1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Archive of older versions?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tux1342, Jul 30, 2015.

1. 1nfinitezer0

1nfinitezer0 Cosmic Narwhal

welp, you're entitled to your opinion ;)
    but just because I enjoyed things as they were, doesn't mean I'm a revisionist.

2. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I don't think I ever insinuated that you were one, so...

3. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

Lies and slander

More lies and more slander. There's a difference between wanting some cool things that were in the game in the past versus deleting all progress.

Funny part is, I don't think I've ever said anything rude to this guy.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  4. Mackinz

MechE, it's not "lies and slander" when I can quote you wanting the return of pretty much everything that was changed between Enraged Koala and Upbeat Giraffe. I've seen you ask for sectors, hunger, temperature, old weapon tiering, coal as fuel, random biomes on each planet, and so, so, so much more... such that considering my words "lies and slander" is in itself lies and slander.

But let's not dwell on that. I linked to a Reddit thread earlier. The person who made that thread plays Enraged Koala with his/her friends. In order to do so, they have the assets of Enraged Koala stored away. I'm sure if you contacted them, you could obtain your own copy of Enraged Koala Starbound to play with and experiment upon. Once you've experienced it yourself, perhaps you'll develop different opinions on which version had cooler features.

5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Did you ever play it? Do you know what it was like before? Videos mean nothing if youve never actually experienced it. Save for temperature (Hunger can go to hell), I feel the game is leagues better than it used to be.

To each their opinion, sure, but the opinion of one who has never experienced something doesn't hold much weight compared to those that have.

Mackinz likes this.
  6. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Temperature wasn't even any good, bluntly, because there was only "too cold freeze to death". That was the sum total of the system. Too cold, freeze to death.

There were no status changes when too cold, just that on-off switch of "start losing HP fast or don't". Temperature didn't actually account for heat: you could walk around in super-heated clothing on volcanic worlds and desert worlds all hunky-dory, no issues. And it didn't take long to make protective armor that eliminated the cold issue WITHOUT sacrificing actual armor durability.

Can't say I'm feeling that loss.

7. lazarus78

Maybe I remember it incorrectly. I remember that you would slow down and your screen would "fog" up.

It wasnt a perfect system, I would love to see it return with actual heat as well, but that's just me.

8. Mackinz

I'm pretty sure that's what happens in Stable now if you visit a firey world without proper nanosuit. Could also be swatelites temperature mod. Definitely not Enraged Koala.

9. lazarus78

Well now its just instant damage. Not quite the same thing. No possabilitiy of a safe zone to keep you warm, etc.

10. haynesy566

haynesy566 Heliosphere

I wish I had popcorn, that'd make reading the comments so much more fun :giggle::rofl:

11. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

You didn't slow down. The screen went white then you died like three seconds later as your health drained to nothing at speed. It was the same as hunger's on-off status only with a whitescreen effect.

I went through that a lot when building my satellite in the old build, placing radiators so their effect areas overlapped. Which meant I went from totally warm to absolute zero within a tile. Kinda crappy system.

That said, there was "breath steam" effect you barely saw before the screen obscured. I wouldn't mind seeing that all the time on cold worlds even without the temp system.

Mackinz likes this.