Modding Help Bow Damage Kinds and elemental damage

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Tamamo89, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Tamamo89

Tamamo89 Pangalactic Porcupine

So I have custom element damage.
    I want to have a bow count as bow damage but also element damage.
    How do I do this?

2. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

Not exactly too sure what you're getting at, but...

If you mean to make a new damage type, you can create a new from "/damage" inside your assets.
    This folder has all the damage types that are defined inside of weapon abilities, projectiles, etc.

(If this isn't what you mean, I need a little more of an explanation.)

3. Tamamo89

It's for the purpose of the bow droppools, as well as the effects given by the new damage type.
    The projectiles needs to inflict the appropriate status effect, as well as count as a bow kill. And from what I can see none of the bow damage files actually effect damage drop pools by themselves, which means it's handled elsewhere. The question is where?

4. G.Xyon

G.Xyon Space Kumquat

I theorize, and from what I have noticed, is that dropPools are detemined by damage types. This is an except from the largequadruped monster type:
    Damage done by "bow" type would trigger the hunting drop pool, and damage done by "brain" type would trigger its own drop pool. Default would just fall under any damage that's not either of them. Of course, this is all theory and we'd have to test this out, unless an expert on damage types and dropPools can chime in and say if this is true or not.

But if this were the case, then this would mean that if you want to make status effects to drop certain things, the damage type that they would have to do would also have to be a specifc-type if you want to trigger a drop pool; or alternatively, assign drop pools to the monsters depending on the damage type being used by the status effects.

EDIT: Just tested it, can confirm. The killing damage type determines what dropPool is being used. These dropPools can be found in each monster's respective monstertype files.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  5. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Oh I forgot about the brains. Yet another casualty of the development cycle.

I believe there is a Zombie race mod. I wonder if they know about this?

6. Tamamo89

Only problem is that there is poison bow. And also the Adaptable Crossbow. There is also an element type for every weapon. Weird or What?

7. G.Xyon

G.Xyon Space Kumquat

Indeed! I did some digging through, and the poison arrow simply has the bow damage kind with a status effect stuck onto it. I don't think it cares too much about drops... so I guess depending whether the arrow or the poison kills the enemy it'll drop different things.

As for the Adaptable Crossbow; that thing is mechanically amazing. Anyway, like what you mention, every other arrow aside from the standard wooden bolt has its own damage type. It's to my belief that these projectiles won't trigger the bow dropPool aside from the wooden bolt due to the nature of how the dropPool works.

If you're trying to have a projectile and the status effect both count as a "bow" damage (or just overall trigger a special dropPool), it's entire doable; but it might take some work as both the projectile and status effect have to have the same kind of damage type in order to trigger drop the same pools. This means that you'll also have to give the status effect the appropriate damage kind, which shouldn't be too difficult. Another alternative is to give both set (projectile and status effect) its own damage type, and patch in the appropriate dropsPools on the monsters to drop the appointed items.

8. CatofRiddles

CatofRiddles Subatomic Cosmonaut

So is the OP trying to drop the "hunting" property from her weapons"? or just add onto it?