid from money that really should be spent on completing starbound, and tiy _IS_ going to run both teams. mark my words.

unless things change drastically, things will get very ugly around here within 6 months.

misho and Neko_Kotori like this.
  20. Neko_Kotori

Neko_Kotori Void-Bound Voyager

One thing i've never understood is why put the offices in London, everything is more expensive, people I know are paying as much for their weekly rent as we pay in a whole month. TBH, London is at the bottom of the country...Manchester would have been a better suited city location. Or Newcastle, lotta smaller gaming companies there and CS Gaming students who would throw themselves at a small dev companies feet. You're not even mentioning what the pay starts at? Knowing the base pay gives people a good idea of what budget they would have to live on before they even consider accepting or applying for a job in London
    You prefer people to travel to london.....i'll just go pay £150 for my return train ticket

misho and D-16 like this.