1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important BETA RELEASE DISCUSSION - DECEMBER 4TH (*ALL* beta discussion goes here. Other threads deleted)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Jul 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirEpica

SirEpica Master Chief

Thanks Tiy, i was having a hard time sleeping until i read this thread. I just cant wait for it <3:giggle:

2. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

You stand correct in what you say. But I would like to point out something very important.

Imagine if both the beta release and the full release are pushed to 2014, that would make many "customers/pre-orders" aggravated. It's not a good thing at all if this happens. At worst you could imagine 5.000 or more "customers/pre-orders" wanting a refund. I see this as a big concern, I want Chucklefish to be successful.

I'm okay with the full release being pushed to 2014, because that's what I expect, I can see that happening because Starbound has that much potential. By that I mean it takes a short amount of time to create a sketch, but it takes a much longer amount of time to create a masterpiece.

Although the beta release just by itself is also very important, if the beta release is delayed until 2014 that's when I see the big problem occurring, because that would aggravate me too, the reason for that is because I know that the beta can become ready for a release in 2013, and I am confident about that.

Now to get to the real response, I believe that if youtubers get the beta before everyone else, then many will want a refund because they would feel like they are treated unfairly. It would probably not be as much as 1.000 refunds, but I believe it could be a big number. And I can understand this type of frustration because I can relate to it, it would not bother me as much at this point though, because I understand that previews are necessary.

Alright, thanks for reading, just wanted to point that out. I'm not angry, just sharing the concern. :coffee:

Inco likes this.
  3. warcore

warcore Existential Complex

or it be that everyone gets really exited because that would be a sine that open beta is almost ready
    also I think you must know by now that a press copy is basicly a broken version with a lot of "don't do this don't do that " in it
    press beta are vary much made in a way to show the game they don't really get to play a pure copy of starbound they play a vary much altered version
    edit: there wouldn't be 1k refunds if it was pushed back to 2014 maybe a few hundred but not a thousand

SephirothWS likes this.
  4. bobalobabingbong

bobalobabingbong Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How "do many people" know what state the game is in? Nobody has played it. Sure, we have that road map, but that doesn't tell us about all the game breaking bugs Tiy referred to.

I think a lot of people don't understand what "beta' is. I don't blame the people for this, but the game companies that use beta for marketing.

Gysgamer likes this.
  5. Tyrindor

Tyrindor Space Kumquat

It clearly says when you preorder "Estimated Release: 2013". So if it releases in 2014, and people are mad, then that's their own fault for assuming that estimated means guaranteed. You will never please these type of people, and they will always find something to complain about. Chance are 99% of the people complaining about beta release date will be the same people complaining about the game after release. Some people just like to complain.

Hardly anyone would want refunds, they may say they do but most would just be begging for attention. Even if refunds were given to unhappy people about not making an estimated release date, they'd just buy the game again after it released. If they feel they need the extra time to make the game successful it's worth pissing off a couple of people who can't grasp the concept of an estimated release date instead of pissing off everyone by releasing a buggy unfinished game.

Bottom line is: They know about their product more than any one of us. Give them the proper amount of time they need.

Exactly, how are people saying "The game is ready, release it!" as if they can see the entire game from a few videos or pohotos. These are the type of fans that cause games to fail, they pressure devs into releasing something early because they really want to play it, and then moan when it doesn't meet their expectations because it wasn't finished.

The game is likely in a state where there is nothing to really do other than build and run around in a nearly empty/buggy universe. NPCs don't do anything, scaling and balancing hasn't even begun, there's no leveling system, etc. Half of the major systems need other systems in the game before they even work correctly, etc. It's just not ready for normal playtesting, many things would not work and there wouldn't be much to do. If they released beta now, it could cause the game to fail because anyone who is not a diehard fan of starbound would go "wow this game is terrible!" totally not caring if it's beta or not.

They show us stuff that is extremely limited, and only what they feel is currently ready for beta (for the most part). That's why some of you think "it's ready". The stuff they don't show us is the stuff that is causing the beta not to be ready, which is a lot of stuff.

AzViz, Luna, LastSuicide and 2 others like this.
  6. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

I agree with you, but I can still see many aggravated customers if that happened. I would not be one of them, but you know, shit happens. Just sharing my concern. :coffee:

Edit:

I mostly mean the beta of course, the full release could still be pushed to 2014 in my opinion without much trouble.

DarkScript likes this.
  7. MRGOOGLES

MRGOOGLES Phantasmal Quasar

Good solution for the thread. I would love a smooth game and have been watching bartwe quite a lot. I hope to get my grubby hands on it in the coming months and I know you guys are doing your best to make it a really intricate game. Anyways (just in my opinion) I wouldn't mind more spoiler stuff... that is like more game play/guns and even a boss fight or 2 to display more of the combat and what not. I myself don't feel it would be a huge deal to show a few bits and snippets of later game stuff then just building a little and shooting small animals but I suppose ask the community first or something if it would be done with a pole or something to that nature.:up::chucklefish::up: I'm sure a lot of people will say they would mind but they still would watch it :mwahaha:

8. colorbeam

colorbeam Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm so in love with this post I can't handle it.

9. Kitsunami

Kitsunami Void-Bound Voyager

I hope to someday come in and find an email in the future with the words Starbound in it from Chucklefish on my Press inbox for the site i work for...

Generally speaking ,the gaming press get the gears going. Yes this is a dedicated community and yes you would spread the word but...

You are all here, already, interested already. What Starbound now needs is for people to talk about it, provide lets plays, previews and so forth.

What gets more money and more orders? Letting youtubers, writers and podcasters at the game to get them to talk about it. Even if its to say 'not as interesting to myself but some of you might want a look'

That results in potential orders.

Case in point: Even a site with 10k hits a month writing an article on Starbound on it might get one or two sales...and it costs nothing to give the press access. All profitable marketing, all entirely free.

There is of course always the risk of leaks, but I can speak from experience when I say that leaks are taken VERY seriously, and I am sure that their are lists that go around between contacts in the PR departments which effectively go 'Do not give X company/website/youtuber a copy of any future releases'

Not sure about the legality, but I know that as PR manager for the site i work at, I have to sign an agreement every time I receive a copy or access to any preview builds that effectively puts my job on the line and holds me responsible for any leak that may occur.

Regardless, I pre-ordered ages ago and I am really looking forwards to biting into Starbound when its ready.

10. I don't think combat is completely done yet, so they wouldn't wanna show off an unfinished system.
    (or maybe it is and they don't want to spoil things - which makes sense)

11. Lobo

Lobo Spaceman Spiff

I wouldn't mind having a slave, but i can't :up:

12. Change568

Change568 Space Penguin Leader

This is how i see it. Here is a group of people, making a game that they believe is something great. We are not the ones making the game. we are merely waiting on a product to come out. No matter how long it takes as long as there is a product that is given to us for the money spent based on What is shown to us then job well done. we have no say on anything and the fact that the Dev are even listening to us. You sirs and ladys o7.
    I hope this well help clear up any whiners.
    Read June 2nd progress it gives many hints on how close they are to giving us a product(beta/finished)
    1st " Lots of bits and pieces are coming together and our goal is to get the game fully playable without any admin commands" This tells us that the game as it is, is not playable without using commands.
    2nd" That means every important item needs to be craftable, getting the costs right and the leveling right for everything that has a level. Making sure ore distributions are correct." This tells us the main focus on there ""to do list""
    3rd"It’s going to take us a while but it’s a major step towards the completion of the game." the way i see it is, Steps toward playable beta.
    4th And last "We’re also working on the quest system which is going to help give the player direction (if he or she wants one) and alternative ways to earn money and items" This shows us that they want us to feel like this is not just another sandbox but a game worth playing and a game worth presenting to the betas.
    IMO: If you want the game to comeout faster. how about you show some support and stop winning about when its gonna be released. Stop basing you hopes on what you assume they are doing and put it on what they have shown you. let the rest be a surprise!
    Ps: This is to the Dev team. I have played every mmo out. i have played everything to triple a titles to unheard of indies. and ive never seen a game of this type show so much promise so much potential. Please keep up the good work.
    TO close this up..............to all those trolls out there...........GOOD DAY SIR, GOOD DAY.

13. Rhayn

Rhayn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wow you are always so negative in your posts. You said in one post that you hadnt preordered and wont be doing so, and you are on here most days being really negative about everything... I do wonder why?

14. AzViz

AzViz Subatomic Cosmonaut

I hate to break it to you, but the Roadmap has been that way for a long time now. It doesn't show anything final at all and thus you can't base your estimation out from it.
    There have also been people before you saying that they were sure the beta would be out in 4/5 weeks.
    All I know that Beta is getting closer, but don't get your hopes too high up.

15. Spike

Spike Supernova

I just want to add that:

Show and MRGOOGLES like this.
  16. KevinFragger2427

KevinFragger2427 Pangalactic Porcupine

Guys, no one's gonna want a refund. If they've spent so much time following the game, they're not gonna back off so easily, and won't ever refund just to spite Tiy, because they all know Tiy's a great guy. If they're "casual followers," they're not gonna because they haven't seen the final product and still have hopes for the game. And if they just bought the game because why not, they're not gonna care enough to ask for a refund.

EDIT: Now people have another reason not to refund: they'd be taking food from off of the dev's very tables! Thanks Spike.

17. Cultist-Chan

Cultist-Chan Space Hobo

Considering the amount of time they've spent on the game I would guess the beta will be out early august. What throws me for a loop is they are doing the intros for the races already... which is what I consider polish, instead of mechanics. If I was to guess they've already done 80-90 percent of the mechanics of the game, and just need to clear up clutter and put that extra polish on before they release the beta.

One thing I HOPE they don't do is release the game BECAUSE they said 2013. Let it be done when its done.

18. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

Let me just point out that more than one person has already asked for a refund. I don't want to see Chucklefish suffering from large amounts of refunds. I also don't want to look like I am complaining, because that is not the point of sharing the concerns, it's just so you guys can be aware of it and hopefully think about it before asking for a refund.

Of course, a couple of refunds is not that bad, but large amounts could be.

19. KevinFragger2427

KevinFragger2427 Pangalactic Porcupine

Okay, apologies for my hyperbole. Fine, one person did publicly request for a refund. But I'm sure you know, as well as many others, that he did it to make a statement, like the Muslim women setting themselves on fire to protest. But regular people, like you or me who actually bought the game, don't do that.

Not everyone on this forum actually bought the game. In fact, after seeing many giveaways, I'm convinced that the majority did not. And there are tens of thousands of people who bought the game and haven't taken part in the community. Sure, they might have viewed the posts and seen some of the more aggressive members. But, like me, they won't just cancel a game because of a bunch of dicks in the forums.

By the way, I've been one of the many who heard about Starbound through sites like rockpapershotgun, and, also got to view the forum for a while. I did see a lot of raging. I did see a lot of flaming and bad attitude. Did that make me question my choice of preordering Starbound? Nope. I didn't even consider it.

Don't worry about any sudden loss of money. That's just not happening.

20. As for Youtubers access, as pointed they will not have any version of the game stable (without gamebreaking bugs), and they are limited to play and show what DEVs point them "this is not finished look at that". That's why they have access first, because gamebreaking bugs with them wont be really a problem, but the community to have one version with breaking bugs it is rage and flame wars waiting to happen.

About the 2014 it is complicated, if the release is pushed there, DEVs must be aware: There will be a lot of rage, requests for refunds, flame wars and complaints.
    It is impossible to avoid that after all the 2013 stuff ON. The Beta in 2013 as promised will keep the community stable enough and playing but some people will stop and ask "so the 2013 release got the same fate than the 2012 one eh?" :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.