1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Blocking with a broadsword - useless?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Doomjoon, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Doomjoon

Doomjoon Intergalactic Tourist

I've been wondering for a while whether should I use a broadsword or dual wield, the biggest influence that draws me towards the broadsword is the fact that you can block with it. But it seems kind of useless. I might be using it wrong, I don't know.

The problem is, enemy attacks, you press the button, you block the enemy attack. However, by the time you recover from the block, and you swing again, the enemy has already struck you, putting you at a disadvantage, and if you didn't block but attack first, you would probably be the first to strike, thus giving you both a long-term and short-term advantage in combat.

The only time blocking with a broadsword seems useful is against ranged attacks, but I don't think that is enough to convince me to use it, especially with the targeted blink tech that allows me to close in on an enemy instantly.

2. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Blocking with a sword is always a perfect block meaning you have much more lenience with the timing since it lasts a couple of seconds if not hit and a couple more if hit by a continuous attack. Compared to shields that need somewhat more precise timing the broadsword block can make life much easier at the start of the game.

3. Doomjoon

Doomjoon Intergalactic Tourist

I understand that but the point is that after you block, by the time you recover from blocking, the enemy can strike again. Faster than you can block again. So, not only is it that you have no time to attack the enemy after you block, but you don't even have time to make another block.

4. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Fair enough. Usually when I block with a two hander I also back away from an enemy to put distance before I go in for an attack when it's safe. Also I don't know if you've kept track of the front page but there have have been gifs of more advanced attacks for weapons. Like a leap attack for a two hander sword. So they are working on addressing this issue.

5. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Why not both. Basically have the shield in the "R" slot and the two weapons in the first # slots.

Then you can switch as needed. Or even have the 1-handed weapon in the "L" slot and the 2-handed in the 1 slot. then to switch all you have to do is press 1. Well that method worked for me at least and is how I went about using both.

I use a shield for close combat and the sword for those pesky shooters. Sometimes even shield with shooters, but sword works rather well will them.

Is my thoughts on it.:)

6. zBound

zBound Starship Captain

Honestly blocking with a broadsword is like giving an enemy a free hit at you, I honestly would not recommend doing it because you take as much damage as you would take if you didn't block in the first place, and second it just prolongs the battle.

7. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Hmm?

While the broadsword block may not be that usefull against normal attacks, I still find broadswords blocks realy usefull against special attacks and certain boss attacks. (Special attack example: Monsters cant repeat spew attacks where they spew blood or similar often and the timeing works out great so that you often stop blocking at the same time it stops spewing. Against the erchius horror boss its way easier to block with a broadsword then a sheild (unless you use dual sheilds)).

I assume that the broadsword block will also be extremly usefull in the new trap environments (blocking lasers, projectiles or flames with greater ease then a sheild since you dont have to be as precise with the timeing).

To summarize, what you say is mostly true for normal type attacks, but i still find it very usefull against many of the special attacks. Also, buffing it in anyway would be hard without makeing a one-handed sword + sheild combo useless.

8. djDarkX

djDarkX Master Chief

The nice thing about the Broadsword block is that it's cooldown is not tied to the swing cooldown, so right after the block is done and the enemy is on their swing cooldown (when using a hammer or broadsword), they wasted their attack on a perfect block and you can hit them right away and kite them. Yes, it takes practice, but I love the Broadsword block. It really helps. Also, allows you to never take damage and kill the first boss quickly by blocking and then immediately using the Energy Dash to get past a beam coming towards you. No damage doing that and you can finish the boss so quickly that it never has a chance to spawn adds and you can get your FTL fixed quickly. Yeah, the cooldown suck, but if you practice using it and kiting, it will really come in handy!

9. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Broad sword is more for emergency blocking. Not really general purposes blocking. With broad sword you are more expected to avoid attacks. While one handed weapons with shield has the advantage of a faster recovery time.

Crossfang likes this.
  10. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Faster recovery time and damn near invincibility, swat. You can spam that shield like there was no tomorrow - I do it all the time and get away with a lot of stuff that I shouldn't. Combined with a one-hander with some projectiles like a shroom sword with spore clouds, you'll have too much trouble dying.

11. djDarkX

djDarkX Master Chief

The disadvantage of a shield in early game, however, is that mobs on new planets (unless you get a new shield right off the bat) can chew through your old one pretty quickly especially if you can't kill them quick enough (again relating to getting stronger weapons). I personally don't like crafting weapons since I find them to be less powerful than the stuff I find in chests most times, as well as slower, so yeah. Keep in mind, however, that Sword and Shield is my main and I mainly use a Broadsword as a secondary, but its perfect block has helped me out of some very dangerous situations and kept me from dying. x_x

12. Mackinz

Nah, @djDarkX. You can use an old shield just fine. Perfect blocks don't take durability off the shield, and doing the shield spam right will make sure you never have to worry about durability loss ever.

Kattanos likes this.
  13. djDarkX

djDarkX Master Chief

I usually just hold it since spamming it would just hurt my already terrible hands. lol

14. Mackinz

You're using it wrong. Using it correctly, you're very likely to not take damage and not damage your shield. It's an abuse of mechanics that needs fixing.

Kattanos likes this.
  15. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I actually find the broadsword's parry to be the best, to the point that it makes the other two handed weapons without block difficult to justify against bosses, who can take you down in a few hits. Its why i've suggested that parry be moved at least to some of the other two handers too, like spear.

Granted, you are not supposed to be just standing there when using the parry, it is up only for a limited time. But with no guard crushing, every hit that does connect with parry will be blocked.

It's a matter of preference, i'll take the cooldown, instead of worrying on shield health failing me.

djDarkX and Darklight like this.
  16. Mackinz

Except if you are spamming the shield button instead of just holding it down, that doesn't happen.

Jbeetle likes this.
  17. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

Blocking in this game is all around terrible, It's either useless with a 2H because of what you mentioned, or you equip a 1H and a shield and just spam left and right click. It literally never fails. Nothing can ever hit you.

18. Mackinz

metadept on IRC:

19. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

wasn't very informative, but a hopeful yay from me

20. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I'm not certain how this works, could this mean we might have a spear that acts like a slashing weapon?