1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Celestar Race 0.3.0 Upbeat Overhaul

This mod adds a vibrantly colorful race of extragalactic nomads to the game.

1. Auren

Auren Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Auren submitted a new mod:

Celestar Race - This mod adds a chromatically colorful race to the game themed as technologically advanced nomads fr

Read more about this mod...

2. AmieYuki

AmieYuki Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hello,

I really like the lore of your custom race and their appearance. I've spent longer than I'd like to admit trying to find the perfect skin/eye/hair/clothes color combination. However, there appears to be a bug where the race shows up twice in the character creation menu.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  3. Auren

Yeah, I went through a few different changes to the color tones to keep them from blending with each other or the clothing tones without becoming too saturated/desaturated. I left the default clothing colors in though as I assume they'll be used by dyes in the future.

I'm not sure what would cause the duplication, though I probably messed up a merge command somewhere.

4. BongaFish

BongaFish Void-Bound Voyager

Your theme seems to lack a base culture and stereotype. This of course isn't a big issue, but it is something every race has to make them seem realistic and relatable.

Humans are "Modern American" and militaristic; Apex are "Third Reich German" and totalitarian scientists; Hylotls are "Feudal Japanese" and snobby artists; Glitch are "Medieval England" stubborn sheep; Floran are "Berber North African" vicious tribesmen.

These traits shine through via logs and dialog.

Your race looks like they're inspired by elves, both by their appearance and apparent "magical" technology. So I guess assuming them to be based around a real-world culture isn't possible, but Starbound could use a "fantasy-esque" race.

At any rate, a negative stereotype could breath some life into them. Otherwise their lore just might seem lacking when put beside the other races. Ya need something to sum them up as a whole!

5. Auren

Auren updated Celestar Race with a new update entry:

Quick Fix

Read the rest of this update entry...

6. Auren

7. Auren

I've been mulling around ideas for possible replacements for the placeholder weapons and I think I'm going to continue what I started with the hammers and upper tier spears and go with a sort of storm/elemental theme to the designs. I'll have to spend some time drawing up sketches first because when I was making the full set of hammers I had difficulty making designs that looked more impressive without looking too much like a lower tier version. I've also considered the possibility of adding elemental secondary attacks to the weapons to make them stand out a little from other craftable sets, though to balance I'll probably lower the base damage, increase pixel cost or add an energy cost to the weapons (the latter might be appropriate for their advanced tech).

I have also been thinking of possible additions to backtstory content especially since "high-tech nomads" is rather vague and I may start adding codexes and data logs down the line from older, long-lost scout ships and such to give more backstory. I also want to see what is planned for the full quest system in the future because having a full fledged story arc to play through would be a big benefit to the race. I also want to add a few other early settlements for them as well from other scout ships that were sent out. Not sure how hostile I will make some of them as their leadership prefers more peaceful contacts if possible, but I may add some hostile groups either due to bad first contacts, desire to defend their new home or general madness from being separated from the main fleet in a strange environment.

How soon I get all of this done depends on how much free time I am able to set aside and how quickly I can figure out the scripting without breaking anything too severely. Right now I want to focus a little more on finishing up the basics and cosmetics before moving on the the heavy stuff.

8. Xentor Antarix

Xentor Antarix Ketchup Robot

Hmm sounds cool.
    I miss real a good worked out High Tech Race.
    The normal Races are all so (sorry) maximum 80 s style.

9. Auren

10. Juzztn

Juzztn Void-Bound Voyager

can you release it as a .zip for the mac people?? :)

11. Auren

Axes and Misc.

TheSilentObserver likes this.
  12. TheSilentObserver

TheSilentObserver Big Damn Hero

I just wanted to pop in here and let you know that this is hands-down my FAVORITE custom race mod.

Particularly entertaining, I played a Celestar character with the fully customizable ship mod and built her what had to have been the most horrifyingly (amazingly) dilapidated piece of junk ever to cross the 'verse. I'm talking a mix of 'rusty metal', junk tech, light metal, various support beams, and anything else I could think of to hold the thing together. It was beautiful, and made me feel very much a part of the lore of your work.

Sadly, I lost S'ora and the work of art that was her ship, the K'lith'a'ra, to a black hole (hard drive finally gave up the ghost)... but not before forging some memories I'll not soon forget.

Just wanted to share, and give ya a thumbs up for your awesome work.

Once I get back up and running tonight, maybe I'll try posting some screenies of the K'lith'a'ra mk. II.

-Cheers!

13. Auren

Thanks. I've actually been having a lot of fun making this mod, even if I don't always have the free time to work on it. If you are able to recreate your previous ship I would love to see it because it sounds like it was a real junker. :)

Actually, if anyone else wants to post screenshots too I would love to see the results of my mod's use. It may even give me some inspirations for stuff down the road.

14. Auren

15. Auren

Staves (Hammers) and Spears

16. TheSilentObserver

TheSilentObserver Big Damn Hero

Just out of curiosity, but is it a known thing that the impervium chestplate is, on females, nothing but a pair of sleeves?

Just wondering, 'cuz I finally upgraded to them tonight and found poor S'ora pulling an Adam Jensen in the middle of a blizzard on Ice World. Only, y'know... a bit chestier.

adam-jensen-1280x800.jpg

17. Auren

18. Auren

Yeah, that was apparently a leftover from when I initially edited copies of the human armor when I was was setting up a working template. Since the human armor doesn't have a variation for male and female it wasn't directing to the right files, and I hadn't caught it yet because I've only tested the first four tiers so far. I plan on going through the armors soon once I'm done with the last weapon sets. Have just had a lack of free time and I haven't figured out what theme to use for the bladed weapons yet.

19. Auren

Weapon Design Completion

20. Auren

Huh, weird. The version number and upload date didn't change. Double checked the file though and the new stuff is in there, but it should say version 0.2.2 and March 1st on the site, but oh well.

I also updated the mod overview page with some little lore clips on the weapons as well as a picture at the bottom showing what all six weapon classes look like for every tier.