Modding Help Can't get items into my crafting table.

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Yopt, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Yopt

Yopt Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm still trying to figure out all that modding thingie. Now I've looked through a guide on how to create a crafting table, and actually it does appear in the game with the values that were written in the Object file. The thing is I can't get any items to appear in that crafting station. I've took several guides examples, so the names/description could make no sense, but I'd like to make it work first, then I'll get to the items and sprites.

So, I have a crafting station called Bookinator and I would like it to be able to craft one Codex out of another. Here is my mod folder:

\steamapps\common\Starbound\mods\CodexMachine --- CodexMachine was the first name of the mod
    \CodexMachine.modinfo

{
    "name" : "CodexMachine",
    "version" : "Cheerful Giraffe 1.0.3",
    "path" : ".",
    "dependencies" : [],
    "metadata" : {
    "author" : "Yopt",
    "version" : "0.1",
    "description" : "My first mod"
    }
    }

\player.config.patch

[
    {"op":"add","path":"/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-","value":{"item":"bookinator"}},
    {"op":"add","path":"/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-","value":{"item":"bookinator_esthersjournal"}},
    {"op":"add","path":"/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-","value":{"item":"bookinator_test"}}
    ]

-----\objects\crafting\bookinator\
    ----------bookinator.frames

{
    "frameGrid" : {
    "size" : [32, 29],
    "dimensions" : [1, 1],
    "names" : [
    [ "default" ]
    ]
    }
    }

----------bookinator.object

{
    "objectName" : "bookinator",
    "category" : "crafting",
    "rarity" : "legendary",
    "description" : "Well Read achievement awaits!",
    "shortdescription" : "Bookinator",
    "race" : "generic",
    "interactAction" : "OpenCraftingInterface",
    "interactData" : {
    "config" : "/interface/windowconfig/crafting.config",
    "paneLayoutOverride" : {
    "windowtitle" : {
    "title" : " Bookinator",
    "subtitle" : " Mass books",
    "icon" : {
    "file" : "/interface/crafting/anvil.png"
    }
    }
    },
    "filter" : [ "bookinator" ]
    },
    "printable" : false,
    "price" : 100,

"apexDescription" : "An anvil. The Apex haven't used these for metalwork for a long, long time.",
    "avianDescription" : "A large slab of iron with a flat surface.",
    "floranDescription" : "Very heavy, usseful in a trap.",
    "glitchDescription" : "Educate. The Glitch craft all sorts of weapons on these anvils. They even craft anvils on these anvils.",
    "humanDescription" : "An anvil. Humans haven't used these since early in their history.",
    "hylotlDescription" : "Probably used in metal work.",

"inventoryIcon" : "bookinator.png",
    "orientations" : [
    {
    "dualImage" : "bookinator.png:<color>",

"imagePosition" : [-8, 0],
    "frames" : 1,
    "animationCycle" : 1.0,

"spaceScan" : 0.1,
    "anchors" : [ "bottom" ]

}
    ]

}

----------bookinator.png

-----\recipes\inventorstable1\
    ----------bookinator.recipe

{
    "input" : [
    { "item" : "money", "count" : 10 }
    ],
    "output" : {
    "item" : "bookinator",
    "count" : 1
    },
    "groups" : [ "inventorstable", "objects", "all" ]
    }

-----\recipes\bookinator
    ----------bookinator_esthersjournal.recipe

{
    { "item" : "hylotlmission1", "count" : 1 }
    ],
    "output" : [
    { "item" : "esthersjournal", "count" : 1 }
    ]
    "groups" : [ "bookinator" ]
    }

----- bookinator_test.recipe --- Just wanted to see if more simple items would work, but nope

{
    { "item" : "cobblestonematerial", "count" : 5 }
    ],
    "output" : {
    "item" : "cobblestonematerial",
    "count" : 1
    },
    "groups" : [ "bookinator" ]
    }

There is also one big question that bothers me - I've seen a lot of people adding new items and I think I can follow their pattern in the means of which folders to create, how to code correct properties etc. But what if I don't want to add any new items, but just want to craft the items that are already in the game, without altering their stats? So basically I need a crafting station that can craft core game item out of another core item.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

There you go.

3. Yopt

Yopt Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh god, thank you very much! I was trying to put a separate edit, because for the first glance it looked like I've duplicated my own text and make it twice longer. But only after deleting it I've realised it just didn't let me create a separate thread, so actually those were merged and well... Thanks again =]
    --- Post updated ---
    By the way I think I might have realized my mistake - I've added some items instead of recipes, but did not actually created any new items, so maybe that's why there is nothing at my crafting table. But then another question - if I'm not really up for creating new items, but rather want to make new recipes for the Vanilla game items (for example, as I stated in the first couple of senteces, create one Codex out of another), is it actually possible without copypasting core items into my mod directory?

4. jjcm04

jjcm04 Twenty-three is number one

Instead of copying and pasting you create a .patch at the end of the file you would like to add the items too. For example in my mod I wanted to update the egg and have the player learn blueprints when they pick up the egg. So I patched the egg.consumable file by adding a .patch at the end and code like this
    [
    [
    { "op" : "add", "path" : "/learnBlueprintsOnPickup/-", "value" : "your blueprint here"}
    ]
    ]
    so their wouldn't be a need to copy and paste from the original file. I hope I am making some sense. I am learning a lot more of this as well, but I thought I would share my experiences. The community is great with helping people making patches and with their code. Just go the the IRC live chat and I am sure someone will help out.

5. Yopt

Yopt Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Where can I grab the adress / link to that IRC chat? I haven't used this type of chats for ages, so not sure I remember all the stuff.

6. jjcm04

Its right on the main page under community links. Hope this helps

7. Yopt

Yopt Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Solved the problem with the help of Zoomah in the IRC. There was a syntax error in my newbie code, everything works fine now, thanks!

8. jjcm04

Yeah :rofl: I was also in the chat at the same time getting help with my mod errors xD glad yours is fixed.