1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Avali Race Mod 0.12.4

The only fluffy nomadic space raptors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Ketchup Robot

Ryu and his other cohorts did try to start their own forum... but it failed badly because when people made accounts no one could sign into the forum with them.

2. legoracer

legoracer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Took me a few tries to find it, but I finally got the search function to give me Ryuujin's response to the subject all the way back on page 35. Here's the relevant bit:

Not sure if this has changed in the time since. We'd have to ask Ryuujin again if we really wanted to be sure.

3. Silavor

Silavor Pangalactic Porcupine

Ah, right. Back in the days when females were typically only dull browns and greys.

4. Myifee

Myifee Guest

Mine follows the two-tone rule while being slightly different. Light gray/white and black.

5. Arcalane

Arcalane Pangalactic Porcupine

Not a bad idea. I've set up a channel - #AvaliNexus - on irc.rizon.net. Go nuts.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  6. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Because if you played (Or seen) the prequel adventure back in Spore you'd have seen them in their native habitat, and they're pink ;)

It is and quite frequently, but the colour range is something to bare in mind, a female with strong colours is like a male human dyeing their hair bubblegum pink and putting on makeup and blush :p - though I did also slip in a note that such a view is seen as old fashioned these days.

"Today's youths, it's unatural I tell ya, females walking 'round with bright pink feathers. it ain't right!"

7. Arcaline

Arcaline Void-Bound Voyager

Time to help add to the page count with more posts then? :p I jest.
    If I had more time & motivation, I should go through and compile all the information in this thread :rofl: But 405+ and growing pages is a lot o.o; At least it shouldn't get much bigger than 500. (according to the rules on the forum rules thread, that would be the time to make a new thread )

I do have some questions that hopefully haven't been answered already or are at least still somewhat useful: ( I did search , if they have already been addressed, im sorry ._. )
    (I was going to post them straight out but I feel the questions could be annoying, especially if they are already addressed so I compromised and put them in a spoiler so they can be ignored if you want too)

Its alright if I ask a lot of questions? I don't mean to be a too much of a pain, but theres a few few below >.>

- Do any of the Avali keep livestock, farms or pets of any kind at all, either on Avalon or off world? I don't think they would seeing as they are nomadic hunters and not capitalists, but just asking :rofl: (well,except they have flora farms with the aeroponics don't they)

-- Following on from that, what kind of limitations are there to the Avali diet?
    They dont seem to be Obligate Carnivores. I noticed earlier that it was possible some Avali are Vegans and such, so does that mean the Avali are Omnivores with a primarily Meat diet? (On that note,
    facultative Carnivores are also Omnivores yeah? That bit was confusing to me)

Would they consider eating Aliens, I don't see it posing too much of an ethical problem for them?
    For example are human remains edible to an Avali and If it was edible would it be something they would consider eating? (It seems like the Florans could eat anything that breathes >.> Is it a case of Meat is Meat regardless of the planet it is on? The Avali would have sufficient technology to determine if the meat would have undesirable effects like microviruses, chemicals and such, and able to modify it to make it edible?) Or is it too watery/warm/somethingsciencyIdontknowabout/just not a good idea? Though they could just cook and/or cool and/or prepare the human remains. How different is the meat of the large herbivores on Avalon to say, Beef basically? :p

- Considering that there would be other planets that are more suitable for permanent settlements (and likewise others that are not very suited to permanent settlements), would the Avali be more inclined to make permanent settlements on other suitable planets and how large would they be or be capable of becoming (Would an off world settlement ever become bigger than those on Avalon? Or due to their Culture etc, settlements just wouldn't get that big as it would be unnecessary? Are the settlements that are off world often relocated or torn down? From what I gather they wouldn't just build settlements everywhere like Humans might :rofl:

- Also, if there was say a pack of 4 avali, and three of them were nice natured, but one was a jerk/rather different personality, would that be enough for the others to turn or eject the minority Avali from the pack? Or is that kind of thing generally dealt with before a pack is solidified, or do they work out the issue into something manageable and keep them around or packs don't form like that?
    Are Pack Individuals usually similar natured to the other pack members?

- How would an avali go about finding a mate/courting?

- Are the Avali only Binary gendered? (Obviously the game engine only allows for two)
    Would there be Transgendered Avali and other gender identifications like there are with Humans? How would they be treated by the larger Avali society?

- And lastly a somewhat silly question, how common is it for packs and pack members and even whole tribes to look visually similar/alike or have defining visuals to each other? And also do tribes from different locales have visual differences, like we have racial differences?

I can understand if some of these don't have definite answers available yet :p

That's a shame, a sub forum would of been a good place for people to RP outside of the game :p

On a side note, it bothers me in Starbound that you can only sleep upright, I want to sleep on the floor :rofl:
    And then I got a picture of a Glitch turning into a box to sleep... >.> even though they dont

So I could make some Drag Avali :D

Shard of Sorrow likes this.
  8. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

4 hours of sleep: Time for spring break aftermath photo!
    [​IMG]
    I REGRET NOTHING! (except maybe I don't have a pair of sunglasses handy...)

0deneb0 likes this.
  9. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

It seems logical that they'd need to to feed the entire population these days, even if they were migratory in the past tracking herds of prey animals.

They're very much obligate. it's worth remembering that all species can digest processed foods. Cats for example are true, obligate carnivores. But we feed them processed dry food in addition to meat, the avali forms of noodles and whatnot fall into a similar catagory. avali vegans use supplements to counter the lack of essential proteins foudn in meat. (Also, they are pretty rare and considered freaks :p)

They have the technology to determine if it's safe to eat and render edible. But bare in mind most CHZ worlds are going to have water-based biologies, who's inhabitants will freeze solid at avali body temperatures so they'd have tor eally over-do the food (ie. boil off most of it's liquid content til it's a very dry, stringy jerky unless they replace the water with ammonia). Avalon lifeforms obviously share their ammonia biology, so they are rather juicier :p

Given that most worlds arn't going to have a breathable atmosphere, I'd expect that surface operations would be rather limited and we might see something more akin to the Quarian migrant fleet for nomadic starbound packs. Living off their ships, and only establishing temporary surface structures while carrying out activities.

It seems unlikely such a pack would bondi n the first place, but this is one example of what i mean by dissonance in the wiki. And is one of the circumstances in which a pack member may become unbonded/ejected and bind to a new pack.

They make friends outside the pack, and finding a mate inside the pack isn't unusual either (packs rarely contain blood relatives), much the same way as humans really.

Frank anatomical discussion follows!
    There isn't really a lot of middleground in the Avali. Transgendered humans are usually genetically male, or genetically female (With exception of rare mutations), and have external genetalia that may sit somewhere on the spectrum from male to female. Those who receive a sex change only really change the external genitalia, and often receive hormone replacement. However, in Avali the external sexual anatomy is identical in both male and females and gender roles have greater parity - the only difference being feather colours and the internal organs. I'm not sure Avali medical tech is so advanced they can fundamentally change body function (replacing an organ is one thing, installing a complex organ that was never there in the first place, and giving the body the appropriate hormonal and neural responses to operate it is something else entirely.

Not very. Tribes have a high degree of mobility, accepting new members from other colonies and tribes on a regular basis. "tribe" is still used to describe the social hierachy, but they're more often grouped around skillset than genetic lineage these days.

OssomSagax, J_Mourne, Silavor and 3 others like this.
  10. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Well aren't you just a wealth of knowledge, this was fun to read.

11. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

A juicy cube of knowledge, he is! =D

Trucker's fact wonder-ence: Do genders affect their body sizes and strength? Which gender makes up most of the workforce?
    That's the best I could do without sounding like a sexist. xD

12. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

I still find it hilarious that Billy Mays couldn't tell that the stripes on the head defined a female, he was so confused when I told him. Gotta pay attention, this is one of the few races where females don't just happen to have breasts and different hairstyles.

Battle Bee likes this.
  13. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Undecided. In most species where the male is "prettier" the females tend to be slightly larger and stronger built. That said it was a deliberate design decision to ensure a high degree of gender parity, so not sure I want that.

14. MrMadmanx2

MrMadmanx2 Cosmic Narwhal

I see. maybe we can role play sometime, if you do that

15. MrMadmanx2

indeed

16. Icebelly

Icebelly Weight of the Sky

So I finally got my hands on the update and decided to try something with the vanities.
    All of my items are a sort of ice color :p
    [​IMG]
    The trimmed wrap goes really well with the trenchcoat surprisingly.

Shard of Sorrow and Marxon like this.
  17. MrMadmanx2

Looking Good! ^ ^

18. Kn4ck3br0d37

Kn4ck3br0d37 Big Damn Hero

Hell yeah. I mean just taking direct inspiration from real life gets a few ideas. Underslung grenade launchers. Underslung Aerotech flechette launchers. Smoke grenade launcher? Could be a grenade flilled with nanites that burst into a cloud and heal in the area but that might be a bit OP but still could be cool.

Underslung aerotech chainsaw? NOTHIN' BUT BITS!

Also since avali likes sound.... Underslung dubstep cannon. Creates a shockwave that knocks back enemies... lol

Congratulations dude, really. You've done a great job so far and well, even if you think we're annoying or clingy some of the time, numbers like that don't come from people disliking your stuff. Great work Ryu. I would tell you to keep up the good work but I'll just say rememeber to take a break from work as well so you don't let us run you ragged.

HNNNNNNNGN

Also the bottom checkered entrance canvas.. all I can hear is peach from the mario party games going "FINISH!!"

Also not complaining, this is awesome but I thought you said the title of this patch was "Fun little things" not "BOOM MOTHER****ER! Six new tielsets! Art'd!" and that's not even mentioning the new vanity stuff you already showed us.

Hah, ditto.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice work overall and I'm sorry for these quote fests but I've been very busy these last few days so I kind of have to catch up.

Also an idea hit me, although it may be better to direct this to Catalina's mod. I was playing around the the new stuff, really liking it when I thought about the helmet. It's cool as all hell and when it's white it made me think back to republic commando. In that game all the solders in your unit had the exact same helmet, but they had different colored markings on the helmet. You probably thought of this already but I just wanted to make a suggestion:

Since the leg slot is basically whole-body armor and the head slot is the helmet, the chest is kind of free for "extras". Do you think it would be possible to make a "chest" pice that's actually just a diagonal band running over the helmet? So you could keep the iconic white armor but still distinguish yourself from others in your unit by dying this stripe different colors without the need to have a special helmet for every possible combination. Would it even be a good idea? Anyway just wanted to throw the idea out there. Good job once again Ryu.

And last but not least you said Avali singing was high-pitched. Are Avali real? Have we secretly been hearing their song for years? Are Nintendo a front for Avali study of humans?

19. MrMadmanx2

interesting point

20. InADarkMirror

InADarkMirror Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah. I ask because the first avali character I made, Nika, had orange highlights with her grey-and-white colouration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.