1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Assistance with wiring

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Higgls, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Higgls

Higgls Intergalactic Tourist

Hey, I've been dabbling with wiring a little lately and I'm currently trying to set up a secret passage. I'm using a Glitch Bookcase Switch, several doors and a Small Wall Switch. I was wondering if there is a way to link it all together so that once you activate the bookcase, you can walk through, pull the switch and close the secret doors and deactivate the bookcase all at once, any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

Link both switches to XOR switch, which in turn would be activating doors themselves.

3. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

the problem with that is that the bookcase wont "reset" the way OP wants. ive never used it before, but im assuming that the bookcase switch looks different visually when in on or off modes.

4. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

If that's really what OP wants, then the only way to change that is to switch bookcase back manually, as it doesn't have any inputs and thus isn't influenced by other circuit.

5. Mariel141

Mariel141 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yeah, I tried to do a similar thing and ran into the same problem. You can get the door to open and close from either side, but as far as the bookcase goes, you'll just need to reset it from the other side before the next time you activate it. (Basically just activate twice, once to reset, once to open the doors again). This is because switches like the bookshelf only have an output, no input. There are other kinds of switches available that have both out and input, but sadly I don't think any of them look like bookcases.

6. Higgls

They do have differences when activated, which was the problem, it's a shame it won't reset that way

7. Higgls

Which points would I link? for the life of me i can't figure out the wiring, no matter how simple

8. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

XOR has two blue nodes (inputs) and one red (output); connect switches outputs to XOR's inputs and output to doors.

9. Higgls

If I've got this right... i would have to activate the bookcase, run through and pull the switch, then run back and use the bookcase, run back and pull the switch again for it to close behind me?

[​IMG]

10. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

No, each switch needs to be wired to a different input (ie left switch wired to top input, right switch wired to bottom input)

11. Higgls

That seems to close the doors once the switch is flipped, but it was mentioned about activating the bookcase twice and then pulling the switch in order for the secret doors to be closed and the bookcase to be deactivated, how exactly would i achieve that? extra gates or just rewiring everything?

12. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

Fine, try this:

20170125055812_1.png

Bookcase is connected to switch (simple wall switch), which, in turn, is connected alongside lever inside to XOR gate, which powers the doors. Since wall switch acts like a T flip-flop (read: changes its state every time it gets powered), you can activate bookcase twice to reset it (you need only to activate it once to send charge, but this setup allows you to deactivate the switch and thus set it to default state without closing doors).

And yes, it is important to connect outputs to separate inputs inside XOR gate, because this operation needs two inputs to work.

Higgls likes this.
  13. Higgls

Just got round to trying it out now, it's a great solution, thank you, works perfectly for what i was trying to do