1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Being a tester seems out of reach..

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Demon Boy, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Demon Boy

Demon Boy Void-Bound Voyager

Yes I know there isn't even conformation of an early beta but I can't help but feel there is no way a user like me could ever get access. "Active community members" to me, would include the forum admins/moderators at this time and anyone who can make a good video might have a chance of testing. How would someone stand out from the crowd? Even if I was on this forum every day from now until a beta was released I highly doubt there would be a way to stand out as an active user which saddens me there's just too many people that want beta access I guess :p

mark baldwin likes this.
  2. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

Hi there, I'm on the forums nearly every day. I try to be as active in this community as I can without sacrificing too much coding time. Trust me when I say that if you're active and awesome I'll notice.

Secondly, the beta being semi-public or closed or private or whatever is not even decided at this time. If we make a beta we're going to want to control it a bit (we apologize) in ways that the final game will not require, which will take some work that will just wind up being thrown away after the beta is done.

If you're participating in this community solely for the beta, you're probably here for the wrong reason. IF we have a beta, and IF you get tapped for it, then awesome, great, sweet. IF we have a beta, and IF you don't get tapped for it, you should feel happy for the lucky few. IF we don't have a beta we're probably going to disappoint lots of people, but on the flip side, if we decide to forgo the beta it just means that we ran some numbers and we'd get it out faster without the beta.

3. Demon Boy

Yeah I can defiantly see how a beta can also be just a hassle and yeah it makes sense for it to be a closed beta really seen as it's better to release it as a full game as quickly as possible. Even if i'm not lucky enough to be apart of a closed beta (if there is one) I still think it's a good idea to have one just to make sure the game is as bug free as possible and I think you need a good idea of how the servers will run (max player count per server ect)

4. M C

M C Parsec Taste Tester

just be awesome as omnipotententity said and you'll get noticed (hopes yrimir doesnt get it but also that he does get it as he's awesome but making it all seem to easy:yeahhhh: ). :notworthy:

5. Demon Boy

I'm always awesome

xboy777 likes this.
  6. Camz

Camz Existential Complex

I think if the beta was closed entirely and just one big surprise for everyone when released,it would make the game ever more special!

7. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

I think a lot of people are underestimating what "beta testing" actually means. Not trying to call anyone out, I'm just saying.

starman, Ryfyle, Mikey and 5 others like this.
  8. Sol Pruina

Sol Pruina Over 9000!!!

^ Was about to post this.

xboy777 likes this.
  9. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

I'm a ninja [​IMG]

10. Vivid

Vivid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Atleast you're trying. Don't try to hard tho. I wouldnt be a good beta tester anyway. plus i have no interest in being one. i'll wait til i can play it without feeling so important:rolleyes:

M C likes this.
  11. saison

saison Phantasmal Quasar

IMO, there shouldn't really be a beta until it's almost done. I mean, beta is meant to test quality, standard user's view, and bugs. Most of this should be plausible by the team, because there are quite a few of you, and I think it would be done faster without the "Open Beta hype", because we all love Starbound :)

12. MrCreeper123125

MrCreeper123125 Zeromus

Your trying soo its good

13. Your Shadow

Your Shadow Contact!

Ending up being a beta tester would be something most people on this forum would die for, you have to be pretty god damn amazing.

14. CaptainMcManface

CaptainMcManface Pangalactic Porcupine

well just saying if you think about it when you CAN finally get the game its like getting the beta because not all the features have been added and they will keep adding stuff.

15. Aldacre

Aldacre Void-Bound Voyager

Today, most people believe that "beta test" means "free gift pass to play early", which is probably the largest reason that i'm happy for a closed beta. If I'm picked, awsome, I can report game breaking bugs and all that jazz. If I'm not, big deal, I'll wait for the full game.

Beta Test = Bug testing, NOT a free pass to play early.

16. xboy777

xboy777 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I agree. Being a beta tester isn't about playing the game first, it's about cracking down and going out of your way to find bugs and reporting that back to the devs. I think the people who experiment with the game's mechanics to find glitches, like the infamous duplication glitch, and purposely find ways to "cheat" throughout the gameplay experience make the perfect beta testers. Not saying that should be the only type people selected if there IS a closed beta because just having random players with different play styles could be equally beneficial to bug finding too since each player can play the game differently and experience different bugs.

17. xboy777

xboy777 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I imagine if there was a closed beta, around 50-100 of​
    the 5,724 members would be selected for the test starting with the mods and then going through the most active members to look for people who actually give input on other's ideas and really participate in community discussions. 50 to 100 seems to be a decent number of testers to keep track of and get enough feedback to fix any bugs potentially missed if there were just 20 people. Who knows, it might be more than that but I can't imagine keeping track of 100+ testers and all of their feedback.

[Edit] Looking at the forums home page, there's usually around 50 registered members online whenever I get on so 50-100 testers for a closed beta seems about right if they were to have one.

Aldacre likes this.
  18. Aldacre

Aldacre Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah, reasonable number, the sad thing is even a lot of the community now, despite saying that they'd actually beta test to find bugs, probably wont.

xboy777 likes this.
  19. Atlas

Atlas Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't even want to be a beta tester! Like everyone said, if they DO have a beta test, the few people they would probably choose will most likely have a programming background so they can give creative input on how to optimize and/or fix certain bugs in the game.
    I think that I would rather wait until the game become complete.
    It's just like an apple; sour and tart if eaten too soon, and rotten and rancid if eaten too late. In between is the perfect time, right when the apple becomes ripe.

xboy777 and Zoraculus like this.
  20. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

Don't forget while many may have a programing background, there is always a need for "the user input" meaning how a normal player would play the game.

Maunokki and xboy777 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.