1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Blocking with a broadsword - useless?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Doomjoon, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

I just hope we can shishkabob monsters.

2. Slippery Slime

Slippery Slime Big Damn Hero

Well, shields seem to work fine for blocking, maybe if they made the blocking mechanics more similar to that of a shield it would fair better?

3. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

they work too well, as previously stated.

4. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

The problem with broadsword blocking is you give up your ability to attack for defense. It can be useful, but I find it easier just to take a shield. You can block and attack at the same time with a shield.

5. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

except the shield can break unless you perfect block most of the time. Breath attacks especially will dissolve a shield's health if not perfect blocked

6. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

Spamming makes all blocks perfect.

7. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Not when under attack by multiple monsters. It's not a perfect solution no matter how you try to paint it out to be.

8. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

When you're discussing game balance (sword block versus shield block) you shouldent use such a clear oversigh/exploit as a argument. Its clear that its not supposed to work like that and its likely to be fixes as soon as the devs get around to it. We should instead consider how the shield operates without "spamming".

(At least in my humble opinion).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    Darklight likes this.
  9. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

Oh I don't think it's a perfect solution. I think it's a terrible solution and was just pointing it out. and no, it really does work with multiple monsters.
    Fair enough, I've mentioned it. It's known. I won't mention it again. I do agree that 2H weapons' blocks are pointless.

10. Kattanos

Kattanos Pangalactic Porcupine

Instead of spamming the button, you do realize the perfect block lasts until there is a 0.5 second pause after the most recent hit, right? For example, breath attacks hit several times (let's say 10) per second.. That is 1 hit per 0.1 seconds.. It will remain invulnerable to damage for the full duration and up to 0.5 seconds after before consuming shield health on the next attack.. If the next attack hits in less than 0.5 seconds, the invulnerability will continue until there is a 0.5 pause.. With that said, I generally hold LMB to Stab! Stab! Stab! while clicking and holding RMB to block as needed..

I would like to state that I don't access the in game files for exact numbers and variables, but what I mentioned above comes from personal experience.. The 0.5 second window is approximately how much time passes in between hits before the shield goes from invincible to vulnerable.. The longest damage chain I had invulnerable shields for that I can remember is about 1-3 seconds long.. I had multiple rapid-fire gunners spraying me down at the time..

11. WhiplashIvy

WhiplashIvy Void-Bound Voyager

It's important to note that the broadsword isn't JUST the blocking mechanism. It's also longer range, wider hitbox, has more burst and dps than a single shortsword+shield. The broadsword has more of a tactical fighting style- stay just out of their range, chunk them down, and block if they shoot or rush you. Shortsword/shield, on the other hand, let's you rush in and be more reckless and maneuverable. They're just... different fighting styles.

Darklight, Lintton and M_Sipher like this.
  12. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Basically what Metadept means that every weapon, instead of having a 'sword' type and a 'shield' type and a 'gun' type, every weapon will just be a generic 'weapon' type that will function based on its attached Lua script. Kinda like techs are right now. So weapons can be... whatever you want basically.

13. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

I use the blocking function maybe 3 times in a 2 hour session? Honestly I use it when I'm taken by surprise and use that little time to run and situate myself in a better position for a good strike.

It holds true, in my opinion, electric daggers are the way to go.