Chucklefish are Hiring

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

Do you? Have you crunched the numbers? Would you care to share? Why are you being so negative?

2. Jarod

Jarod Cosmic Narwhal

I find it pretty hysterical that relogic is also making a pirate game.

On another note, I just realized that the Chucklefish logo changes when you switch pages, I like the one with a penguin wearing a wizard hat in front of it.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
    Johan likes this.
  3. dkdeath

dkdeath Contact!

I love these discussions about Chucklefishes incompetence from all the wannabe economists and game developers around here. So far they have:
    1. Created an awesome game (beta) with a huge following.
    2. Continue polishing and updating said game on a regular basis (daily/weekly/biweekly).
    3. Have a great relationship with customers and maintain regular open communication (less a few dozen trolls).

Even if they run out of money in a few months or make the worst game of all time next, I'd say they are far from incompetent.

4. Jarod

Jarod Cosmic Narwhal

Okay guys, the reason they are making another game (I'm pretty sure) is because,first off, Tiy is very good at running a business. Starbound already earned a TON of money, and between that and publishing (great move), they have a lot of money. So they could either; continue working on Starbound, complete it, and then make another game; or start another game while they still have revenue coming in; therefore, expanding the company and creating bigger profit while increasing their infamy (or recognizability or whatever). They also become more stable by having multiple sources of income.
    There is really no reason for a company expanding this fast to stop and wait. No matter how good Starbound is, people can only play one copy themselves, and without creating a name for themselves they will quickly run out of an audience that knows about the game and hasn't bought it.
    (Don't bother saying you can donate, I already realize people throw their money at Chucklefish)

5. SweFox

SweFox Guest

How DARE they hire people for another project???? HOW DARE THEY DO MULTIPLE THINGS.

6. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

They aren't making it. They are publishing it

7. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

Ah. Well that's kind of interesting.

8. Flameofice

Flameofice Pangalactic Porcupine

Relevant sound effect

9. Dashpenguin

Dashpenguin Subatomic Cosmonaut

What I mean is the current game isn't even finished yet. I'm not against spreading out and making a new game, but when Starbound isn't ready yet, why right now? Why this soon?

10. Smiley

Smiley Void-Bound Voyager

D: I wish I can apply, but I am only graduating as a game designer by Spring 2015.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  11. dkdeath

dkdeath Contact!

Because development cycle for a game can be several years, and to remain profitable they need to release games fairly frequently (probably every year). They are trying get a conveyor belt of games going. Having multiple projects simmering on the backburner while focusing majority of development on the ones closer to completion makes sense.

12. blobjim

blobjim Subatomic Cosmonaut

There are multiple chuckle-fish (the employees) :p

13. Blitzlegion

Blitzlegion Big Damn Hero

That secondary game is very app like. Its for a very specific gullible looking audience. Download free and purchase in game items kind of game. I honestly would love to make artwork for chucklefish. My sketchbook is used on a daily basis. Ive been to art college and university. Back on topic. Wouldn't want to work on project two. However starbound, has A LOT OF POTENTIAL for both future profit and consumer fun. Its pixel look, game engine, and amazing soundtrack make it a top game in my books.

14. Idlemind

Idlemind Subatomic Cosmonaut

Looks like a bargain bin title.. please consider a grittier art style..

15. cooler_sk

cooler_sk Void-Bound Voyager

What can i do if i mostly fit in last category and dont have any projects finished?

16. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

someone needs to be realistic here. london is more expensive to live than any city in the US. a studio apartment (read: one room) in new york runs what, 2, 2.5 grand a month? then factor in commercially zoned real estate costs generally ten times as much for the same floorspace....

or look it up yourself and see that it's so expensive that they do not even list prices, call for a quote. serious inquiries only. (if you dont know, generally, when no price is advertized this means that whatever it is is prohibitively expensive)

stopped reading here. no. tiy is good at bringing hype. i'll let you know when i see tiy visibly make a good business decision. as of yet, i have nothing.

i contend your points.

1. they have put out a mediocre alpha, a very pale shadow of what was promised.

2. never daily, and only now hitting weekly. this is a far cry from what we were told to expect around new year's ("daily updates", "updates will come hard and fast")

3. no. they do not have enough, or the right channels of communication. nor would i call their relationship with us very good. it wasent that long ago we had to remind them that this is the starbound website, not reddit.

Madzai likes this.
  17. StarBrethren

StarBrethren Phantasmal Quasar

Have you considered hiring a "face" for starbound? Someone who does public videos for you explaining the content as well as "visions" and pretty much anything else of the company? I feel this would be a strong move for Chucklefish as it would strengthen the relationship between you and your fans.

This is something I'd be very interested in achieving for you. I have a strong "speaker" voice and am very comfortable in front of cameras. "Public" speaking is not an issue for me and I'm skilled in coming up with dialogue on the spot especially considering it's kinda my job right now as I run a YouTube Channel currently with a strong community!

I have the hardware to support this endeavor as well. I currently use a Blue Yeti with a Logitech C920 (Which I intend on upgrading). I'm familiar with how to utilize chroma key and it's effects as well as being very skilled at video/audio editing as I have to do it each and every day.

I'm reliable and consistent as well. I haven't missed a single day of videos for my channel!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    BlueSmoke likes this.
  18. Pirate-rob

Pirate-rob Phantasmal Quasar

I thought this was Molly's job? :p

dkdeath likes this.
  19. StarBrethren

StarBrethren Phantasmal Quasar

She does but I'm aiming more towards a video approach. A full showcase of the new content that gets offered. If she does videos somewhere that I may have missed, I apologize!

20. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

do not take offense to this, please.

you are basically asking to be paid for what you are already doing now, right?