August 19 - The day when all your mods died.

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

There are many things that know no bounds. I've discovered many more since I registered.
    More examples of mods that need no patching: my character extender and the felin intro cinematic.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  2. Wolfie Inu

Wolfie Inu Pangalactic Porcupine

Ah, JSON. So much fun when it works. So terrible when you misplace a comma and everything dies. :rofl:

3. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

That reminds me. I should add a linter to my labs page.

Cos the one I use now doesn't like comments.

Edit: kdone

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  4. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

Better late than never, will require some work to update mods but I think it will be worth it in the end since we can edit arrays safely now : p

Something that would be really useful to me though would be some kind of tool that actually shows you what the new code will look like after applying whatever you did, does anybody know of such a tool?

5. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Ummmyes I linked to one earlier? » http://json-schema-validator.herokuapp.com/jsonpatch.jsp «

ja450n and Archer like this.
  6. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

7. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

ja450n likes this.
  8. Kahzel

Kahzel Big Damn Hero

yay, globally used norms ftw, rfcs ftw
    plus patch procedures are easier to understand.

9. Exsistentiam

Exsistentiam Pangalactic Porcupine

i believe this song will go well with your quote Barlov Monkiss

10. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

So how long do we have until D-Day here? I'm sure most modders should have enough time to update their files.

Anyways, good work!
    :up:

11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Pretty much. Time to learn how is another problem entirely, though ;)

12. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

I'm sure that won't be too big of an issue with the example that omni provided earlier.

13. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

That's assuming they'll see and comprehend the example. :D

14. Noranum

Noranum Phantasmal Quasar

Okay... please make it clear for some full-time-idiot like me.

Mods are broken sometime soon. I'm going to be honest: Without mods, I wouldn't play the game at all. So if I want to keep them, I'll have to do some dark coding magic all by myself? With un-packing and re-packing and rewriting every single file? Great. That will be some work, because I'm running ~150 mods, and only a few of them will get an update from their creators...
    Okay. Got that.

The question, Mr. Noob van Stupidson (aka: Me) would like to ask: Why? Was the old system bad or broken?

15. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

It's ok, man; I sympathize! I can't handle Minecraft without mods... It's really not a very good game on it's own. :rofl:
    As soon as you add bukkit, mods, or even multiplayer, though, it's better.
    So, rest assured that others undergo your plight with every major update to every major game.

Noranum likes this.
  16. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Pull up a chair, Noob van Stupidson, cos I'mma lay it down for you.

» Mods are broken sometime soon.
    As far as nightlies are concerned, they already are.

» I'll have to do some dark coding magic all by myself?
    No, that's up to the authors.

» because I'm running ~150 mods
    You have issues, buddy. o_O

» and only a few of them will get an update from their creators...
    Lots of issues. If you're right, then those mods would be unsupported (in the "no more updates" sense) and as such shouldn't be used -- the longer since, the shouldn't-er.
    But there's a flipside: there's plenty kinds of mods, like purely visual changes, that don't use __merge and as such don't need conversion to JSON Patch. Some others like extra items may need at least a new player.config... well, player.config.patch, I guess. Which can be as simple as this:
    Code:
    [
      { "op" : "add", "path" : "/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-", "value" : { "item" : "newitem1" } },
      { "op" : "add", "path" : "/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-", "value" : { "item" : "newitem2" } }
    ]
    » Why? Was the old system bad or broken?
    There were things, certain data structures, that __merge can't work with. JSON Patch can work with these structures and is a straight-up standard with lots of documentation and tools, if you care to find them.

Leak likes this.
  17. Noranum

Okay. Thanks for telling me. <3
    It seems to be nothing more than putting all those "__merge" lines in there...

And yes, I have some real issues with mods, because I just want everything too be as much my taste as possible (because I'm too stupid to do it myself). To be honest, that's more or less the reason for me playing those sandbox games at all. Everything could be altered, if you know how. Or know someone who knows how.

And... I know that it may be up to the authors. But, hey, let's face it: Some people are gone. Some nice mods didn't see an update for months, but I don't want to miss them. So I'm tinkering around until they are working again for me.
    And yes, I'm one of those snobs who stop playing a game when their favourite mod get's abandoned, because for me, modding is a very important part of those games.

18. Type1Ninja

That's not snobbish, that's addiction. ;)
    I went through withdrawals when MC's 1.7 hit and nothing but TMI was able to update for months. ;)

Kawa likes this.
  19. Noranum

That was the time when I stopped playing MC. I'm still "working" as some kind of Beta tester for them, but I'm not going to play it as intensive as I was used to, because... vanilla MC has not that much to offer, if you're not into redstone. And I am not into redstone.

Well.
    Since my problem is solved now, I'm going to look forward to the coming updates. Thank you all. <3

20. Type1Ninja

Yeah. I have literally been playing 1.6.4 more or less since that update came out - all my favorite mods were at a nice place there. I've reached modded heaven - that is, a frozen pack. :rainbow:

EDIT: On Topic:
    No omni! Not my precious mods! The (aforementioned) withdrawals!

Kawa likes this.