Modding Discussion Avali 1.0 Reboot Discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RyuujinZERO, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Oh sweet child, I already have them.

But yeah, if you need help with 1.0 modding, I'm more than willing to help out like I did when I first helped Triage, Ryuujin.

Nomanskyfan443 likes this.
  2. Ser-matticus

Ser-matticus Big Damn Hero

Like engineers in maintenance uniforms and soldiers in combat armor?

3. leinglo

leinglo Phantasmal Quasar

Looks like it. I'm thinking, if he's got the code to split protectorate uniforms between different crew classes, could that be engineered to include races as well? Or maybe the avali could have their own separate crew classes to differentiate them.

4. Ser-matticus

Tbh I would've liked the ability to set each individual crew members outfit then you could have a mixed Avali and non Avali crew

Shaadaris and hypergen8 like this.
  5. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

It all depends upon what the Starbound Engine actually allows us to do with mods....

6. Gratuitous Lurking

Gratuitous Lurking Space Kumquat

Only downside would be it would muck with other crew mods. Personally I'm a big fan of Earth's finest for example, which keeps uniforms standardized again, and thus offers issues with mixed-sprite crews...

7. Dipdoo

Dipdoo Existential Complex

Would it be possible to set jobs with the same exact function as the normal ones, just specifically for Avali? As in there's a normal Soldier job as well an Avali_Soldier job.

8. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

I'm sure it's possible to add new jobs. But would it be possible to stop other races from ending up with the Avali_Soldier job?
    I'd check myself but I have yet to bother trying to make heads or tails of Starbound's scripts and assets.

9. leinglo

leinglo Phantasmal Quasar

That's what I was thinking. If that could work, the role specific uniforms mod code could be used to have both avali and vanilla crew members on the same ship without uniform conflicts. In theory. I haven't even downloaded the mod to see just how Foxer did what he did, and I probably wouldn't understand half of what I was looking at anyway.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  10. fernworrier

fernworrier Giant Laser Beams

stay epic Ryuujin it's great to see you back!

11. jaymee_murder

jaymee_murder Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ryujiin, now ur taking over will we be getting Codexes, ships pets and respawn animations?

I think this is defo the best race mod, the art and lore and theme of the race feel soooo vanilla it's great, i think anything you can do to make the race mesh in with all the vanilla races will work wonders, a lot of their progression atm is a bit different from the vanilla races, although in many ways i like the crafting stations and stuff, it would be nice if maybe they somehow were integrated with the vanilla crafting stations better.

Another thing that would be kool, is if a large mission like the race specific mission in the main story line was added as a side quest for the avali, going further into their lore and maybe set on avalon, it could be some kind of ritualistic, traditional hunting event, where you work with a pack of avali npcs to raid a dungeon and eventually take down a large monster, then one of the npcs joins the outpost and has a store that sells special avali themed stuff. This could be a way for non-avali races to get access to the avali crafting stations

You could also have some sort of livestock from avalon, like a goat-like creature or a dodo, or some sort of yeti-dino-livestock hybrid

Im also wondering if triage will keep all its content until this reboot is well up and running?

12. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Yes, yes and yes.

I'm not fully aware of the fine details of the triage current progression system. It used to be their progression followed the same pattern as the other races during a far earlier stage of development. Naturally their progression will be brought more in line with the other races.

This is certainly a long term goal to add additional mission and story content to flesh out the race background, that will be after the race content is shored up and fleshed out however.

That is my formal advice to the Triage guys that they continue as they have done. It'll be quite a while before the official mod is up to speed, and once it does catch up there is quite a bit of content I plan to trim from the mod, that the triage mod can retain so the triage becomes a sort've combined unofficial expansion/legacy content pack for people who want more tiles, props, clothing, weapons etc that are not officially supported.

13. Ancev Caine

Ancev Caine Existential Complex

From reading Fevix's posts he seems to favor the idea of placing Triage into standby mode for now, fixing bugs and refraining from adding new content until more information about Avali Reboot and what it will be retaining or cutting is available, then effectively turning Triage into a collection of content removed from the reboot. That's just my interpretation, though, @Fevix would have to explain further.

14. Ser-matticus

The progression system for the current build for getting gear is focused around the crafting stations specifically the anvil, spinning wheel, furnace, and inventors table. You first build an inventors table, then use it to build the other stations. Once you mine the appropriate resources you upgrade a station to the next tier which unlocks more recipes.

Ores have been redone and material progression for armor and weapons is. Iron, tungsten, titanium, dura-steel, then the three advanced ores (aegisalt, violium, and ferozium,) which then is upgraded with solarium. Additionally to make armor you need inlay materials for comfort such as cotton, silk, and leather

Environmental protection is done via EPP which as a rather bulky (and unfitting for an Avali) backpack that can be build and upgraded to protect the wearer from different enviroments and the environment of the previous tiers. To do so if your unlucky with drops you need to raise fluffalos the only special mob drop you need is a living root to build the EPP is a living root.

The matter manipulator is upgrade via manipulator modules that can only be found and are used to upgrade each system of the device, from area it can mind, mining speed, range, and additional systems (fluid collection, wiring, and painting)

The ship upgrade system revolves around how many upgrade modules you can find and the number of crew
    you have. Each level needs an additional two crew members before you can tier up, then you need the modules to pay for the upgrade. Either that or you can 'legitly' buy your higher tier licenses once you unlock the shop

Tech is much more simplified with three abilities. (Dash, pulse jump, and morph b- distortion sphere) then each of those abilites have three other variants of themselves that you use the only found tech cards to unlock such as the sphere unlocking a spike mode, a roll on water mode, or spin dash ability.

This is just took and character progression and has nothing to do with the main quest after doing the first mission to fix your ships FTL

15. Ancev Caine

Ancev Caine Existential Complex

I think you may have misunderstood Ryuujin's post - it seemed to me he was saying he wasn't familiar with Triage's progression compared to vanilla 1.0's race progression, not the other way around. In the case of Triage, the focus seems slightly less on careful upgrading of crafting stations and more on getting enough pixels to buy the Avali crafting stations, then enough pixels and ore to make the weapons and armor, etc. with a big focus on gaining plenty of coal for graphene production.

16. baltosaa

baltosaa Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm just curious, would it be possible to have both the Triage version and the new reboot version installed at the same time?

Since they're two seperate mod clients themselves, I don't see why not. But just to be sure...

17. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

The "Progression" in Triage....

1). Armor is exactly the same as vanilla.
    2). Melee weapons are exactly the same as vanilla. (except for the stupid thing in Vanilla where you only get a weapon every other tier of a certain type)

The only difference are the guns (you make the weapon workbench and then you can make any gun you want as long as you have the materials).

And of course, all the Avali recipes being on the Avali stations rather than the Workbench, etc.

18. Ser-matticus

Oops well regardless he hasn't played Starbound of this Version from what I know so it helps see what he needs to do to focus on designing Avali progression,
    I say it would need less pixle farming and more actual resource harvesting to make the stations and gear

19. Ser-matticus

Then we need actual recipes for guns instead of metal and pixles

20. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Respawn animations? I thought this idea was forgotten long ago, due to the amount of work needed for something everyone skips?