August 4th - Liquidity

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon Space Kumquat

You somehow managed to skip the first part of my post. I acknowledged that the only reason I could think of for why they didn't was "forum crybabies". But since a big part of their lure for early access was that you'd "be able to have input into the shaping of the final game", I fail to see why a few immature whiners would be a good enough reason to not use what's already there. I'd much prefer they focus on aspects of the game that WE can't mod, such as what they're doing with dungeon generation and missions. Also, there really is only so much detail you can squeeze into a sprite thats less than 128x128 pixels big (I don't recall the precise dimensions from when I messed with the race sprites, but it's really very small, and I think even smaller than that, especially in width).

2. Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon Space Kumquat

Maybe it dehydrates the liquids? Although this makes less sense for water... I know - it digitizes them, converting matter to energy and saves it onto your computer! :]

Buuut we could also just be honest in saying that this is a sci-fi/fantasy game, and in reality you can stuff more junk into your "backpack" (inventory) then you'd ever be able to carry irl. :facepalm:

Ttamage likes this.
  3. Shadestyle

Shadestyle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

"Have input", there ya go, not "Make content", not "Create art assets", not even "Have your very own mod included in the main game" they said we would have input, and that should be good enough, if they didn't know what they were doing, they would have fallen for idiots who call them incompetent and say the game is dead. If they want to make novakids from scratch, then they have a reason for doing so, even if they don't tell you or I personally. It's like buying food as opposed to making it, one is quicker, but the other one lets you get all the ingredients juuusst right. sure some people might think they taste the same, but then some people have better taste in food.

4. TheLoneGamer

TheLoneGamer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Even if left click doesn’t pump out liquid and right click doesn’t vacuum it up, I’m sure that’ll be modded in really quickly especially since the features of this item isn’t hard coded. It’s a popular enough suggestion from this topic alone. I guess this isn’t in the nighty build yet since no one has talked about using it yet. If the sprite isn’t a placeholder, I’m sure someone will change the sprite to be more futurist looking.

However, if Chucklefish did implant the modded Novakids as official, I can see more complaints than usual. I’m not just talking about “modders are doing their job” but also because it would put into question the extra funding goal to put in Novakids. Why would they have listed that as a bonus if they were just going to import the same content that someone did for free? I can see how backers would be upset about that. Sure no one was forced to back anything, but the bonuses do give motivation to send more money than usual. At least with the Novakids being directly developed by Chucklefish, they can avoid that particular backlash. I wonder how this will affect the mod already out there, would it be renamed to something like Betakids?

5. William Lee Twitch

William Lee Twitch Subatomic Cosmonaut

I like this. I always wanted to put poison traps around my fortress to keep some of the beasts at bay. Any chance of using these guns on turrets to shoot acid at the flying enemies? Or maybe flaming oil!

Ttamage likes this.
  6. Shadestyle

Shadestyle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I want you to be able to put an instrument in a turrent and set a predetermined song from your song list for it to play.

7. dylanhism

dylanhism Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah xD

8. Lintton

Lintton Guest

:applies gun to novakid:

Novakid: Turn it off, man! Turn it off! It's sucking my will to live!!

Idlemind likes this.
  9. daman137

daman137 Void-Bound Voyager

i think the Sprite should look more like the poltergust 3000 from luigi's mansion

10. Bizarre Monkey

Bizarre Monkey Big Damn Hero

I love this way of transporting fluid, reminds me of the Hydro-manipulator in the first Ratchet and Clank game. (I can't remember exactly what the weapon was called.)

11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

:monkey:

12. Bizarre Monkey

see, we're learnin' stuff!

I wish it was that easy in Terraria, easiest way to make obsidian?

Introduce the Ocean to Hell.

13. hm1629

hm1629 Space Hobo

Seems like something fun to use, and will this lead to oil as fuel for certain things?

14. Onyxheart

Onyxheart Void-Bound Voyager

I wants...

also i hope there will be pumps as well so we can create functioning airlocks underwater

and y'know deep ocean planets so we can have someplace to go with said functioning airlocks

Bronze Dog likes this.
  15. Zi Prophet

Zi Prophet Void-Bound Voyager

Kawa likes this.
  16. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Incidentally...
    You're right, it is smaller than that: 43×43, oddest cell size I've ever seen.

17. Zeffia

Zeffia Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Should totally have the gun the method for spraying the water where you want it too :p Then people could fight with them.

Ttamage likes this.
  18. fred101j

fred101j Aquatic Astronaut

1. ITS A NOVAKID!
    2.I like the Idea

19. Dokuczliwy

Dokuczliwy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Find an ocean planet ... Turn all the water into deuterium ... Fuel my base for ages ...
    Search for oil, like a true american ... Suck the planet dry ...
    My dreams are coming true!

Ttamage likes this.
  20. Bizarre Monkey

Thank you glorious patriot spirit of liberation i appreciate that!