August 22 - Adding skies to outposts

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, Aug 23, 2014.

1. hirakhos

hirakhos Phantasmal Quasar

I'm really glad for this. I really didn't want to just stars in outposts, would make my feel like I was standing randomly in the middle of space. (Which is a bit existential)
    This makes me very happy, and it's a bunch of pretty colours too, the art in Starbound is fantastic.
    Thank you. Though, maybe you will stick with the stars and this is only showing off.
    In that case I'll mod it in myself I think.

Titanium likes this.
  2. Jabberwok

Jabberwok Phantasmal Quasar

It seems weird to me that anything that is not a planet would have an atmosphere. Even if an outpost has an artificial one, still strikes me as odd. But yeah, the sun disappearing instead of setting is really strange. If it's not a sun, it still looks an awful lot like one.

3. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

Agreed, Everyone seems to be confused since he decided to show a gate. But that was what I got to, that it allowed them to add custom skys to any planet and just decided to use an Gate to show off that even though it is not a planet it can have skys. @OmnipotentEntity might need to clear it up a bit since it seems people are missing that. X3

OmnipotentEntity likes this.
  4. Resonant Frequency

Resonant Frequency Void-Bound Voyager

This is really cool and all, but once I noticed the three little buttons below the middle of the hotbar, I couldn't focus any more :rofl:

5. linkthegamer

The slots for the matter manipulator, wire gun, and paint gun?

6. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

I added the wire and paint gun to my inventory already, they are probably not installed yet. But the thing is that the paint gun and wire gun haven't really been that as important as the matter manipulator (one for putting buttons and switches, and another to change colors of stuff). This could mean one of two things

• They have a more important role (For the wire tool, i could see something like using it to fix and reactive other electronics or track wire back to other machines to turn them on. Maybe have a mission where you'd fix a ship or abandoned base to turn on the power by routing the power throughout the base, like a puzzle). The paint tool.....eh...i'm not sure, maybe just to have it in the inventory????
    • Or there are 2 more tools that haven't been revealed yet and that would serve as big a purpose as the MM.

7. linkthegamer

Maybe, I need to look back but I believe it is mainly so you don't have the building tools clogging up your inventory and they are easier to access. I don't think they have been installed yet since the Matter Manipulator is not given by the AI with a new "Item Get" screen. But we will see. Be neat to see some wire puzzle dungeons. I did like the ones people did with redstone in minecraft.

8. Katallo

Katallo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've noticed this for a long time coming now but is the sun supposed to be practically transparent? I mean, it's a big glowing ball of gas lighting up a whole section of a world. I woulda thought it'd be more - glowy.

9. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

Now i'm not really sure how chucklefish has setup the skyground, but wouldn't the transparency be because the sun is actually part of the skyground and the transition between night and day is base on the time circulation rather than the placement of the sun.

If thats the case, perhaps if the sun were a seperate entity on each planet and it just revolved around the background,\they could make a glowing object of the sun that lights up the area on its own as it passes by. Somwhat like a large revolving version of the light coding for the flashlight. As it comes up, it lights up the hue of the sky, blocking out the stars, when it goes down the stars slowly reappear.

As a bonus, if there is a moon, it also shines with a more luminating feel, like flashing light through trees and holes in the forgoround, providing natural light above the surface at night

10. Many Ninjas

Many Ninjas Orbital Explorer

I don't understand how a sky background makes sense in this scenario. I always assumed the Stargates were on some sort of lone asteroid floating in space, why would a Stargate have an atmosphere, it's not a planet? I really don't see how anything other than a dark space background makes sense for the Stargates.

11. linkthegamer

I think it is just where they chose to show it off, not the final location. Might just be because stargates and outpost are the only 2 floating type planets that exist in the game at the moment is my guess.

12. clasgutr

clasgutr Void-Bound Voyager

because it is being obscured by the earth's atmosphere. In the demonstration, nothing obscures the star, and it's light just disappears out of nowhere

13. Kaky0

Kaky0 Poptop Tamer

It looks sort of etheral, but can I listen to Circle of Life while overlooking the cliff?

Titanium likes this.
  14. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

You know, not every asteroid in space is going to be floating in a gasless void.

The very idea of an asteroid with a sort of atmosphere is honestly pretty beautiful to me.

15. Entomoligist

Entomoligist Big Damn Hero

Here's the thing though... (and I'm sorry if anyone else posted this first.)
    The outpost gate shouldn't have a day/night cycle, mainly because it is a chunk floating in space, no atmosphere, which means no day or night.
    I like the concept, but It just doesn't make sense.

Also, I'm not sure if you guys had noted this before, but I've also noticed that since it's in space, you probably should make it without oxygen....
    It just seems like the gate is a little too good in shape. Since the gate is supposed to be really old, then why not make it appear ALMOST completely destroyed, just working enough to use it? In space, radiation, asteroids, and other dangers would have surely wrecked that place, almost to a state where it's unusable?
    :geek::coffee:

16. maga

maga Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Will there be more than one outpost? I really love those props and furniture from the screenies.

17. aveleron

aveleron Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Looks cool. what's with the missing eighth slot on the arches, is there going to be a new character type soon, having all the races accounted for, then that one empty slot on both sides, maybe a hidden race? only time will tell.

18. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

This again?

blackshadow2000 and Type1Ninja like this.
  19. bayley

bayley Cosmic Narwhal

my god, THE TENTICALES ARE DESTROYING THE SUN![DOUBLEPOST=1408884988][/DOUBLEPOST]
    the truth for how Santa gets everywhere.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  20. nerfcrazy5

nerfcrazy5 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I liked it when it was just space... but still looks cool!