1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

AVIANS AND APEX. Why does everyone hate them?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Lemony Shtickit, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Mangiz

Mangiz Void-Bound Voyager

It's obviously jealousy that causes the lesser species to dislike the Apex. Our superior intellects, advanced technologies, and utopian society put all others to shame.

Don't get me wrong, some of my best friends are humans, and I even know a floran or two that I don't mind, but how can you give sight to the willfully blind? We gave up our evolved bodies to enhance our minds- that takes forethought, that takes sacrifice, and, sometimes, that takes forced genetic reconfiguration on an empire-wide scale!

Proydoha likes this.
  2. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

I think it's normal to hate something like this. We just need to accept that not all beings love everything.

3. Warget

Warget Giant Laser Beams

Now I will list the reasons to not like the races. Some of them are disturbing, but you can deal with them with no discomfort.
    Avians: 1) they have Arabian(Egyptian)/Mayan culture, some people doesn't likes that. 2) (disturbing one) There is a lot of R34 about them on the Internet, with many M/M pictures - sime people HATES that. 3) They have "strange" armor, with loinclothes and giant feathers on the headpiece, this makes their appearance non-spacy - some people doesn't likes this.
    Florans: 1) They are bloodthirsty barbarians some people doesn't likes this. 2) They are plants, some people... you know. 3) They have tribal armor - not a space race.
    Apex: 1) They are "smartasses", who has the most powerful technologies. 2) The monkeys are considered the lower step of evolution (in human socium), seeing a chimpanzee-like woman with a beard is also disturbing for some people. 3) They have "boring" lore, with standart big-bad-ape in the top of the Empire and USSR-like decor items.
    Humans: 1) Humans are "boring" because they are default, and as my friend said "Im human myself! Give me something interesting!". 2) Humans had a mediocre-looking armor, before it was changed to military-styled one, both can be non-interesting for some people. 3) You ALWAYS get the pink undy on the man, even if you try to play with character generator, this makes some people RAGE.
    Glitch: 1) They are retro-robots, wich disturbes some people. 2) They are medieval and non-spacy. 3) The free-willed ones are exiles.
    Hylotl: 1) Fish-like amphibians with three red eyes - people never likes when you tell them that something isn't actually a fish. 2) The Asian culture, with Asian arrogance (Im really sorry to say such things, but if you read enough about the Japaneese culture, you will understand me), wich is really disturbing - not everybody wants to play as a jerk. 3) They were beaten by Florans, wich makes the plant people to stand above Hylotl.
    Novakid: 1) Lack of canonical lore - all we know is "The are star-people with a short in-generation-memory! And they are also a cowboys!" 2) No melee weapons with only 2 gun types, so no shotguns, machineguns and boomsticks (this is really UNCOOL). 3) 90% of comunity started playing as one. I mean the new people, not Red Giants like me (started playing as human), or other Koala guys.

BUT! Before you will drown me with hatred and throw your stones and beat me with your sticks, I will apologise for the things I said above. I didn't want to make somebody feel bad.

And now to the good sides, or why you could like the races!
    Avians: 1) They are bird-like and looks really cute with their big black eyes and sometimes puffy cheeks. 2) They have really interesting decorative items, starting from the wall carpet and finishing with golden control pads. 3) They are friendly! Even the NPC's are being really nice to every single person (if im not mistaken). So why you shouldn't play as a nice cuddly birdy with soft loving temper?... Plus, there is also a lot of good NON-r34 arts with them.
    Florans: 1) They are plants! This makes them really unique and cool to play as. 2) They look cute. Everybody with big black eyes looks cute in this game... I mean the playable ones. 3) They have absolute freedom - you are not going to be exile for your entire life for just thinking diffirently... Plus they have interesting lore and one victorious war in their pocket.
    Apex: 1) They are truly sapient creatures! 2) There is something romantic in the fact of being the cool guy, who goes against the will of the Big Ape. 3) They have the MOST awesome scietific furniture I ever seen in this game!... Plus some people likes them for being retro-high-tech.
    Humans: 1) They are humans! Nothing can go wring with good ol'humans as a playable race. Somebody will like them anyway! 2) They are the first race, who went to space. Read the lore! 3) Their appearance is also looks pretty good for me. It could be much worse!... Plus they have awesome Isaac Clark armor!
    Glitch: 1) They are Medieval...Robots... In space... It's pretty much awesome, don't you think? 10) Nice decor and armor! 3) They have really interesting lore for the roleplayers - it's a bit challenging to play as a robot... Plus, their armor is so Dwarven!
    Hylotl: 1) Some people will really like their armor and furniture! 2) They are really creative if it comes to art, poety and literature. 3) They are the most Alien-looking race in the game. Seriously!... Plus they have underwater cities!
    Novakid: 1) The lack of lore gives pure freedom for the artists and writers. Some makes them have 3 fingers, some gives them silly temper, some makes them have gen... Okay, this one I will not uncover. >_>" 2) Awesome appearance! And the cowboy clothes makes them even awesomer. 3) Guns, glorious guns!... Plus - they have the most catchy faces in the whole game. You NEVER forget about them being in Starbound.

And the funny part - everything I said can be considered ONLY as my own opinion... But I don't hate any of the races =(
    Maybe I don't like Hylotl, but only lorewide.

Firepaw Da Cat likes this.
  4. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

I have no hate for any race in starbound, they all taste nice in a stew.

On a more serious note, Its somewhat hard to make a apex male that dosen't look like a bald old man or someone in a garage band. The male apex need more customisation options.

Warget likes this.
  5. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

Personally I don't hate either race, but both of them have horrible governments that must be purged by the might of the USCM's fully operational battle station.

6. Warget

Warget Giant Laser Beams

And Novakid says: "HA!!!"

Hawk Novablast likes this.
  7. Airique

Airique Void-Bound Voyager

Apex is my favorite race in the game, and since the races were announced, I knew I was going to play one as my main. After all the times the characters got wiped I recreated an Apex for my main again as well. I've had characters of other races too, but haven't played them nearly as much. I think one of the reasons I love the Apex so much is because I love all of the classic Planet of The Apes films. So much. Also Donkey Kong and Diddy are awesome. Also Yuri from Awesomenauts is a bad ass. Seriously. Who doesn't like primates?

Warget likes this.
  8. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

I beg to differ... I have a ssstrong sss sound irl... having a race with a ssstrong s sound ISSS enought reasson for me to favour them...

Also, I guess because they fill the ssstereotypical "they re nazis, they re religious dumb sticks" kinda folk, also I dont like apes... of any type... but I dont actually dislike the apex, on the contrary, I like them more than humans, who seem a bit stale compared to the aforementioned races

9. Nazja

Nazja Pangalactic Porcupine

I like both races a lot, but I've got to say that their dungeons/villages are somewhat boring. Don't get me wrong, I like 1984, but it would be great if that weren't the only thing they had going for them.

Human, hylotl and novakid dungeons/villages are also somewhat boring, but they have less or none. :p

10. Vith

Vith Cosmic Narwhal

The Apex ship is my most favorite ship design by far... I really like the clean and efficient look. I admit that I would pick any other race to play as rather than the apex (I am partial to humans), but they're not bad.

11. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

People hate avian? what?! but i like them D= in fact they're my main race...

12. Lemony Shtickit

Lemony Shtickit Big Damn Hero

Same here. It's just in game and a little on the forums I have seen quite a share of Avian haters and even more Apex haters. Those are my favorite races! Also the Apex ship and everything except the Apex themselves looks awesome.

13. Nibolas O Anelbozas

btw, the avians are the race with less xenophobia in the whole universe, in fact they love to meet new people.

14. Murderatte

Murderatte Phantasmal Quasar

I thought they're all humans. Just with different cultures.

j/k

Isn't it baiting to flat out state in the title "a lot" of people hate a certain race? Or is this an RP thread?

15. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I don't hate avian. I wouldn't play as one, but then I wouldn't play as a dark elf in elder scrolls either, don't mean I hate em.

I do wonder how they stay alive in tombs below ground though. Friggen DEVOTED.

16. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Praise Kluex and everything will be fine, also they eat there so...

17. IJustWantTheModsBrah

IJustWantTheModsBrah Orbital Explorer

I just like all the races except human. (my favourite race is still the mod-added Star though) And i really,really like the Apex.i dont like the design of the species itself.but the lore,the technology and the uniform styles always get me.

18. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Oh, I hate elves. With a passion.
    Smug bastards. Always feeling superior because "oh, look at how my fingers glow. I can zap you before you get within ten yards of me". Yeah well I can plunge a kinfe on your back before you even see me buddy, let's see how your magic helps you with my blade sticking out of your throat.

High elves get the brunt of my scorn. I haven't come across one that treated me proper. Always that smug air of superiority. In fact, I hate almost every race whose culture revolves around magic. They always turn out like asshats.

19. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

He was referring to dark elves when you were scorning high elves, two completely different races there, bud. I don't like a snobbish high elf as much as the next person, but don't go think'in all elf races are the same.

20. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

I was scorning all elves. Dark elves are guilty of the same sin, only to a lesser extent. Have you played Morrowind?

Besides, I wasn't restricting my disdain to Elder Scrolls. There are Dark Elves in other games and they are different than the tribunal-crazed Dunmer.
    Heck, even Wood elves, who largely gets a pass from me, can be grating when they lean too heavily on Tree-worshipping (looking at you, Neverwinter Nights 2).

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015