1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Avali Race Mod, The second thread!

Discussion in 'Races' started by RyuujinZERO, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thakyZ

thakyZ Cosmic Narwhal

Actually we didn't speed up the crops we just made the harvest treasure pools fixed to the regular it is still the same growing speed, however it does like all the crops grow instantly after you unload the planet and load it back, but that is by default, and I believe it is just a starbound glitch...

2. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I know that the times weren't changed. I meant something else.

3. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

Here's how things work in Starbound, from what I've gathered:
    Items are listed on the back-end (The coding for what goes on behind the scenes) as their item names. In this case, 'graphene'. Whenever anything calls for 'graphene', the front-end (The coding for the parts you see) looks up the index for the items, finds 'graphene' and pulls up the information regarding that item, such as name, description, etc.,

Servers are 100% back-end. In fact, most scripts that are needed on clients (What you're playing) aren't needed on servers. Servers have no need for item icons or descriptions, becaue there's nobody to display them to. The clients handle all that. So when a server sees 'graphene', that's ALL it sees. It doesn't know what mod it came from, or anything.

So let's say you and a friend are playing Avali and FU together on a server. You've deleted Avali's graphene and they've deleted FU's graphene. What's the difference? Nothing. Both you and your friend have 2 recipes for graphene: 1 using coal at the Avali Nanolathe, and the other using whatever FU uses at whatever station FU needs. Now let's say you toss them one of your graphene, that should cause problems, right? Wrong. Your client, their client, and even the server, all see only 'graphene'. On your side, you'll see yourself tossing your kind of graphene out, but on theirs they see you tossing THEIR kind of graphene, because their client loaded different files to display for the same item: 'graphene'.

TL;DR: Deleting either Graphene is like using a texturepack in minecraft: It's completely cosmetic and won't affect gameplay.

ShadoRoboto likes this.
  4. ShadoRoboto

ShadoRoboto Void-Bound Voyager

Right, apologies, the concern presented to me was that players were getting around the difficulty curve of Frackin' Universe by merely using the Avali version of graphene, which, since they're both graphene, worked fine, thereby eliminating a good chunk of progress required in the former mod. It's why I suggested a variant to make Avali graphene more distinct, separate, and of a different calibur to benefit both mods. It makes it incompatible with FU, and makes it more unique to Avali. However, graphene is graphene, and it's a waste to change that notion. Thank you for the explanation!

5. LegendXCarisso

LegendXCarisso Pangalactic Porcupine

So wait. Is Avali's race mod being actively developed? ....Or is it just being updated by the fans now?

6. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

I'm fairly certain that Ryuu is working on an official update. It's why I've been hesitant to add in new content, because whatever I add would just turn into PGI's once Ryuu updates.

No, no, you make a valid point. Unfortunately, a few things stand in the way of making such a change:
    1. The sheer amount of effort and time it would take to look through every last recipe and change every instance of 'graphene' to 'avaligraphene'.
    2. See above, where any 'avaligraphene' would just turn into PGIs once Ryuu updates and changes the item back to 'graphene'.
    3. Any graphene currently present would turn into PGI's for anyone not running FU. For those running FU and having removed FU's version of graphene, they'd have to reinstall to get graphene back, or they run into problems with recipes asking for an item that doesn't exist.
    Instead, I can avoid 1, 2, and 3 altogether by just telling people to remove one of the graphene.items present. A small effort on their part against a large effort and multiple problems later seems like a decent tradeoff.

EDIT: ALternately, I could write a patch for it, but it's a lot easier to just delete one file than install a patch.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    ShadoRoboto likes this.
  7. Skerge2

Skerge2 Aquatic Astronaut

How do you install the dye patch.
    I got the folders, where do i put them.

8. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

In the mod folder, like any mod goes.

9. Skerge2

But i just get an error.

10. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

Did you get the dye patch, and install it like a normal mod? Post your starbound.log file, so there can be a better diagnosis.

11. Skerge2

I got the dye mod, dye patch, and avali-dyemod

12. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

...you need the Avali update itself. You can't use a patch without the original mod.

13. Skerge2

I also have that.

14. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

Post your starbound.log, please.
    I can't do anything without the .log file.

15. Skerge2

which one.

16. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

The starbound.log folder.
    The first one.

17. Skerge2

Where.

Attached Files:

18. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

Giraffe storage. The first starbound.log.

19. Skerge2

The log or text file.

Attached Files:

20. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

The first one in that list.
    Just paste it in a spoiler.
    Code:
    [spoiler][/spoiler]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.