Modding Discussion Awesome portalgun mod and more

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by 777JackOfBlades, Jul 18, 2017.

1. 777JackOfBlades

777JackOfBlades Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I created this topic because I wanted to share two great mod related to the game Portak that I found:

First one is the portal gun itself : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1076550331
    Finally a working portal gun in the game, with physics !
    And second one is about the turrets : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1041117185
    This mod add fully working turrets with voice lines from the game !
    The mod also add a singing turret

Hope you will all apreciate these mods , don't hesitate to share good portal mods !

2. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's cool that you got a portal gun working.

What does "No copyright infringement is intended" mean?

edit: I can't read.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

*sigh*

"This mod uses content owned by Valve. No copyright infringement is intended."

And people think that makes using such content perfectly ok... "Im not making any money, and I gave credit"...

4. 777JackOfBlades

Well it's just a mod , it doesn't harm anybody

5. lazarus78

Let me know when you make something, and ill be sure to steal it.

Your point is moot. Its not about harm, its about the simple fact that they don't have basic permission to use someone else's material, and they are brazen enough to distribute it.

So yeah, when you make something of your own, let me know, and ill be the first one to steal it.

6. Qbi Wan

Qbi Wan Pangalactic Porcupine

I think you both have right.
    Official permissions are vital for game development and stuff.
    But this is obvious to me that this time it WORKS FOR VALVE. Since this mod is based on Valve content, it was published on Valve gaming platform to make one of games sold there more awesome it just makes Valve happy (game more awesome = more money gained from more subscriptions sold). And they didn't spent a cent on it. Plus it shows cool stuff available in their other game, so someone can buy portal on Steam thanks to this mod.
    Different thing is if mod was based on Ubisoft or EA content. This could be messed up.

7. cpeosphoros

cpeosphoros Orbital Explorer

It is still copyright infringement.

lazarus78 likes this.
  8. 777JackOfBlades

Yeah I think I valve don't wanted this they would not have allowed this mod on their platforms, also it work as advertisment for portal , so I think Valve is in a win-win situtation.
    Plus I don't think reproducing a gun or sword from another video game is forbidden , but using sound from the game itself (like these mods does) might be troublesome, but it look like Valve moderators don't care much

9. 777JackOfBlades

Also Lazarus "So yeah, when you make something of your own, let me know, and ill be the first one to steal it." Great proof of maturity !
    Edit: by the way if you try , I would notice in short time , so don't

10. Qbi Wan

Yep.
    If someone steals my PC, I'm mad. But if someone takes it without my permission to give it back tuned up like hell... Well, I'm not mad.
    Both are theoretically stealing though.

11. cpeosphoros

cpeosphoros Orbital Explorer

It wouldn't be infringement if @777JackOfBlades didn't take assets (in the case the voice lines) from the other game. Just modding the ideas and concepts is cool, and goes very well with the "one game giving the other more hype" thing.

I don't care if Valve doesn't give a **** about that. As a producer of intellectual property myself, I really care about copyright infringement of that kind, because it could lead to a lot of different bad scenarios.

Spacedino likes this.
  12. lazarus78

More often it is they don't know about it. They don't have people specifically looking for such violations. That would a fools errand. They go by reports. But then, valve is known for not really caring about copyright violations in the workshop.

That was my point... I was showing the sillyness of that thought process, which is the same that people who think using copyrighted material is fine as long as they "give credit".

13. 777JackOfBlades

Dude I didn't make these mods I just shared them here

14. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Nobody should be attacking you for this, it does seem like there is attacking in the tone of it, and you definitely don't deserve that.

What @lazarus78 is trying to point out is that given the logic of "Well it's just a mod , it doesn't harm anybody" he would be happy to publish any work you make under his own name because, well, "it's just a mod , it doesn't harm anybody".

lazarus78 likes this.
  15. lazarus78

But ill be sure to give credit, but won't bother with getting actual permission. So that makes it ok, right?

16. Qbi Wan

Nope. Sure, it seems like they don't care, but to be really legit you need official permission. But again, as mentioned above, since it works for them and nobody won't sue them for having other than valve's content on steam, they don't care.

777JackOfBlades likes this.