1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

BUG: only 1 tech can be used at once. even if +2 are equipped

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by jambox5, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Necro-

Necro- Yeah, You!

imho all that's really needed is some kind of keybinding say f1-f4 to switch between them

2. Wyvern

Wyvern Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

That would mitigate much of the issue, yes.

But at that point, there's really nothing to stop me from chaining together, say, Pulse Jump and Rocket Jump like another poster mentioned. Unless they implement some artificial switching cooldown. But they might as well let us use multiple techs at once.

3. Tyrindor

Tyrindor Space Kumquat

Terraria had far more OP accessories, you could even merge them with other OP accessories, and use (I think 5 of them) at a time, making for 10 accessories total at one given time. The monsters were balanced around you using said accessories and the game was still challenging at times.

It needs to be changed. The current system is terrible and the game can be balanced around you having tech.

agaruna likes this.
  4. Psygnosis

Psygnosis Ketchup Robot

Me and many other Clan Mates + Starbound ITA Community Forum members agree with the Tech limit to 1 is kinda crap !

Like someone else already said, add a small Hud somewhere for the Tech Quick Change, instead to open everytime the character page. Or rebalance the Tech system, like, 1 tech is reserved for a Vehicle and you need to active it to spawn the Mech / Hoverbike / etc etc, the remaining 3 Techs are all active and no need to chose wich one to use !

In many situations a Tech can be useless or useful, and I don't think that the Double Jump and Dash combined togheter atm are OP...

My suggestion : 3 Techs always active and 1 Tech is reserved for the Vehicles ( click to activate it )

5. Infernisle

Infernisle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I would be okay with only having one active at once if there was a hotkey for switching outside of going into your inventory and clicking on the one you want. That is tedious.

6. SuperMandrew

SuperMandrew Cosmic Narwhal

7. Kashou

Kashou Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thank god for mods, even if they keep it unchanged they can't stop us from tweaking the system the way we want.

agaruna likes this.
  8. T.T

T.T Void-Bound Voyager

How do I use the mech, btw?

9. Melles

Melles Orbital Explorer

I also thought this was an error, too, and started my own thread about it, too. It feels wrong.

agaruna likes this.
  10. Tyrindor

Tyrindor Space Kumquat

Not an ideal solution, the game needs to be balanced around having lots of tech, simply allowing it with a mod would make the game too easy.

They will change it. There's basically a universal demand for it. Actually, it's so much in demand i'd be surprised if it's not in tomorrow's patch!

agaruna likes this.
  11. SuperMandrew

My personal opinion on multiple techs: I think they should be allowed, as long as the energy consumed is reasonable. You shouldn't be able to blink non-stop for however long you'd like, so after two air-dashes into a double jump, you should be drained. But note that since both guns and techs consume energy, techs are used sparingly with guns (usually in defense) whereas with melee they're for either offense or defens.

Perhaps instead we should simply have two techs always open as "mobility techs" - dashing, blinking, double jumping. One for transforming (eg. mechs), and one for... some other quality. Thus, all of them may be on at once without picking out combinations that are too overpowered.

Rhinosaur and Tyrindor like this.
  12. Tyrindor

Tyrindor Space Kumquat

I'd like to see mining techs, fighting techs, etc. Maybe techs that even unlock combat moves.

agaruna and SuperMandrew like this.
  13. Infernisle

Infernisle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

A good one would be allowing double jump and dash at the same time along with something that requires you to hit F, but each tech equipped simultaneously makes it drain more energy than it normally would.

14. SuperMandrew

agaruna likes this.
  15. aerionop

aerionop Big Damn Hero

This is basically what is needed for the Tech mechanic.
    An icon next to your portrait/health/power bars, and a hotkey for each slot (F5 onwards?).

agaruna and SuperMandrew like this.
  16. Drewdawg

Drewdawg Big Damn Hero

This, in T2 you get the gravity bubble tech. You can use it like Pulse Jump and Dash combined pretty easily

17. CaptainApathy

CaptainApathy Void-Bound Voyager

I would be happy if you could use any tech at any time without switching them but have the limting factor being you can only 'use' one at a time.
    I.e. Just used your pulse jump? Can't use another tech until you land.
    In a mech/morphball? Can't use anything else while its active.

They can easily make it so that none of the key combos conflict and just have it completely transparent to the player.

The one at a time mechanic is fine, requiring you to enter your inventory and switch abilities is redundant and complicated.

18. Matanui3

Matanui3 Phantasmal Quasar

Perhaps make the techs toggleable on and off in the inventory, and make usage take more energy the more you have on, or each use takes more energy than the one immediately preceding until you give it time to cool down or something?
    Those could both be good limiting factors if having too much at once is too much.
    And besides, having techs always on would make it impossible to jump/dash/jump/dash like has been shown in a few videos (this relies on you switching techs, so when you switch to Pulse Jump it thinks you haven't used it during the current jump yet)

19. Shiokuri

Shiokuri Ketchup Robot

Being able to fly forever is OP enough. (Electric gravity ball thing)

Yet you guys want to be able to fly forever, blink really fast all over the place, and DASH, all at the same time?

And also, once you get your hands on a tier 10 mech... Dang. Imagine, flying and dashing around as a mech. Essentially a super OP machine.

20. Kashou

Kashou Subatomic Cosmonaut

Look, we already have energy costs for techs. There is no reason to limit tech usage in any way except for energy drainage. The way dash works now I can dash like 12 times before landing if I'm at a slope, not to mention gravity bubble lets you fly forever. It's obviously not balanced. The only one that is balanced at all is pulse jump. If energy costs are brought up to reasonable levels there is no reason to disallow all four techs being used simultaniously because they shouldn't be as spammable in the first place.

agaruna likes this.