1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

BUG: only 1 tech can be used at once. even if +2 are equipped

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by jambox5, Dec 6, 2013.

1. William Cirse

William Cirse Void-Bound Voyager

I don't know about the Butterfly tech, but Bubble Boost is exactly that, plus it lets you do those three things as much as you want.

2. DracosKasu

DracosKasu Poptop Tamer

I don't think you will be OP if they allow us to use all tech slot a once. That why we got an energie bar, right now I don't feel the energie bar useful since, I rarely be able to over-use it. Balancing it will be more how much each tech use energie not limit you to one per time.

Sonic Chaos 13 and agaruna like this.
  3. LordVarius

LordVarius Big Damn Hero

nope we need the current system only with all 5 techs active at same time, except vehicles, i mean cant use pulse jump, energy dash and bubble boost in vehicles.

4. Melles

Melles Orbital Explorer

I'd like to point out not the combo aspect, but the fact that in this current system, I feel certain techs will NEVER be used. I adore the Morph Ball. But as long as it disallows my Energy Dash, I will not use it. It's just sorely impractical. I agree certain things should not be allowed, but that should be the exception, not the rule.

PlayMp1, Sonic Chaos 13 and agaruna like this.
  5. Jerakal

Jerakal Aquatic Astronaut

Yep, gonna go ahead and say that this is grabage.

6. Daffodill

Daffodill Astral Cartographer

Let us use them all at once I say

7. Rhinosaur

Rhinosaur Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Energy costs make it not op, and I have friends who got a mod that lets you do just that, and it having played it it's like the funnest thing ever.
    Not only is it super fun, but it could make pvp potentially really interesting once the game is polished and it makes getting around the world much easier which really makes getting to places less tedious :)

8. Rhinosaur

Rhinosaur Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Seems like a great idea I'd really be into this

9. omega780

omega780 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

For people who don't know what butterfly tech does, you jump and hold spacebar and get pushed forward in the direction you are facing while leaving a trail of butterflies. Its kind of like the speed dash one except you can boost for how long you hold the button.

agaruna likes this.
  10. SuperMandrew

SuperMandrew Cosmic Narwhal

I think that's my mod! Cool :)

The bubble boost also does this!

agaruna likes this.
  11. omega780

omega780 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

But does bubble boost make you fabulous?

SuperMandrew likes this.
  12. RiotDragonX

RiotDragonX Void-Bound Voyager

Considering the fact that techs are handicapped by not only the inability to easily find them, but also the energy bar beneath your health, I would have to say that the whole "it would make you too powerful" statement is false. =/ Even if you could use all of them at once, you would barely be able to get more than two or three things done with them before your bar drains. This feels like a bug.

13. Jerakal

Jerakal Aquatic Astronaut

I think it's generally understood that techswapping either needs to be more intuitive, or just let us use all four at once.

14. agaruna

agaruna Void-Bound Voyager

I agree that this feels like bug more than a feature. You can have limited slots, or limited energy, but you can't limit both and act like it'd be OP otherwise. Have a problem with players being in a mech and using tech? Then make Mechs have a vehicle slot. Have a problem with being able to do a tiny double jump and a dash at the same time in low tiers? most people won't get Tier 10 gear in Tier 1, and by the time you get to max Tier you already have all that, so why is it OP to have multiple Tech on at once? Why make it cost more - you already have limited pool energy, I certainly can't dash ten times in a row with one gauge. Either make hotswaps, multiple tech use or add a Battery slot so that I can add pool energy in order to do so. this game isn't a strictly PvP setting, so nerfing players for the sake of "balancing" just turns it into a hard, extreme survival-based Terraria with some trace extra RPG elements IMO.

Sonic Chaos 13 likes this.
  15. Sonic Chaos 13

Sonic Chaos 13 Orbital Explorer

so far honestly this needs to be "fixed" as it definitely feels like a bug honestly. honestly i dont want a faster way to swap id much rather be able to use all four at once as for not being able to use other tech in a mech id say certain ones should be like maybe if you used morph ball while in a mech could say transform the mech into perhaps a vehicle mode where instead of walking it would drive around on wheels or in a morph ball as if anyone who has played the metroid franchise would know there was a speed ball and a jump feature to it so perhaps the energy dash would act like speedball and double jump would let you jump in it. what im getting at is by limiting it to only one at a time you remove any possibility of having tech work together in unique and interesting ways that would add a level of exploration and freedom to be unique that has been one of the main focusing points of the game

16. Kail

Kail Void-Bound Voyager

I agree that it feels clunky currently (I came here looking to see if it was a bug myself when I got a 2nd tech).

As others have said, given they cost energy that may be enough of a limiter. While I only have two techs so far, I get the impression it was supposed to feel similar to tools; you can switch to the right one at the time. I don't think this actually works though since there is no analogous situation to, say, dash + double-jump - and they feel more like armor / passive equips since they don't show up as something you need to use.

17. Armin

Armin Big Damn Hero

Bump bump

18. Ewan

Ewan Orbital Explorer

Well mostly you wont even use some of the tecks... i mean duble jump? pleas you can build a ramp with block or use Grapler to get buy... this "limit" only ruins the experience and prevents nothing, well mby PvP is another mather... but i dint try that yet

19. Virtualkiller

Virtualkiller Poptop Tamer

What about making vehicles have their own slot and potentially vehicles have vehicular augmentations. When you have a vehicle activated techs are disabled. Then with techs they can all be used at once. The energy limit could be changed for balance issues but currently pulse jumping uses 1/3 of my energy, so I can do it four time w/o recharging. Which seems fair to me. And if you find an item that gives you faster regen then you deserve the bonus. The world can't always be balanced, and sometimes its good to feel like a bada**.

20. Ellthan

Ellthan Big Damn Hero

Yup, because dashing and doubl ejumping is TOTALY gamebreaking to the point of making the game a piece of cake.
    Even with morphball, even with mech. Multiple ones are not gamebreaking in any sense.

Virtualkiller likes this.