1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Character progress reset.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Kroznick, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Kroznick

Kroznick Void-Bound Voyager

I had to do a hard shut down after quitting starbound.
    When I came back my ship warped to a random gentle star. All my teleporter locations were gone as were my bookmarks. The outpost was reset to its initial state but almost all my completed quests were still there.
    Story-wise I was at the point where I have to scan Avian stuff.
    I did that and completed the dungeon after. Game's still acting like I didn't do everything before. The door at the Arc only has the Avian Jewel in it and the Floran and Hylotol are both missing from there still.
    As far as builds go I only put stuff in my ship and it all stayed. I don't know if other planets were affected.

Is there any way to fix this?

2. Trinosaur

Trinosaur Big Damn Hero

This is a very common issue I keep seeing. Happened to me too after a BSOD and others after random game crashes or power outages. Honestly, it looks to me like if the game shuts down while its still trying to overwrite your "universe" information it will become corrupted and end it .fail. It doesn't back it up or create a copy that you can go back to in case something happens. It seems like it's fundamentally wrong and I'm REALLY hoping it will get fixed soon because it's more than a little ridiculous. :(

3. Kroznick

Kroznick Void-Bound Voyager

I'm gonna see if redoing a mission will get progress back.
    The quest with the bears got reset at the outpost so I can complete that again.
    --- Post updated ---
    Nope. The artifacts are gone from their pedestals.
    EDIT: Plant Girl and the floran artifact appeared in the arc

4. Trinosaur

Trinosaur Big Damn Hero

yeah, you literally have to redo everything at the outpost and it freaking sucks. I really want to play again but I don't think I could handle going through this again. Staff needs to fix it ASAP.

5. Zeklo

Zeklo Heliosphere

Mine reset and now I can't access the ruin since the quest to get the last artifact is done via unrepeatable dialogue. Anyone got a work around?

6. Nott Emportant

Nott Emportant Space Hobo

7. Trinosaur

Trinosaur Big Damn Hero

yeah, we know how to find our lost bookmarks etc. The lost progress is the problem and something I am NOT ok with.

8. SamuFinland

SamuFinland Phantasmal Quasar

I have the same problem, it happed after updating the game to 1.0.1

I managed to find my starting planet. The Outpost has been reset...

9. loveofchaos

loveofchaos Space Hobo

This needs to be fixed, I found my home base again and reactivated my teleporter but the outpost progress has reset and im actually sad, I put so much time into this since release

edit- The bear quest is there and ester doesnt give the intro quest, unless theres a fix for this I cant see myself replaying, I was hoping starbound 1.0 would be free of these game breaking issues

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  10. SamuFinland

SamuFinland Phantasmal Quasar

I found a simple solution. You can redo the quests as a new character. Outpost progress is shared between all characters in the same computer. After that just switch back to your original character and you can keep playing normally. I just did that, it took surprisingly little time.

11. Pentane Pictor

Pentane Pictor Intergalactic Tourist

I have a question for you, Kroznick, or anyone else who has had this issue. When you did your hard shut-down, were you logged in on the Ark/Outpost, on your ship, in a mission, or on a specific world? I believe there are several variants of a single bug going around, I have a thread up here explaining it.

12. loveofchaos

loveofchaos Space Hobo

I was pretty far into the story, "just redo it all" isnt the answer I was looking for
    --- Post updated ---
    I was on my base planet which is a barren one on a temperate star I think

13. nomaki

nomaki Space Hobo

For anyone else who finds their way here for the same issue (Outpost progress being reset), paraphrased from this Reddit post are the commands you can type into the chat window to restore your progress:

First, you will need to make yourself an Admin

WARNING! This also unlocks absolutely everything from crafting, tech upgrades etc; so for the sake of not ruining all the fun for yourself, try to avoid doing anything whilst Admin mode is enabled!

If you are playing single player, you can just type:

Code:
    /admin
    to grant yourself Admin rights in your universe

If you are hosting a multiplayer server, see this update log to add yourself as an Admin to your universe.

Once you have admin rights, type in one of the following commands based on your prior progress in the story:

Have you done the scan quest?

Code:
    /setuniverseflag outpost_mission1

Have you found the Floran artifact?

Code:
    /setuniverseflag outpost_mission2

Have you found the Hylotl artifact?

Code:
    /setuniverseflag outpost_mission3

Have you found the Avian artifact?

Code:
    /setuniverseflag outpost_mission4

Have you found the Apex artifact?

Code:
    /setuniverseflag outpost_mission5

Have you found the Glitch artifact?

Code:
    /setuniverseflag outpost_mission6

Once you have made sure your Outpost is back to how it was, just type

Code:
    /admin
    or remove yourself from the server's admin list to disable Admin mode and go back to bounding across the stars!

TakasuRyuji and Trinosaur like this.
  14. Trinosaur

Trinosaur Big Damn Hero

Nice. I'm going to quote this into the thread I created regarding this. I'm trying to compile as much information as I can, both so people have an all-in-one reference for how to fix the issue and so that starbound staff can find it. If there's anything else I can add, let me know!

15. Poter789

Poter789 Void-Bound Voyager

I do not speak English. Bom consegui resolver este problema, minha energia elétrica caiu e desligou o Computador, quando voltei os arquivos na pasta player estavam com a palavra (fail) então na mesma pasta observei que existia uma cordenada com a data mais antiga, reparei que foi a primeira vez que visitei o planeta então usei estas coordenadas na minha nave e fui para ver, ai descobri que era meu mundo com a minha casa intaquita. então resumindo, vá para a pasta C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\storage\universe e você encontrara vários arquivos assim exemplo: -203911998_-830883659_-192290655_8_1. word, repare que deixei em negrito(X -203911998 e Y-830883659) essas duas numerações eram as coordenadas do meu mundo que avia perdido. Uma dica pra saber qual e o seu mundo, e só você pegar o arquivo com a data mais antiga, pelo menos para mim isso funcionou, ou então você testa todas as coordenadas ate encontrar seu planeta, espero ter ajudado.