1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Can we please stop calling it Colonization when it's really not?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by RamsiC, Aug 17, 2015.

1. TheFriendShip

TheFriendShip Intergalactic Tourist

In this case, it means the devs don't care to balance their system for general mainstream use. I know I whine a lot, but I'm not actually a special snowflake who needs 3 gold ore by my feet every 20 blocks or I won't play. I'm fine with resource distribution in other games of a variety of genres. This one is just hot and cold and it need a fix, not a work around. I just outright don't feel like playing something that wouldn't have something so basic down for a 1.0 release. I'll suck up bad systems during beta (or complain but still check the game out) but I don't want to have to install mods just to not be put off the base game.

2. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

I've never had an issue with ore in this game. Go to the core, mine left or right until you have what you need, then mine up. Your done in an hour.

Methinks your method needs improving.

3. I'm sorry, but what bugs are you talking about with the interface? I haven't had a similar experience so that seems like a really strange complaint.

There is a crap-ton of inspection content already, it's just not 100% complete. They can easily test (and have), the box shows up, the data populates and does so every time. So how do you see the system as being incomplete.

As far as the rest is concerned, what specifically do you find incomplete about them. I'm asking for specifics because just generally saying you're unhappy doesn't give anything to work with. Additionally, this is purely talking about things we know are planned, so try to include concrete examples that don't involve undocumented wants.

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

You are equating your dislike as being popular opinion. It is not.

yclatious likes this.
  5. FireFangs

FireFangs Cosmic Narwhal

Well, from what I gathered at this point, he is simply unhappy that the game is not exactly like he wishes. Sorry to break it but the game is not based only on what you want. I'll end it here and move on as it's not worth answering anymore.

6. TheFriendShip

Windows will reposition themselves randomly and it's all really... chunky... I don't think the devs have personally tested the interface out on smaller screens to know what kind of impact that has... which is why I think they'll have to iterate over it a few more times before it's done, let alone mature.

Here is how things level up: immature->complete->mature. Anything that's not complete is far from mature. I'm not talking about things that can be extended, because they're complete and added to. Mature usually means that it's robust and stood the test of time... unfinished features can't do that.

• Movement - floaty, needs to be tighter
    • Combat Balance - it's still being worked on right now, how can you think it's mature??
    • Crafting Progression - I find I blast through each layer of progression too quickly and then get stuck for a while, it feels unnatural
    • World Gen - I'm not sure if they've fixed the surface caves, but this is where the ore issues are
    • Dungeon and Micro-dungeon Gen - most that I come across are... boring... some are good, but most really need to kick it up a notch
    • Loot and Treasure Generation - Most of it feels like collecting garbage, they need to work on their algorithms
    • Cut Scenes (Even though some story-based ones aren't integrated yet) -not fully integrated = not mature
    • Creature / Weapon / RNG Element Generation - Creatures are still pretty samey and the whole combat is being worked on now... so not mature in the least
    • Questing - lol
    • Nano-skins and (arguably) Tech - I feel like these are really early experimental features that haven't really found a good place in the game to settle...
    What I'm not saying is that these features are only 1% complete or something. Most of these are 60%, maybe 85% done. Mature is 110% done. Mature is a solid feature that requires zero further work, maybe a little touch up to mesh with another feature, but not something currently undergoing massive development. The devs are still "trying stuff out" which is fine, maturing comes later.[DOUBLEPOST=1440105741][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I think you're projecting. Most people do actually want base games to be fun without mods.

khalismur likes this.
  7. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

I've got a question @TheFriendShip ....

You say the game is in beta (which it is) but then you are complaining about things not being done. Isn't that just a bad viewpoint?

What I'm seeing from the devs is them adding their different progression paths into the game now that the engine core is done. Many other components are getting the once over or even a second rework... but nothing is complete. So what are you really complaining about?

You can't balance a system without having all the parts in the system to start with. We still don't have all the parts, ergo the balance is going to be off.
    Wouldn't you agree that we are in the awkward phase of development where the progression paths are being thrown into the mix and the past "balance" is being completely reworked?

We can't decide balance issues until we have all the parts. So just wait. Enjoy the process.

8. lazarus78

I never said people did or didn't. However, the fact of the matter is, one that has been reiterated countless time: "You cant please everyone."

At the end of the day, CF is making the game how they see best. No one is saying you have to like everything they do, I sure as hell don't. And for those things I don't like, I can mod to fit my tastes.

And this is also not to say you can't voice your opinion either. You are just doing it in a very...not nice way. (Comment about my mother and all... not cool, even if I haven't talked to her in 6 months.)

9. TheFriendShip

You say you have questions, SivCorp, but aren't you just making a bunch of assertions and tagging on question marks? I wasn't complaining about things not being done, I was explaining that incomplete features aren't mature. I was complaining that a feature I want to see balanced correctly may never be balanced because they're tunneling in a work around. I'm complaining so hopefully somehow, someone will know that people aren't going to let that particular feature go under the radar and it's required to be balanced before release.

The game actually has all the parts required to balance ore distribution, unless their world generator is really badly designed and not customizable to the extent it'd need to be. The whole development has been one big awkward phase, so yeah, I'd agree. Part of the process is to give feedback, is it not?

10. yclatious

yclatious Guest

See, like many banned before you, you seem to share the same idea that in order to give feedback, you don't need to be polite.

In this forum and in these threads, the validity of your feedback and opinions does not matter, but the way they are presented does, and for a guy that is honestly new to these forums, you are acting like a bit of a ass.

The Devs are developing the game this way, cause they know they will get better results in this style of development.They are adults specialized in making games, programming and creating assets, with a good budget behind them, you can doubt their decisions, but more often than not, they know what they are doing.

Honorable mentions of community backlash over corporate decisions that worked well anyways are the moving of the Offices to London, and Kayle's AP ratio on her e going from 1 to 0.4.

Both controversial decisions that split the community, and both that impacted both the corporations and the games they were in a verry good way.

And modding is used as a asset here due to it being so damm easy to do.Anyone, literally anyone can mod, and make content.If you dislike the general direction of the game, make a overhaul to it.Only thing stopping ya is lazyness and a lack of atachment to the game.

11. TheFriendShip

I'm the not nice one? I give my opinions on an incomplete video game and you come in to condescend to me that it all must because I don't like sandbox. Would I be playing if I hated sandbox? No. You know you're just being nasty, you get off on it. And what do you want now? A tissue? No matter what I say you're there to prod me and say "your opinion is invalid" and I give you the tiniest bit of sass back and you go running to a mod.

CF aren't god, they've asked for feedback, and if you or I don't like a feature it's in everyone's best interest to say so rather than stifle discussion by telling everyone who is trying to give details on what their problem with the game happens to be that they need to suck it up and just accept what's there. It's a beta. The game isn't the feelings of all the devs, it's their work in progress. I can voice my opinion but clearly not without impunity.[DOUBLEPOST=1440110627][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Have you ever developed software? It doesn't sound like you have. Do you have any idea how few projects make it to a stable 1.0? Not as many as you'd think. The devs are developing the game this way because they haven't had a lot of experience and have never tackled such a large project before. That's not me being rude, that's the truth. Big budget games fail all the time by much more experienced game developers. If they knew what they were doing they would have been able to predict a reasonably accurate end date for the project and not spend 3 years in development hell. I've been in development hell, it's not nice.

Modding is always an asset but it shouldn't be used to cover flaws in the base game. I can't even say I think ore generation is unbalanced and needs to be fixed before release. No one has faith the devs are going to do this basic thing. I should use a mod for a standard feature that should be the bare minimum in a complete title of this genre? Are they seriously that unreliable in your opinion?

I was being polite, and then you and everyone else got on my case because I was being too open about the issues with the game. It's like you're scared that if the devs read one comment that doesn't praise them to high heaven they'll just burst into tears and quit the project. They're adults, and the game doesn't have feelings, and no one should be treating it like their baby. It's a game, it has problems, they can be fixed if they're not glossed over. No one should have to mod it to get a basic non-annoying run through the content.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  12. Kirumaru

Kirumaru Pangalactic Porcupine

Yes. I think most of us can agree to this.
    There's one person in this thread with a Warning on their post.

If you think you are being the nice one in this discussion, I implore you to take a moment and reevaluate.
    Your opinions and contributions to the discussion are worthwhile, so please don't get banned just because people disagree with you.

I mean, the semantic argument? The question was isn't criticizing Beta for having unfinished features an irrational point of view?
    You answered the question, so obviously you saw it.

13. lazarus78

You are attempting to invalidate his argument due to his (assumed) ignorance.

You do realize, developers don't project a release date till its almost complete... right? Most big games DO spend 3+ years in development. Those that don't are usually ones that had minor engine work and was mainly all content development. (IE COD games).

14. yclatious

yclatious Guest

I do agree that people should not be so protective of Devs, since they are indeed adults doing their job, and trust me, I used to be extremely harsh on the devs myself, but I was refering to the community rules of conduct.Ya gotta behave properly in here, otherwise you won't stay long.This is how many communities work, why are ya so surprised?

Indeed, I have not developed software, and yes, I have already been given this sermon by both sides of the coin, those who say the Devs are doing a good job, and those who are saying they are going to crash and burn.Been here for around a year I believe, and your speech didn't move me in the slightest.Ya ain't saying anything I haven't head already Im afraid.

Modding is here for wen you wanna change something, or add something unique (or even just copy/reference other games).Never defended using it as a free fix for everything, and just about nobody treats it as that.If I wanna unbalance my game, im free to do so, wnna change stuff back, go install Choke Le Fish, add 7000 new items, Fracking Universe, get where Im going?Adding content, not really fixing stuff you think is horrible, and the majority agrees with me and everyone else, Im afraid.

You were not being polite.At all.And you are still committing fallacies and being rude.Id advise you to stop thinking we are all ganging up on you.You are the guy standing on the restaurant table yelling the world is going to end, and screaming at the employees calmly asking you to step down.Please stop.

15. Hold up, friends.

Let's all stop for a moment.

If you've said what you've needed to say in relation to the discussion about colonization, you may;
    • continue, if you have another point you haven't elaborated on
    • leave the thread, having said what you thought needed to be said
    If you want to discuss ANYTHING else. You may;
    • post here and be warned for derailment
    • PM others you wish to talk with about the new subject
    • create a thread for the new subject
    Or I can simply lock the thread. Which I don't want to do just yet. So I'll leave it open a little longer -- and we'll see what you guys do to take it from here. Sounds fair, right?

Thank you. :coffee:

• Users was warned for this post: Derailment
    This is the last thing I'll post since I'm pretty sure Izzy will bop my head with the warning hammer if I continue. What you've posted here is full of semantics and generalizations. I won't debate with someone that can't explain their point of view in a clear and concise manner. Good day sir.

PS: Colonization is on the right track if you ask me, but no one did so... *poof*

16. TheFriendShip

• User was warned for this post: Derailment
    Pick a feature. I gave you a summary of each. I'm happy to go into detail, I thought all you needed was a brief on why these features don't qualify as mature (hint it's because most of then aren't even finished). Why would we be debating? It's more of discussion topic.

17. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

People this thread is about colonization.
    Lets keep it about colonization, if you want to discuss another topic make;
    • A new thread about it.
    • Private Conversation About it.

There really are tons of options you guys have at your disposal besides derailing a thread.
    Some of you people have been here long enough to know better.

Now please lets get back on topic.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  18. Kirumaru

Kirumaru Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't know if the TC is still coming back here or not. It's been a while.

I think it's fair to call it colonization, though.
    I agree with you that it's more like a slum lord simulator than building a true colony, but...

This game is a sandbox and much of it is built upon your imagination.
    Nothing stops you from building a "town hall" even if it doesn't have a true function.
    Nothing stops you from building an infrastructure.
    You can build sewers that connect to your toilets, even though your NPCs will never poo in them.
    You can build aqueducts (sorta) that move water around even though they never drink.

You can build the colony you want to build and now you can actually populate it. That's really what this update brings.
    Assuming the devs never get into that whole city-planning aspect, they never make it require resources to keep a colony going, the fact that the code now allows for buildings to generate NPCs will allow for mods that may or may not go into the depth of detail that you want from your colony system. I know people don't like "mods will solve everything!" answers to these types of suggestions, but sometimes that's what you're going to have to take for an answer.

Still its a work in progress and we have no idea the direction it will go until it starts showing up in Nightly.
    Right now I'm just glad that I can build a city that actually has people in it. =)
    I won't even charge them rent to live there! They'll keep depositing it and I'll just give them a friendly wave.
    Well, if I mod in waving animations anyway.

19. Kashmir

Kashmir Giant Laser Beams

If I was reading the original post correctly ( and I may not have) What difference does it make what you call it? My people would have called it a tribe, the Europeans a colony, the Africans a village, the Americans a settlement. It's all the same thing. Buffalo/Bison, Reindeer/Caribou, Bigfoot/Sasquatch. I guess I don't understand why all the fuss about a name. If the devs want to call it colonization, let them.