Modding Help Can you trigger Codex updates upon item pickup?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by MetaFace, Mar 24, 2017.

1. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

Quick question about codexes, can you actually make the game add a certain codex to your player's little book just by picking an item up? I'd like this far better than dropping a book item as well and having the player activate it, that way as soon as the item is in their inventory the game will just go ahead and update the player codex.

2. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

ik that u can trigger crafting recipies on pickup, and there's this mod that triggers a mission on pickup and deletes the item. the mod is MadTulip's Spaceship Mod if you want to check it out

i personally don't know how to do this, but u might find it in that mod

3. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

Well I know crafting recipes work, didn't know about missions being triggered by pick up (although I know they can use item pickups as events), the problem is that codexes are "items" in a sense, they are something you can apparently spawn... I mean if I could merge the code for the codex functions with normal items then this would be easy.

Sadly I don't know where, if at all, the code is for adding a codex to the player list is, and since this has to do with the player that probably means its hard coded again...

4. Nexus Of Chaos

mayube make a mission that instantly adds a codex? idk

5. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

Can missions do that? (I was going to make a whole after-story mission anyways)

6. Nexus Of Chaos

idk, but it would b cool

i'm not sure if i'm right, but the protectorate codexes either are available on spawn, or are available after the mission

7. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

That's actually correct, you spawn with them no matter what.

*side note* (sorry for the massive delay on your sprite sheet, transitioning over to a new laptop and am taking a bit of break from the cpu intensive things like image editing and modeling, as well as most of my modding. I also noted (as I took a look at your problem) that the game uses the same body frame for two poses where the head is in different positions, so I'll have to make a new idle frame, frame file, and patch the poses for the players.)

8. Nexus Of Chaos

actually, u can just copy the head to where it would be, remove the pixels that are in the head's area, and then remove the head

9. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Nah, they can't, codexes are pretty hardcoded

10. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

I thought that, I guess I'm going to have to sell out to the game...