1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Are there plans for the NPCs to be able to use buttons?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Kethus, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Kethus

Kethus Subatomic Cosmonaut

In the nightly Hylotl underwater cities there are doors with buttons and since the NPCs can't use them they just stare at the doors. Is that to block them from entering other buildings, or are they meant to be able to use buttons at some point? I'm not talking about the airlocks, there are doors with buttons inside the cities.

2. Thalant

Thalant Zero Gravity Genie

Are you sure they can't? My tenants at least press use every button, every switch and every lever they come by. It's almost annoying, actually.
    Anyway, if that's the case, giving how fast they are making advances with the Hylotl cities, they'll surely fix it.

3. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

I know for a fact that my tenants have used buttons and levers in the past. They could use most buttons and levers (but not all).

At the time i hade to swap out the lever for my airlock (underwater city) to prevent the tenants from playing around with it.

However that was quite some time ago and may have been changed since then.

4. KatherineOfSky

KatherineOfSky Big Damn Hero

My tenants also use buttons... which is annoying because I want them to stay in their apartments.

5. MindExplorer

MindExplorer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ever thought about placing the buttons OUTSIDE their rooms?

1. The random NPC scripts are totally different from the tenant scripts
    2. I never saw even one of my over 20 tenants ever using a switch outside their room.

Hope, this sheds some light on this. ;)

6. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

No you get issues with deprivation of liberty and fire protection if you do so.

7. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

buttons... hmm... I dread the thought of tnt or something like that being hooked up to one... ><

8. KatherineOfSky

KatherineOfSky Big Damn Hero

The problem with this solution is that you cannot press the button when you are on the inside of the door. (The door opens and closes far too quickly to collect rent. It REQUIRES a button on the inside of the door). Note I am talking about BUTTONS, not switches...

9. MindExplorer

MindExplorer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You do know that you actually can wire it to a DELAY, don't you?
    You even can wire it to a chain of delays, with up to 5 seconds delay each. ;)

Have a nice day.

EDIT:
    You can have a look at the Basic Wiring Guide and the Advanced one, too.
    (Took me some minutes to find them.)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016