Camouflage Armor

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by Kodee, Jun 16, 2012.

?

Is this a good idea?

1. Heck yea!

57.7%
  2. Intresting.

42.3%
  3. Meh.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. THIS SUCKS.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kodee

Kodee Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ok, I'm assuming noone came up with this yet, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Basically, you have armor that blends in with the surroundings, with just a slight blur so you can see people if you are looking for them, but it's hard to notice. When you're moving it blurs even more, making it easier to notice you.

Of course, so it's not too cheap, I was thinking mabey it would cost energy to use the camo on the armor, by pressing some button, and if you attacked someone or get attacked, you can't use your camo for a period of time.
    Aslo, the armor would be pretty weak, since it's more for sneaking around, not killing stuff.:ninja:

I think this would be a nice addition to the new moving mechanices, with sneaking and stuff. Also, thanks to Aediion for giving me the inspiration, even though his post really didnt have anything to do with my idea.

2. Ravenous Space Rat

Ravenous Space Rat Cosmic Narwhal

That sounds cool!
    But I think sneaking would be something you could do anytime with or without armor.

3. Notunknown

Notunknown Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Maybe your character could just go transparent, or even just be represented as a faint outline.

And maybe if you before you move you need to disable the camo or the device gets "overloaded", making you unable to enable the camo for a length of time/fully depleting your energy meter.

4. Kodee

You can sneak without armor, I was just saying that this would be cool with sneaking and stuff.

Hmm.... the faint outline would work, but I don't think that being fully transparent would be fair, you should be able to see the person somewhat. Also, I think that you should be able to move somewhat, just mabey make it deplete the energy bar faster while you're moving and make it easier to see you while your moving.

5. Notunknown

I did not mean fully transparent, just partially.

And as for mobility while active, maybe that could be an upgrade. So the first version is no movement and medium energy use, the second is low energy use and high whilst moving with less transparency and the third is low energy use and medium whilst moving with even less transparency.

Kodee likes this.
  6. Kodee

The devs already said they're doing sneaking, mabey they'll put in sneak attacks too :ninja: X3

7. LastDay

LastDay Heliosphere

Starbound is mostly about fighting NPCs.
    That armor sounds like it'd only be useful for PvP.

Could be interesting there though. :)
    Um, that is if armor has fixed stats?
    I know that most weapons use random ones.

What I mean is if most armor is generated from many pieces then I dunno if they'd implement a fixed "camo suit".
    I guess they could go for it anyway. :p

8. Notunknown

Unless it reduces the sight range for certain enemies. So basic monsters such as animals cannot see you while stationary, and at 75% reduced range whilst moving, whilst things like robots only have a slight, lets say 50%, reduction.

Maybe it could be implemented as an "accessory" type item, if they exist.

9. LastDay

LastDay Heliosphere

Reducing aggro range could work, but then you could just shoot at things and never get hit back.
    Well, unless attacking would reveal you.

And yeah I was thinking the same about the tool items or whatever they are called.
    If there's no cloaking device or camouflage of any sort there I'm a bit surprised. :)

10. Magikarp

Magikarp Void-Bound Voyager

Makes me kinda think of Halo.
    I like Halo.
    I like the idea of an armor that blends with the surroundings, could be useful for stealth or maybe if you need to steal or capture something.

11. Kodee

Ya, mabey I made it a bit unclear, but attacking or being hit would basiacally overheat the camo, making it unable to be used for while.

12. Elbow

Elbow Void-Bound Voyager

This is a very cool idea.

I imagine it being like Halo..
    [​IMG]

Airclaw likes this.
  13. Twiganator

Twiganator The Count

Or like predator..
    [​IMG]

With or without the eyes

14. Hap818

Hap818 Pangalactic Porcupine

Yah that would be cool

I<3Terraria likes this.
  15. rabbiter

rabbiter Void-Bound Voyager

I like it. But I will say this assuming that they have a social in starbound, it should work in the social too. Otherwise you have no defense.

16. Run Juan Run

Run Juan Run Big Damn Hero

that would be really cool

17. St Fonz

St Fonz Existential Complex

Only thing, it would have to be a full body suit or complete camo makes no sense. At least in Halo you have a complete suit on so its kind of believable.

18. rabbiter

rabbiter Void-Bound Voyager

Definitely! It needs to cover your whole body and head to take effect.

19. civengine

civengine Big Damn Hero

Yeah!Anyway you could have eye flashes

20. Zaba35

Zaba35 Phantasmal Quasar

halo camouflage is pretty useless 100 percent of the time i see them lol. i think you should be completely transparent and when you move you look blurry and translucent.