1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Can we please stop calling it Colonization when it's really not?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by RamsiC, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Lintton

Lintton Guest

You have to balance what you want out of the system with how hard it will be to manage it when it expands. If the colony becomes a ball and chain that the player has to micromanage at the risk of losing his stuff, then it can take away from enjoying other aspects of gameplay.

2. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

I'm hoping this is Chucklefish starting the mold for something expansive later on. We do need a proper town system, maybe this is just the basis for that. I highly doubt it though. I see this turning into just some superficial NPC thing that is only appealing on the surface and for about an hour. Hope I get proven wrong.

Bierbart, khalismur and Kirumaru like this.
  3. SugarShow

SugarShow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Since there isn't point to build colonization have non-sense. Rather colonization I'll like "Hire" Npc as mercenary, miner, and random house builder.

4. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

I would also like to see different deed types, I'd say tenant (villager), merchant, and guard. Then those deeds could have like one extra item they require, then their quality and race would be dictated by amount and quality (price value) of furniture.
    Merchants would have smaller inventories, but carry more things if you provided them more storage.
    Guards would get stronger and have better weapon types as you provided better furniture (I think Beds would be their required item, so they could regenerate between fights).

If there were a more advanced tenant generation algorithm it'd be much harder to cheese.
    If the total price-value of furniture in a tenant's room/home was taken into account for what they pay out (with limits or something so that the best strategy isn't GIANT BOX WITH 2000 CHEAP LIGHTS), that could help and wouldn't require as much effort as a lot of other possible changes.
    They could potentially also have the tenants want some amount of empty (floor) tiles? Maybe?

The current deed system is okay, even without different types. But it should take into account the amount/quality of furniture, at least. If It does, maybe I'm just silly, but all of my tenants seem to pay out about the same regardless of house style.

But this is just my two pence.

Edit: Side Note:
    I expected the colony system to be a pretty decent source of income. Farming seems a lot more efficient for income, except for the whole watering can system which is tedious right now (there's a projectile in vanilla for watering that fires three drops of water instead of one, I have no idea why that isn't used, but I may make a private watering uzi mod using this ammo if they don't give us better farming tools soon.)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  5. khalismur

khalismur Big Damn Hero

Agreed. Also, the NPCs interactions could be less intense, more natural. Who keeps moving, jumping, talking every few seconds??

6. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Sadly I can answer that last bit.><

Met many people that are like that. Not that it is a bad thing, just quite overwhelming at times. Even more so with now that every other person has a cell phone. lol

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For me the colonization system is just the beginning to have at least some kind of foundation to work from. It is not the complete system, but something to start with. I think what was meant by calling the update that was to imply the start of the actually path that you could choose to go down. So basically building a foundation, even if bare bones. More may be added to on later, but it is a step forward. I would rather have something rather than nothing at all to work with; since this is the path I am truly awaiting completion among the other 2 paths.

Serenity likes this.
  7. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

The jumping is probably a placeholder for other animations later on. I hope.

Serenity likes this.
  8. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

I prefer the protectorate system, the annexation system also has it's pluses and minuses.