1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

ATTN: Windows XP users who cannot play "CF splash screen freeze"

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DotBeta, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Denholme

Denholme Space Hobo

Right then. Rebooted PC, launched Starbound first thing after reboot with all the affinity thingamajigs, game runs fine so far. It's choppy at times but playable. Beamed down to the planet, harvested a potato or something.

Attached Files:

ArchonLyra likes this.
  2. senritsu

senritsu Seal Broken

Working for me too, and when I turn on both - 0 and 1 it still working. I think this will help bartwe and we will be closer to fix:D

ArchonLyra likes this.
  3. Eradrann

Eradrann Void-Bound Voyager

Just updated!

I got the "Access violation detected at 0x77c33509 (Read of address 0)" error that someone else posted.
    It was SO NICE to get past the Chucklefish logo though, even If I can't get past the loading bar.

Oh and a Stack Trace error.
    The path listed in that is totally wrong. I do not have a Starbound folder on my C drive, it's on my E drive and in my Steam folder.
    And now I have another error popup...

That path on that file is correct this time. I can't click "OK" on it though as it seems the error has crashed...

EDIT: Safe mode yeilds the exact same results.

4. ArchonLyra

ArchonLyra Void-Bound Voyager

I posted a possible workaround a few posts up, give it a shot!

5. Ghift

Ghift Yeah, You!

[​IMG]

This is the error from going down to a planet using the workaround.

Using the regular version and it took me a hell of a lot of tries to get it working in general.

6. ArchonLyra

It's not guaranteed to work, unfortunately. I'm glad it's working for some but didn't expect it to work for all. I know the devs are continuing to grind away on it and will get us in there as soon as they can.

7. I have tweeted a link of this thread to Bartwe this morning in hopes that he will see our error codes, stack traces and get an idea of what's going on, please post your errors and stacktraces.

I just tried it on my rig this morning and am getting the crash message too. At least we're past the trolololfish screen! My error

Access violation0x77c33509 (Read of address 0)

Stack trace: "C:Starbound is not the correct location of my folder."

077D45B0
    77C33509
    77C33C60
    00B6193F
    7C90E920

I'll be trying to set core to affinity 0 and reply with any changes.

8. WWarrior

WWarrior Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah, I set it to affinity zero, and the only difference was two more seconds until the errors popped up. In case anyone really wanted to know.

ArchonLyra likes this.
  9. I set core afffinity to 0 in taskmanager as ArchonLyra explained...

[​IMG]

I am now standing in my ship but am afraid to beam down in case it crashes!!! But I'm so happy to actually get into the game! I dd nothing different except setting the core affinity.

Updating OP with the work around, we're getting closer guys!!!

ArchonLyra likes this.
  10. ArchonLyra

It's a start!

In other fantastic news, Bartwe just posted on his twitter "We just got a lot closer to fixing the winxp issue :)" He didn't specify why, and I don't really care how or why, I'm just happy to hear it!

DotBeta likes this.
  11. Eradrann

I changed the affinity of the launcher which made the game start up in the same affinity, that was conveniant. The priority had gone down to average though instead of the usual default high, so I brought it back up to high. Waited a bit and then got the exact same error. There was no difference. I get the feeling this "fix" doesn't help at all, and that coincidence has just made it look like it does.

Tried it again without the "fix" and instead of waiting a minute for the error, it happened instantly. Not even get the logo anymore...

EDIT: tried the "fix" a few more times, this time it makes 0 difference.

12. ArchonLyra

Yeah, it's worked for some, sort of worked for others and not worked at all for still others. The good news is bartwe is making some awesome progress on a true fix for us. :D

13. I just attempted to touch down to my planet and it did not crash, I am getting random fps drops though, I'm assuming it's because it's running on one core and it's still buggy, I looped 3 times trying to beam from my ship down to the surface, but it beamed me back into my ship haha.

As it sits it's still unplayable for me. The important thing is we will hopefully have our fix today!

Heartstrings likes this.
  14. Pingeh

Pingeh Pangalactic Porcupine

Holy crap. The cpu affinity thing worked perfect. Was able to beam down after a few tries (it kept beaming me into my own ship..), there was a bit of lag but its very playable. Bit of lag loading up new stuff though.

DotBeta and ArchonLyra like this.
  15. Eradrann

If it helps the devs to know, I have a single hyper-threaded core. Wondering if this method is working for those who actually have more than one core, and not the single corers.

16. Pingeh

Pingeh Pangalactic Porcupine

Damn. After playing well for a bit I randomly got hit with the access violation and etc errors, now it won't work at all no matter what I do. :(

17. ArchonLyra

Aww, hang in there Pingeh! Maybe tonight. :D

Pingeh likes this.
  18. Denholme

Denholme Space Hobo

Try rebooting. Sometimes the game starts without an issue then. Another time I had to launch it three times before it worked. It's definitely more of a patient man's workaround and in no way a perfect one.

Pingeh likes this.
  19. After playing for half an hour now the fps drops have gotten the best of me. I have a big feeling its related to the stability problem and not so much hardware because I have sudden spurts of normal framerates then they drop again. I set priority to high, affinity to core 0 and my resolution all the way down on full screen and it still lags.

It's better than nothing though for now.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  20. Tiy has updated the main page with info on the XP problem:

http://playstarbound.com/coming-tonight-6-december/

- Major work has gone into making the game work correctly onto windows XP (done, needs testing)

Looks like it's been fixed and ready for testing! I hope the update goes live sooner than later.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    Colton and Pingeh like this.