August 27th - Still at it!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Nupe. :p
    However, several things set to be released after progenitor was done (Novakids, mainly) have been released, which means that that isn't such a rigid system, or it's just off entirely.

2. Rissquette

Rissquette Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yes, they said that Progenitor would be the shortest part of the beta... I wonder what exactly that means for Starbounds official release date.

3. Type1Ninja

That, in particular, is void/null, I think. :p
    I think they may just power through straight to 1.0, and it'll just be "progenitor" the whole time.

4. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

So, should I expect a face-hugger to lay it's eggs and soon after a brand spanking new fullfledged Starbound will burst out of my chest and I-don't-know-where-I'm-going-with-this-analogy-anymore-so-I'll-shut-up-now...

Type1Ninja likes this.
  5. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

6. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

I feel like stage one was supposed ot be the longest.

7. Ixmore

Ixmore Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I thought Chucklefish wasn't doing the stages anymore, however, that did say stage one was gonna move at a breakneck speed (really slow)

8. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

To be fair they are moving from feature to feature at a rather fast pace.
    I don't know how complete each of them are though.

9. dwillia8

dwillia8 Void-Bound Voyager

whens the next update?

10. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Last night.

11. Type1Ninja

Or this morning. It depends on your time zone. I'm not really sure, but I tend to update at 8:00 AM. :p

12. dwillia8

dwillia8 Void-Bound Voyager

sorry meant like when is the next big update that will include the cool stuff the developers have been working on? Like with the new race and cooler ships and stuff? Also are there gonna be more quests??

13. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

That's what I meant too. If I gave a shit about the novakids I would've been riding a spacetrain weeks ago.

14. KazeSkyfox

KazeSkyfox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

PvP always has gaps like that though, and it isn't going to be fixed with dev tweaks. Only way to have a fair PvP experience is for the community to be helpful to new players, which most of the time it is not. I never see the kind of nastiness toward new people in anything else, people are usually helpful when it comes to sports or gym workouts, or art or music, but video games? Even skills associated with video games like programming can have a dickish sort of userbase - this isn't always the case, but I've seen it enough. This is the main reason why I hate PvP in games actually, because the majority are always way too mean about it.

15. Nimeni

Nimeni Big Damn Hero

The way you are deflecting a real question(and down to earth meaning)...it's really beautiful! awwwwwww....

16. Rissquette

Rissquette Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think by now it is probably null and void.
    http://playstarbound.com/how-the-beta-is-going-to-work/
    But yes, development is going ssssssssllllllllllllllloooooooooooooowwwwwllllllyyyyyy, but to say, "I wish they would hurry up." isn't necessarily a fair thing to say as I don't know exactly is going on over at Chucklefish.

Breakneck speed, or at least according to popular American culture, means very fast. Perhaps it does mean the opposite of what I thought it said, but Tiy does say,

"Stage 1 will be move at a breakneck speed. This will be the buggiest and busiest stage of the beta. A bunch of unfinished features will be disabled whilst we finish them up. Updates will come thick and fast, sometimes as often as multiple updates a day."

It could also mean the updates will come fast, but that period of the beta will be the longest. Who knows. All I know is there has not been an extremely substantial update for quite a while. I haven't really been following the game a whole lot since last April because of this, so maybe they have changed a lot.

Also, I looked in Starbound because someone said Novakids were now available, but I didn't seem them in the create a character section. Bug maybe? Or are they not available yet?

*EDIT: I had another thought, maybe, since updates aren't coming as frequently as before, it actually means we're out of Progenitor and on to the second or third stage of the beta?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  17. Type1Ninja

I think the thick and fast updates are part of the nightlies. :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  18. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Fast is right. Thickness varies, but I'll accept it.

19. ODSTNICK

ODSTNICK Big Damn Hero

20. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

No, of course not. I'm just directing to to a more appropriate subforum.