August 29th - Kindergarten

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

@metadept is having no planets or clouds when on the planet a new thing now?
    cus its been in the nightlys for about 3 weeks x.x

2. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

At first glance I thought the green hill background was an acid pool.
    So I was like "If their idea of a peaceful, easy environment for new player to get into include acid pools, then what would their hard core difficulty biomes will be like?"

3. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

I hope there'll be some kind of variation when it comes to early planets, though! I definitely always liked that!

4. TottWriter

TottWriter Title Not Found

It is annoying, buuut, you can also get plant fibres from farming plants, and the starter crops only take 10 minutes to grow.

If you want fibre, plant the wheat as it's seed heavy, and within a few harvests you should have a pretty sizeable farm, which generates a reliable amount of plant fibre. Not ever harvest will give you some, but that's where quantity comes into play. (Wheat, wheeeaaaaat)

5. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

I was hoping for that!

Last 3 starting worlds I got had meteor sand fire rains!

The first tutorial world should be more comfotable, less hostile. It'll be nice if it has some initial 2-3 racial-themed techs towards the end before leaving like a higher jump and a little speed boost.

6. blackshadow2000

blackshadow2000 Void-Bound Voyager

why not just get the fibre trees? you can easily get thousands of plant fibre within minutes lol.

7. Zael

Zael Scruffy Nerf-Herder

IMHO some of the advanced planets should be populated and thus paved over.

8. Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

I hope there will be teletubbies on these worlds So I can viciously murder them. Haha

9. GorunNova

GorunNova Pangalactic Porcupine

If I'm not mistaken... the Garden biome has replaced the Grasslands one in the latest nightly? I see the former in the archive, but the latter is gone.

10. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I'm so very disappointed right now.

11. glitterdeath

glitterdeath Void-Bound Voyager

I'm so happy about this! The last planet I started on didn't have any source of plant fibre anywhere near the surface which made for a frustrating start.

12. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

That is sad if it is true, still would have been nice to see one that is less peaceful with that similar layout. I actually prefer variety, but that is up to the devs, and it is not the end yet. If doesn't make it; at least I know their will be other biomes to check out when the time comes. :)

13. Frostfall

Frostfall Big Damn Hero

Hmm, I like this! I also hope there are randomly generated worlds of this sort. I'd love to find a peaceful world to put a colony on (poor colonists getting eaten by everything on other worlds :( )

14. TottWriter

TottWriter Title Not Found

Well, yes, but if you start on a planet without those trees you won't be able to do that. Whereas, everyone starts with wheat, and I was answering regarding that starting scenario.

Kawa likes this.
  15. Zylann

Zylann Intergalactic Tourist

Will higher tier planets have something more than just "craggier"?
    For instance, let's say, deep holes through the planet's core (as in corrupted biomes of Terraria), or structures that are not generated with basic Perlin noise?

16. Atheon

Atheon Orbital Explorer

It's nice to have a more friendly planet in the beginning, but, I have to point this out, putting chest on the surface of the planet... Not really inviting to the hole exploration focus you guys are going for.
    Chest should always be behind some challenge, like a deep cave or a cool dungeon... or the belly of some monster ;). Anything that would make the player think: "Well, I really did deserve this because "__________".

TheUnartist likes this.
  17. nightarix

nightarix Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hmm, if they need a reason to add a paved planet, they could add it as a Crash Bandicoot reference, specifically for the villain Nitros Oxide from CTR(crash team racing), after all he supposedly would've turned Crash Bandicoot's homeworld into a concrete parking lot when he won. (i don't believe they had a cinematic for that in-game though, or at least i don't remember getting one)

18. KazeSkyfox

KazeSkyfox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I might build a permanent house in one of these biomes, but I liked the grassland ones just fine because they had a lot of pretty flowers.

Also, how the hell am I supposed to find ore if there are no surface caves leading down? I've never liked digging my own caves, I don't do that in Minecraft and it has ruined my desire to play Planet Explorers. I'd like to have an adventure, not grind through rock for 20 minutes. >_>

19. zaik

zaik Void-Bound Voyager

On the nightly there was a smaller one that had a ton of tents, crates, and metal boxes in it. Tbh it's a pretty great place to start overall aside from surface caves not generating at all unless they're dungeon specific ones so there's no way to get plant matter for bandages on the surface aside from farming.[DOUBLEPOST=1409544996][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I believe the overall intent is to have outposts sell materials and buy pretty much everything you can produce, whether that's weapons you find in dungeon chests or farmed stuff or other materials. That does leave the issue of having to dig straight down for 30 minutes straight to get to core fragment ores before you can fix up your ship a bit so you can go there, but i wouldn't really know how to solve that one beyond generating a massive world hole in these biomes that goes straight down or giving you a massive load of some sort of mining explosive at the start if you just didn't want to be bothered with digging any past getting a copper pickaxe for the ores.

imo the realest issue with the digging overall atm is that you are having to dig through and ignore gold/platinum/etc. that you can't even harvest to get to core fragment ores because you can't make the silver pickaxe to get the gold drill to get the platinum drill etc. right now. It'd be a lot less painful with those.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  20. NeoFoxx000

NeoFoxx000 Phantasmal Quasar

Doing some skimming around the files, the trees (in general) and made up of three parts and one of those parts can be separated into two sub-parts (or four parts total if viewed individually) - The stem (base and middle), the branches, and the crown.

From what I understand the saplings from the both the branch and the crown portions of the tree and the logs drop from the stem.

However, the pine trees (and palm trees for that matter) only consist of the stem and crown, thus yielding only one sapling, which is quite the shame since both pine and palm are within my top my favorite trees I've currently encountered.

The only way I can think of fixing this is increasing the amount of saplings the crown portion of the tree drops. Maybe to two saplings instead of just one. >_>