Beta Testers.....

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Shadow, Feb 22, 2012.

?

Should There be one?

1. Hell YEA!

375 vote(s)
    87.4%
  2. GOD NO!

54 vote(s)
    12.6%
  1. Some_Guy

Some_Guy Space Spelunker

If there'd be beta testers, I'd love to be one. :p

2. John.

John. Star Wrangler

No, just no, dont pester the devs for a beta test...

3. Some_Guy

Some_Guy Space Spelunker

Im just saying. :p

4. John.

John. Star Wrangler

No not you, everyone in general, if there is a beta there will be a beta, there is no use at all in pestering the devs for a beta test/release, let them work, when/if there is a beta they will anounce it.

5. Some_Guy

Some_Guy Space Spelunker

Oki bru, chill.

6. Austen

Austen Subatomic Cosmonaut

I would LOOOOVE to beta test this game

7. SierraKhaar

SierraKhaar Orbital Explorer

and 90% here say they want to be a tester but only 10% of them mention that they want to make the game better ;P

8. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

It is something that needs to be done properly Like limit us to 2 types of planets or something. Just to get feedback on the Mechanics of the game.

9. Spam

Spam Void-Bound Voyager

Nobody of you wants to test. You just want to play.
    You don't seem to realise that professional testing isn't fun, it's a job.

10. Daitenshi

I disagree. Professional testing is a fun job! I love dissecting every inch of a game and recording how it works and how it could work better. But i do agree the majority of people on her just want to play early...

11. Hydrae

Hydrae Cosmic Narwhal

Some people actually enjoy the testing process, most people just want to play. I'm definitely one of those people since I lack patience but I rarely offer my services since I know I wouldn't be doing the community & devs any favors. :p

12. J-block

J-block Pay it Forward

You get paid for professional testing though.

I enjoy testing things out, especially at my own free will.
    You know. Cause beta testing isn't professional :1

13. Cush

Cush Void-Bound Voyager

There's a big difference in professional beta testing and a crowdsourced beta test. The former being that there are strict rules and guidelines that need to be followed, reports to be written up etc. Of course people who want to beta test mainly want to play it, but thats kind of the point; Get a bunch of fans to play your game then (Hopefully) report bugs back for you to fix.

With that being said, there's no point in shamelessly promoting yourself in this thread by saying how much you love testing and how good you are at finding/reporting bugs, its probably too early in development to even consider how a beta will be run and they aren't going to read through threads like this and think 'Hey, that guy said he has been in a beta for a game before, lets get him in!'. I'd wager that they are either just going to have an absolutely tiny group of testers like Terraria did, or simply start allowing beta access for pre-orders (Which is a win-win, they get money for the game, people to test it, and can put any bugs or issues down to it being in beta)

14. TheRev

TheRev Industrial Terraformer

You bring up a good point, most people here seem to realize that "Actual Beta Testing" requires a bit of work, but some don't realize sometimes beta is just to get the game out there, and give people a chance to play something so when the real game comes out they will get it. Unfortunately some designers figure that means as long as they stay in Beta that means they can't be blamed for the bugs and that gets pretty crazy (Cough Minecraft Cough) lol

First, shamelessly promoting yourself, and who is going to be picked and not picked.. I fully agree with ya. I doubt the forums will have anything to do with it unless there is some "Contest" and by that time, the small group (If there is one) would of already had a run at the game. Think of it this way, lets say they pick 10 people.. (Random number Yeaa!) they then have to count on those 10 people to follow their rules.. I am not talking about bug reporting.. I am talking about leaked games, and information that they wanted to keep secret. That is the #1 reason why either Everyone, or No one is prob going to be chosen for closed beta

Honestly I truly hope they do allow Beta access for pre-orders as that is the cleanest way of just getting people into the game, and playing. But I agree it is *way* too early. The problem is if the game isn't leaked by this time, it will be absolutely by that point. I mean look at Terraria.. If the game is cool from what I have seen (Mainly off the information on this very site) I will prob pre-order it so I kinda hope this will let me join in to beta heh.. (Too early to tell)

And finally about the "Beta Spoilers" people.. That makes me laugh, I imagine some buying the game, but not playing it because it would spoil it for them. heh... I wish ya the best luck in avoiding information... Though I will never agree with you.

15. Hark

Hark Void-Bound Voyager

Just to say, I don't think it's fun as you think. You're not writing down how it could work better at all, you document whether a mechanic or level or feature that's can be repeatedly changed and updated works with each build of the game.

Its tedious most of the time and a lot of it is writing down test cases and bug reports, administrative tasks. At least that's my experience of it, there are different kinds of testing.

Anyway just wanted to reply to that specifically. I'm sure they will have some kind of public beta at one point, making threads and posting your approval of it won't make it come faster or make you any more likely to get into it.

A more interesting question, just in my opinion, would be whether a public beta would kind of damage the enjoyment that gamers get from the exploration and discovery aspect of the game. The less people that get to play through the game before its release the better, increase the intrigue and wonder at finding every little secret on your own for the first time.

16. KKslida

KKslida Big Damn Hero

I am suprised this thread hasn't boomed yet >.>
    Anyways, to me, I (like many others) would like playing the game early, but remember that the prime reason is to look for bugs, to find any difficult situations in-game that might be tooo dificult for the player, and to give opinions on certain aspects (whether it would be movement, items, or graphical effects).
    I just feel that if there WOULD be people picked for a closed beta, they should be given a test of some-sorts to see whether they are qualified to do so ;D

rabbiter and John. like this.
  17. Close Beta, yes. Open, I don't think so.

18. Daitenshi

Well I understand, and that's what I enjoy.

19. Shesiressu

Shesiressu Guest

So, the question is answered ...

Still, I hope much players will be in a beta. Including myself.

20. John.

John. Star Wrangler

Indeed, but the devs would get about 1000 aps...