August 22 - Adding skies to outposts

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

Kind of weird how the sun just fades out of existence, though.

2. willpill35

willpill35 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Question: Will we be able to dissasemble those gates and rebuild them on our home worlds? Or will we be able to build something similar that lets us achieve the same effect?

P.S.
    O and they sky thing is nice. ;)

3. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

i kinda like it more when it was flouting in space
    but maybe you got an idea on where its going:geek:

Proydoha likes this.
  4. DevGru

DevGru Master Chief

Just wondering, will there be any minor updates before the big 1.0?

5. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

Naw it is just short for manual pages. Long pages fill with syntex notations and details on various switches/modifiers for the command. Also likely in the most technical terms possible. Though "Man Pages" sound far more interesting.

I myself personally doubt it since people might mistake it for the "big one" and get really upset.

6. meepgofish

meepgofish Void-Bound Voyager

I guess it is cool that you're adding a sky to the gates and outposts but aren't the gates and outposts on very small asteroid meaning it would have no sky or atmosphere?

7. Zael

Zael Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wicked awesome! Every gamedev team should have their own Omni. <3

8. Shizuyori

Shizuyori Void-Bound Voyager

i want this as a screensaver :D

9. Terrahero

Terrahero Cosmic Narwhal

I think i liked it better without the skies. It really drove the whole feeling of "nowhere in space" home. Here you stand, seemingly no where in particular, infront of a mysterious doorway. Kinda your only option, you take the leap.

And the space background, it had really gave me that feeling of being so insignificant and lost.

10. Leak

Leak Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yeah - it should just go nova at the end and engulf the outpost to add some sense of urgency... :)

OmegaMinion likes this.
  11. Antony

Antony Void-Bound Voyager

Looks nice, but confuse one thing - the disappearance of "sun"

12. PoroCYon

PoroCYon Void-Bound Voyager

Looks great, but I have one small question though...

What happens if you jump off the platform?

13. Razza999

Razza999 Void-Bound Voyager

In my view the planet in the background with it's moon should still be faintly visible during the day, for example you can still see our moon in daylight sometimes at optimal times. Also it would be cool if the stars created a thick line representing the galaxy the solar system you are in.

As for the the day and night cycle you've got the colour change just right just needs more extra dimensions to flesh out that there is a sense of passing time.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK Y'ALL!!

Calvihern and Cowboy Bebop like this.
  14. AuBacke2

AuBacke2 Void-Bound Voyager

Idea for improvement: Add starclusters or a "milkyway" into the firmament. That would be awesome !

15. Juriel

Juriel Void-Bound Voyager

The transition from the luminous day and the dark night is way too fast. Also, as others have said, the sun fading in the background is odd. Just make it rotate until that it goes below the horizon and while that it rotates, change the color overlay of the sky progressively.

chubchubrecon likes this.
  16. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

You die. Same thing as if you jump off an asteroid, or if you jump off your ship and somehow weren't invincible (you are invincible in your ship, presumably to help against griefers or other threats).

On a different note, does anybody know what outfit the character is wearing? That looks like a female version of my Minecraft skin and I need to know what it is :rofl:

17. baltosaa

baltosaa Pangalactic Porcupine

So we won't be finding these outposts in space anymore?
    Interesting.

18. face21

face21 Void-Bound Voyager

This seems stupid, why would a asteroid in the depth of space have a night and day cycle its not a planet so it wouldn't have an atmosphere, I just don't see much sense in it, and I'd I actually love to be told why this is cool in any way, Because honest totally ready to download a mod that's reverse it

19. WhiplashIvy

WhiplashIvy Void-Bound Voyager

Okay, because very few people have picked up on this yet;

THIS IS NOT FINAL, AND WILL NOT BE IN THE FINAL GAME. THIS IS A TEST VIDEO FOR A NEW FEATURE.

That new feature is adding a custom sky to floating worlds (ie. outposts, gates, meteors) as right now they always have a starry sky (for reasons) and will be used mostly to give a custom funky sky to outposts and other unique floating worlds later in the game. Everyone calm down about the quality, because this is just applying the normal sky to a random gate world to test it.

20. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

hmm, i had always imagined the stargates to have something like celestial lights or something with other pieces of floating islands and debris in the background. Heh, maybe even changing the background of the outpost to resemble being in another cosmic void with an image of another galaxy in the background

I don't know, whenever i think of the stargate and outpost, i think something that is ACTUALLY taken out of the cycle in the game's universe instead of being apart of it with the color skyline associated with the planet, which i'd assume would be how the community in the outpost is conformed, why the merchandise is otherworldly, why there is much more streamlined, high tech technology, and why it feels that although the NPC seem to be out of their usual society stereotype (a well dress floran, a battle ready hylotl, etc) but rather representation of other players that could be in the universe