Beta Testers.....

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Shadow, Feb 22, 2012.

?

Should There be one?

1. Hell YEA!

375 vote(s)
    87.4%
  2. GOD NO!

54 vote(s)
    12.6%
  1. ShadowSoul

ShadowSoul Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like how you used the same first three letters in that sentence as Afterscore did, at the same time quoting him.

2. demanrisu

demanrisu The Original Agaran Menace NPC

We do not need a beta. It's as simple as that. Games like Minecraft and Terraria ultimately end up having a lot of users say, "Well, fuck, they didn't honour their original promises."
    Anyway, it is much more exciting when we get tiny tidbits of information - a beta, even an open one, is an awful idea.

A trailer will keep would-be players satisfied for weeks. Concept art will be posted regularly - seriously, guys, we're getting almost too much information now as it is, and we're not even scratching the surface of this game.

The Mojang Mentality™ has spoiled gamers. Chucklefish cannot follow in Mojang's path.

3. FelixFB

FelixFB Phantasmal Quasar

The only reason I said yes despite the huge dev team is because of publicity, PaperBatVG got lots of people into terraria before it came out and we already have a big youtube on the forums, pedguin.

4. bomblol

bomblol Void-Bound Voyager

I pretty much agree with this, although I don't think people should really be making solid statements either way on issues that are really up to the developers. That said, maybe betas should really be left to their original purpose... testing, rather than as a proto-demo so that people can get their hands on the game early. There are lots of games out there to satisfy yourself in the meantime.

5. demanrisu

And this game already has enough publicity. I'm doing my best to gain more by writing about it, but seriously - 4chan loves it, Reddit loves it. That's basically all you need to gain hype. Kotaku is bound to report on it soon, and it's going to be brought to Notch's attention at some point.

6. demanrisu

Yes, this is exactly my point.

7. FelixFB

FelixFB Phantasmal Quasar

Basicaly, proves my bias in being subscribed to pedguin :rolleyes:

8. Drewdawg

Drewdawg Big Damn Hero

I want them to release it to some famous youtubers like Terraria did with PBat and Yogscast. (Okay maybe not Yogscast cause they didn't do a very good job IMO)

9. *Calls Pedguin*

10. ShadowSoul

*Kidnaps Pedguin and acts like him on the other end*

11. Drewdawg

Drewdawg Big Damn Hero

911! We got a pedguin impersonation!

12. Delirine

Delirine Aquatic Astronaut

Hey what about us smaller LPers too? Don't we count :eek:

13. ShadowSoul

Hey, at least I am a penguin! The last one was a puffin in a tux.

demanrisu likes this.
  14. Drewdawg

Drewdawg Big Damn Hero

Ohhhhh shnappp!

15. demanrisu

</thread>

16. lunboks

lunboks Phantasmal Quasar

Well yeah, a beta has pretty much been confirmed, so asking if there will be one is pointless. Might as well use this opportunity for promoting yourself, eh?

Also: Totally unrelated fact, but I am of age and can legally sign an NDA.

17. Ragen

Ragen Big Damn Hero

Too true.

Also, sup =P.

18. doused

doused Scruffy Nerf-Herder

indie games usually have closed very personal betas.

19. Atlas

Atlas Subatomic Cosmonaut

Guys! I should totally be a beta tester! No, seriously, this is the last thing we need right now. Just a bunch of people asking to be in the beta. You see, sure,if they DO have an either closed or OPEN beta, there's no point in having a thread like this unless it was made by the devs.

bertie242 likes this.
  20. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

there's always a chance, though, I suppose, that a thread such as this could change their minds on the subject.
    Personally I'd love an early crack at this, but I'm willing to wait if the Devs decide to not have an open beta.