1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important BETA RELEASE DISCUSSION - DECEMBER 4TH (*ALL* beta discussion goes here. Other threads deleted)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Jul 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't see how this is toxic. People are merely expressing their opinions (whether logical or not), and the developers are calmly responding.
    I think this kind of discussion is, in fact, extremely productive, because it makes the community feel better when they know that the devs are listening and that they care.

riseoflegends and Saal like this.
  2. zanthal

zanthal Existential Complex

Does Scissorsgoat beat Papergoat?

Which begs the question ... how much do you have to pay a man per year to get him to sacrifice his free will?

3. Corpj123

Corpj123 Starship Captain

This thread, no. This thread is good, it's fine. But the forum is, with all the rage, and the beta whiners, and the impatience and the tension and blahblahblah...
    I'm just saying that if it keeps heading in this direction, eventually, without a fix, the forums will become a cesspool.

4. SephirothWS

SephirothWS Phantasmal Quasar

I hate to go off-topic, but I have to agree with everything this guy has stated. This really is one of the nicer forums I have been on, and one of them actually capable of holding debates in a civilized manner that does not resort to throwing flame wars all over the place. Yeah, there are indeed times where it might get out of hand, but let me tell you, I have seen worse...

5. Show

Show Phantasmal Quasar

Agreed with too many posts to quote them all...these forums are extremely nice, and I'm glad the devs are as involved with them as they are. : )

6. PaperGoat

PaperGoat Industrial Terraformer

Not when I'm hanging out with RockGoat.

I don't know? how much does machinima pay?:sarcasm:

WoxandWarf and Inco like this.
  7. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

Thanksgiving atmosphere. We're all family here. The smell of dinnerbound baking in the kitchen driving us nuts.
    Now shut up, sit down, and get ready to eat in afew months. ;p

On topic, I'm surprised no one with real questions about it hasn't spoken up... yet. Where'd everybody go?

Gab, YatsandYets and PaperGoat like this.
  8. Spike

Spike Supernova

The "concerns" about starbound has mostly been answered, and the rest of the people with questions are probably not online due to timezone problems. I'm sure this thread will blow up in the morning.

WoxandWarf, linkthegamer and Xander like this.
  9. Kaeso

Kaeso Industrial Terraformer

What about LizardGoat and/or SpockGoat? :D

10. Karth

Karth Pangalactic Porcupine

Thanks Tiy, hopefully that will quiet things down around here.

I for one, do not mind waiting- I've got about ~80 game titles either sitting somewhere in the steam cloud, on a shelf and on some floppies I can play while I wait on Starbound. Take your time and don't burn yourselves out on it.

(I've even whipped out the old PSP to play Disgaea 2. Wow.)

11. PaperGoat

PaperGoat Industrial Terraformer

I don't know even how to respond to that and we are getting off-topic.

12. daridan

daridan Aquatic Astronaut

I think that they should take as long as they want to get the game perfect. The majority of us will play the beta, and enjoy it. But them having a later release date only means more content that they are putting into the game, more improvements. I would not be opposed to a later release date in such a case. I just want mah beta some time this year haha. But seriously people, dont complain about them trying to get things perfect. This is WHY we like chucklefish more then the devs of terraria. They are putting a lot of work to make this game awesome, and more time to work only means more awesome. :D Go team Chucklefish!

13. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

I guess to post something on topic I am glad they cleared up that thing about purchasing the game once beta is out. I always thought the old implied "The preorder will continue until beta (then is speculated to be closed till release)" always seemed very odd. Nice to know if someone sees me playing the beta and likes it I can point them to the website to buy the game rather than saying "oh, umm... well you will have to meet at the cafe if you want to play the beta or you have to wait till <release date here>."

14. Alec5h

Alec5h Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Im just glad to hear that after the beta is released, you can still get into it.

15. Necrius

Necrius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like this "CURRENTLY 2013". It makes possible to push it even farther.

16. Mikerlantz

Mikerlantz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well MY personal dilemma is this. While I do want Chucklefish and Tiy and the gang to get Starbound as feature complete as they can before releasing the beta, (and I of course understand them not wanting to release the game before its ready) from everything I've seen so far in the updates, I'd have hoped to have maybe an alpha - something very very dumbed down, that doesn't save files or anything or space travel, just something I can play with a little bit by now. I doubt Tiy would ever be up for this cause that's just not how he rolls, but I can dream.
    They never promised an alpha, and I don't think anyone ever really expected one, but this is one of the most anticipated games ever not only for me, but to hundreds of people, and I feel like the they should, by now, at least get more specific with the release date. Updates and Roadmaps are cool, but by now, half way through 2013, I'd hope they could at least say which of the next 5 months its coming out in, or change it to 2014 if necessary. Its like someone saying "Give me 15 bucks, and Tomorrow, i'm going to bake you LITERALLY the best cake you've ever eaten in your life, sometime between 9am and 6pm" and its already pushing 3:00 and all they've done is tweet pictures of the cake baking every 5 minutes. and I'm like "Dude, I'm craving cake so hard" and they reply "No no, its gotta be juuuuuust perfect". While I appreciate the pics, i'd like them to let me know how much time is left on the timer, you know?
    I get the vibe Tiy wants the starbound beta to be more like a "The game is all finished, but we're keeping it in beta in case there's any bugs" sort of affair (<pure speculation), but I think a lot of us expect it to be like Minecraft's beta, where a good portion of the game wasn't even implemented, and beta lasted for months and months. But I can dig what Tiy's doing, and I just have to look deep and find some more patience in me somewhere and trust that Chucklefish won't deny us that ultimate Starbound bliss for too much longer.
    So that's what I'm going through right now. Anyone else feeling the same or am I alone out there?:whoop:

greenmachine likes this.
  17. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

Beta will not be quite the complete game as Tiy (and others i think) have stated that things like the story and novakids will not be added till release but they do seem to want it to be very near complete. Minecraft's whole follow the game from alpha to beta to release and beyond thing definitely has changed how people see a beta. Minecraft was kinda all about watching it evolve into what it is now. Starbound seems to be taking a more "the beta is a sneak peak at what to expect and will help us fix bugs" approach.

I would be nice to get an estimate as to when the delicious starbound cake will be done but it seems that staff feels the current very broad statement is the best, as the said in today's (july 5th) update the beds took WAY longer than they thought so to use your cake example they don't want to say, "oh it will be done in 5 minutes" only to find out the mix is too thick and needs to be stirred more while you pop in to say "hey, it's been 25, what's taking so long". I think they feel they can get the game done this year but don't want to make any release speculations they can't keep as to month or day.

And lastly yeah an alpha or even tech demo (single planet, test character, some test items) would be neat but, yeah, just a dream.

18. szymekc

szymekc Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Spike has said in his now closed thread, that the game may be incomplete if released in 2013. What I wanted to say, is that I don't mind the lack of some features on release as long as they're released in patches after the release.

19. Menasor

Menasor Phantasmal Quasar

Thank you Tiy, for allocating this to one thread. Stuff like this is why you and the devs are amazing.

20. Add preservatives

-gigglesnort-

Oh, there's the exit. I'll head thataway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.