Chemistry: infinite, procedurally-generated compounds.

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by Pseudoboss, Sep 25, 2013.

1. misterwit

misterwit Space Spelunker

The customization and maxing out of equipment comes from exploration and crafting already, and your system threatens to add itself as an additional step that must be performed to get what you want. Even if the upgrades they provide give the player an advantage equivalent to a half-tier upgrade, the level of power a player who uses chemistry is markedly different from the power of a player who doesn't because the effects are compounding. A player who uses them to full effect is not only benefiting from buffs from potions, but also the effects given to him by the upgrades he has made to all of his weapons and armor. If it can be safely said that chemistry will not take a long time (IE: 4 hrs) then consider how much faster a player who chooses not to use chemistry must climb the tier ladder to remain competitive with his alchemic adversary. If the use of chemistry becomes too easy, it becomes critical to play and adds complexity that could just be added to the weapon and armor loot RNG's and call it a day. If the use of chemistry becomes too hard, it is effectively exclusive to end-game players looking to max out and could potentially be levied as an unfair advantage. I know my soapboxing is getting a little tired, but I still adamantly support this ONLY as a mechanic for making medical supplies. A mechanic this complex should not be used simply as a crutch to existing mechanics that appear to stand on their own already. It should be it's own thing - a separate mechanic which creates a whole new way to play completely separate to the existing framwork, but still in support of it.

2. jiuribu

jiuribu Seal Broken

pictures?:whaaat:

Pseudoboss likes this.
  3. Pseudoboss

Pseudoboss Spaceman Spiff

Maybe, eventually