Chucklefish are Hiring

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Cobalt Lightning

Cobalt Lightning Existential Complex

I would help, but I'm in a remote location and my skills are moreso in bug-testing every single little thing and modding every other single little thing until all the planets gain sentience and eat me as soon as I beam down.

True story, I managed to turn all the blocks of one planet into hostile burd monsters at one point.

RenaldiForumStar likes this.
  2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I love the concept art style - I wish I could draw as good.
    But game looks too mobilesque for my personal tastes.

3. Johan

Johan Phantasmal Quasar

I have not developed games, true, but I assure you it would take less adapting more personnel, with poor rhythm they carry now

4. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

Maybe, but without a lot more information it seems rather unlikely.

Scourger likes this.
  5. Scourger

Scourger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm on a development team right now for a game in college and I've gotten much more done with LESS people. More people doesn't always mean faster development. It usually means more problems and conflicts. They are moving at a good pace now; I'm not sure what game you've been watching.

Darklight likes this.
  6. TheBigBlueSerpent

TheBigBlueSerpent Existential Complex

To work with a wonderful small game company.. My dream job..
    it will most likely NEVER happen.

I can only hope another one just as good comes along when I'm older and more experienced. :)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  7. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

It depends on whether it's plural or not. In this case, "fish" can be singular or plural but since "Chucklefish" is referring to a company (singular) it doesn't make sense to use "are" instead of "is".

Yeah, I had the same thought. I'd rather not move to London and I doubt my not-quite-graduated experience would make me an "ideal candidate" :rofl:

8. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

i think you missed:

9. Mutant1988

Mutant1988 Void-Bound Voyager

Because they would like to have salaries and jobs in the future as well?

You take the profits you make from one project (Profits is the money they make past the estimated original budget they needed to fill) and invest it into the next.

Ping and The | Suit like this.
  10. [pixelmonster]

[pixelmonster] Big Damn Hero

You are NOT alone...
    I agree... although sadly I have only gotten ~75 hours out of said game :( (which clearly is not enough!!!)
    But that is still 5 times my 15$ I think that counts as time AND money well spent (especially considering that hour count will keep going up...)

Also when Tiy first mentioned this new pirate game, although i was already supportive of the idea, I was unsure exactly how it would go and if it would be a game I would be interested in. I can see now that this game does have potential to be something I might be interested in. I support the game and I have full confidence Chucklefish will finish Starbound and that this new game will not be a hindrance. Besides, if UnnamedPirateGame does become a problem, it will be dropped not Starbound.

Look forward to further progress in both games...

11. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

they cannot have a budget, as they cannot know when starbound will be complete.

they have received no profit as yet. they have received advanced funding.

also: a pirate themed dungeon roguelike is a stupid idea, and a waste of a good concept. throwaway roguelikes are common nowadays. you'd be better served making something akin to uncharted waters or sid meyer's pirates!.

12. [pixelmonster]

Do not worry. If there is a problem involving resources or whatever, it will be UnnamedPirateGame that gets dropped and likely as many devs as possible (from the pirate game) will move to that project. There is no reason to believe that a prototype project will be chosen over an already-released game backed by hundreds of thousands of fans.

13. dkdeath

dkdeath Contact!

FYI: My 100 hours estimate includes both game time and time spent lurking or interacting with trolls on this board. Sometimes the trolls are more entertaining than the game.

14. [pixelmonster]

Indeed... My 75 hours is the number steam gave me... I have likely played slightly more offline that steam didn't track...

15. Ebelle

Ebelle Void-Bound Voyager

Do you honestly think a company does not think ahead in terms of money? I'm positive they know what they're dealing with in the future and have planned their money usage on what needs to be done. Chucklefish is a very competent team as far as I've seen.

Edit: Actually nevermind. I've seen your posts around before. You're way too negative and opinionated with no logic or proof behind it. You may think what you wish. However, it's far more stupid for a company to try to make one game with nothing else on the way.

Darklight likes this.
  16. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

my observations indicate the opposite.

if CF knows enough about a release date to make an effective budget, they know enough to announce the release date, and make it.

17. Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

I'm pretty sure that out of that $4million from sales they have set aside more than enough to cover what they need to finish starbound and are in a good position to start work on a second project. It's smart to start a second project before finishing the first if you have the resources to do so, because it cuts the amount of time between the releases of the games, and if you've got a hit game on your hands (which Chucklefish have with Starbound) then you'll have a good crowd of people looking up your next game, whatever it will be, hoping it will be of the same quality or better. But if you go too long before releasing your next game then people will forget about Chucklefish because they've been having so much fun with the latest hit game of a rival company.

dkdeath likes this.
  18. I would definitely be interested in applying. Where do I sign up?

19. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Your observations are also biased

dkdeath likes this.
  20. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

you dont know the price of office space in london, do you?

all in all, i'd be properly amazed if they did not run out of funds by december.

real world experience creates a hell of a bias in someone.