Beta Testers.....

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Shadow, Feb 22, 2012.

?

Should There be one?

1. Hell YEA!

375 vote(s)
    87.4%
  2. GOD NO!

54 vote(s)
    12.6%
  1. Bombzero

Bombzero Giant Laser Beams

patience, that is all.

2. Kodee

Kodee Subatomic Cosmonaut

Patience, pffff. I'll be patient to play the game, but I still want to know what it's gonna be like.

3. Bombzero

then why play?

Basically you want to know tons of stuff about a game before even playing it, when experiencing new things is the entire reason you are playing a game.

4. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

Knowing isn't the same as doing.

5. Lachee

Lachee Existential Complex

wow, this thread grew big :DD

ethier way, they shouldn't say if there is a beta, it would make me to impatient, as patients is advertted me :yoda:

6. SirValentineCatsСта́лкер

SirValentineCatsСта́лкер Subatomic Cosmonaut

I see that no elephant will be left unturned

7. iliekmudkips

iliekmudkips Big Damn Hero

I would love a beta myself, But I won't push for it for various reasons. Mainly because everyone else already is, So I dont believe I need to say much else.

8. TheRev

TheRev Industrial Terraformer

Why? Is buying a game that might have a few bugs in it that bad of a thing? I mean this is what we are talking. Not a game that isn't done.. But one that they are fixing anything that pops up to a point where they happy with it and move to a released version (kinda like how minecraft was supposed to be heh). If it fit those two things you would still be bothered by an open beta? I really don't understand what the "Big Problum" is I mean really this is all we are talking about.

I think they have put down any ideas of the closed beta when they said if there will be a beta.. It will be an open beta. I maybe wrong, it has happened once or twice heh, but I think closed beta is off the table. They are actually choosing if they should have a Beta or not.. Not if it will be closed or open. I get you might be talking "Conceptually" and that is cool, but I thought I would just be clear.

True. This is how it is supposed to be, back when people hired closed beta people... Now a days it really doesn't work like this (which is too bad), most (I am not saying all) people go on for "Early Access" or to try to get information on the game they can distribute before all others. I am just saying this is how it usually works, there are NDA (Like you said) but really that might slow it down but won't stop it.

I would like to play it in an Open Beta state, because I feel that the game is done enough where I can play the game, and have fun doing it. Sure there might be a few bugs, and that happens with all games. But I am sure they will be fixing/patching as they go, and while they do that I can continue to play a fun game either by myself or with friends. Its not like the content isn't there.. If it was a "Demo" like others said I may not be as interested, but it is the beta, and that beta has all the things the game should have. That is why I want the Beta, because I don't care bout a few bugs, they don't ruin the game, and I am sure the Dev's would of put enough time into it to make sure there is none (Or very little) that would be a major problem.

As to why I like information I can look up.. I am not a big gamer, and there are times when I get stuck, or want to look up how do I make something. If that information is not out there I am pretty much stuck, but if it is I can look it up. I have the ability to only look up what I want to know, or not look up something if I don't want to know it. I don't worry about *Spoilers* because I am usually playing the game so much I rarely run into them. Also knowing what is coming I know what to expect, I am not disappointed to figure out how a "System" works while I haven't played yet, because for me implementing that system in different ways is the interesting part. I watched lots of videos on "Red Power" for example before I did anything with it, but the point for me was to know how it works, and what I can do with it so I can build what I wanted to build when I got in game.. (Red Power is just an example, but the point carries true for other game systems as well)

This is just a couple of examples of why I like the information to be out there I am hoping one of those two explanations answered your question. I know it is kinda examples of why I want information before I play (Or do something with the said items the information is on) specifically, but I am hoping it would also cover the "Knowing about the game before the Dev's consider it done"..

Blame Pentarctagon and thier darn links! :p (Kidding.) lol

And no dead horse.. unkicked lol :p

Edit: And thanks to whoever merge those posts! =)

9. SirValentineCatsСта́лкер

first post on the FAQ page =)

10. Valkoor Moonblood

Valkoor Moonblood Existential Complex

My apologies, I was going off of quite old information. I hadn't seen that new fact, sorry if I offended anyone.

11. Bombzero

ok so its just impatience causing people to want an unfinished game instead of a finished one.

I see, just none of you can wait a few more weeks for a better game, thanks for clarifying, wonderful to know how incapable of waiting everyone is here.
    whatever, I made my point and it was bluntly ignored because nobody here can wait 3 seconds for something, let alone a few weeks.

12. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

And yet I've been waiting here since February... [​IMG]

edit - Also, what's the point of posting here if all you're going to do is tell everyone to be patient and then accuse everyone who disagrees with you of being "incapable of waiting"?

Atlas and Kodee like this.
  13. TheRev

"We're not sure if we're going to run a beta yet, if we do we'll make it a public one." -Tiy" 19 days ago, and the reason all this conversation got started.. =) That the release date was still going to be August was in there forever before they changed the FAQ. No offense to the FAQ people but I think it is a lot more reliable to go with something just said by Tiy then it.

Lol man.. I have just heard unfinished.. unfinished.. unfinished =) I am just trying to express it is not unfinished. I don't know where you get that idea from, but darn it you have stuck to that point pretty well I will give ya that. But I honestly think your wrong on this one, I also think that I have said that over and over myself, so saying it again isn't prob going to make any difference either, and that's cool we all sometimes have something we believe is true and won't change our opinion on it (case in point me thinking it isn't unfinished)

I am prob going to just leave it at that as we are literally going is too... is not (repeat heh), and I doubt anything one of us say is going to convince the other on this one.. So I guess the term is agree to disagree lol.

14. Bombzero

I honestly have no damn clue what you are trying to say, are you implying the game is finished now? are you implying a beta is the finished game? you make absolutely no sense.

15. TheRev

A few quotes from my posts..
    True I have talked about other stuff as well, but I think the main thing I have to dispute is this idea that the game is not done. I mean to reach a point where they are in open beta.. Shows that they are done with the content of the game they are just looking for bugs. I saw a few other posts that said the same thing as well (Thought for time I didn't quote them)

16. Bombzero

Oh, well then in that case it is a release.
    you don't even need to tag it a "beta" at that point, its a finished game, just release as normal.

17. SirValentineCatsСта́лкер

ohhh I see... I missed that part

Edit:
    also I am confused and not sure what you guys are arguing over exactly. It must be lost in the 19 pages...

18. TheRev

I think this summarizes an answer to that best..
    There are at least 5-6 different conversations going on at one time. I have been talking with Bomb over multiple different things as well.. That is a lot of stuff so no worries man... I will just stick with my original post of how happy I am they decided to do an open beta (if there is one), and leave it at that or we might be talking in circles till the actual game comes out lol :p (kidding)

19. SirValentineCatsСта́лкер

me gusta