1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

ATTN: Windows XP users who cannot play "CF splash screen freeze"

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DotBeta, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Zero_Starlight

Zero_Starlight Void-Bound Voyager

Not sure if this is an earlier update from today or if this is tonight's update, but Steam is currently downloading a 571.9MB update for Starbound. I'll report in when it finishes and let you all know if the game starts up or not. Fingers crossed!

2. ASInisterIon

ASInisterIon Void-Bound Voyager

I'm assuming it didn't work? :eek:

3. Zero_Starlight

Not on it's own, but I'm now getting proper crash errors, and I'm testing the workaround as I type this, and I'll report back in a bit if it loads past the loading b- Alright, got an access violation, going to try again and this time set the priority this time as well.

4. Zero_Starlight

Nope, not working for me unfortunately, but it's obviously getting better very quickly.

5. That was yesterdays update, the 12/6 update fixing the problem will be out later tonight.

Zero_Starlight, Milavelo and Colton like this.
  6. Milavelo

Milavelo Big Damn Hero

Zero_Starlight likes this.
  7. Eradrann

Eradrann Void-Bound Voyager

For the heck of it, tried again tonight using that affinity 0 thing. It worked! This was like my 7th try though, so I still think it's pure coincidence. However I cant join my friend's server at all. no idea why.

8. Zero_Starlight

Bad news for those waiting on a patch tonight, looks like we're waiting until midday tommorow as the developers don't want to risk introducing new bugs and then going to bed.

9. I know how you feel, I've played for a bit on my laptop but I can't wait to play on my actual rig in my comfy chair without interruption :). I didn't experience any crashes playing for the half hour or so I played with the work around but it lagged pretty bad, i hope that had something to do with the issue and this update streamlines it a bit since we can use all our cores.

10. Eradrann

That lasted 42 minutes! It was slow though, running at half FPS or less. I also had to try 3-5 times to beam down before it worked. Eventually crashed after I mined some cobble.

11. ancientterror

ancientterror Poptop Tamer

Thank you so much ArchonLyra! ive had a bad few days since starbound wasn't working, but your solution worked perfectly! again, thank you!

also i might add, that using this fix sleeping in a bed will crash the game

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  12. Zatecky

Zatecky Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I can no longer tolerate, ate all the bananas to install Windws 7. Woooooooo :chucklefish:

13. Drakon ︻デ═一

Drakon ︻デ═一 Yeah, You!

If only it was free, it is expensive u know.

14. Drakon ︻デ═一

Drakon ︻デ═一 Yeah, You!

If only it was free, it is expensive u know.

15. Shelltoucher

Shelltoucher Void-Bound Voyager

Specs:
    Windows XP SP3
    NVidia Geforce 9600 GT 1024 MB
    AMD Phenom 8650 Triple-Core Processor, MMX, 3DNow (3 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
    3328MB RAM
    DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Two days ago it froze while launching (even after letting it try for 60 minutes).

Today, after patching some ~500mb update, after clicking to launch the game, the Chucklefish animation runs and then it crashes right away.

Error
    Access violation detected at 0x77c13509 (Read of adress 0)

Stack Trace
    Stack Trace...
    007D25B0 (C:/starbound/source/core/StarSignalHandler_windows.cpp:16)
    77C13509
    77C13C1B
    77C13C60
    00B6193F
    7C90E920

Microsoft C++ Runtime Library
    Runtime Error!
    Program: ...mas\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32\starbound.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

WonderButtah likes this.
  16. Eradrann

Got it working again this morning. Then it just closed itself without any errors. Bit odd. Tried about 12 times to start it again, but I can't. Same thing yesterday. It seems to work once per PC restart.
    I was moving an tiem around in my inventory whilst in bed when I crashed. But I was able to sleep for a good few seconds with no issues until then.

Wow, been trying to psot this message for hours but the forum's been down for so long.
    Tried a few more times, still cant get it working today.

Oh the forums are STILL down...

17. Jod

Jod Orbital Explorer

C++ logs don't show your folders, they usually show dev folders where the source was compiled from and are the most valuable source of info for devs because in most cases they pinpoint the code line the crash originated from, or at least the general area to look at. So any .cpp or .h file references could be really helpful, don't throw those away.

18. KamiAmaya

KamiAmaya Void-Bound Voyager

Same here. I had the game open for close to 10 hours, played almost that long but it was sooo laggy. Then, finally, it wigged out on me. I kept trying to beam down but I just teleported back to the ship over and over. Then the game window shrunk and it flashed all kinds of pretty colors before completely closing, no error messages at all.
    I'm going to assume my progress was lost. :cry:

Can't get it to start up again, but honestly I don't want to play with that lag anyways >_<

19. Does anyone know if the update is live? I just got home, and haven't seen an update.

20. iibcddccs

iibcddccs Big Damn Hero

i don't think so... I haven't heard anything in a while about the update.