1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else disappointed that they lightened the story?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Knight9910, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Knight9910

Knight9910 Existential Complex

Yes, yes, I know technically there wasn't a story in Early Access, but... well, yeah, there kinda was. And I don't know how many of you played it, but it was really cynical.

Every race in the game had some massive flaw. The Apex were totally under the thumb of the Miniknog, with a feeble and worthless Resistance that was on the verge of annihilation. The Avians were religious nutcases who forced people to "sacrifice" themselves and then refused to even bury them because they didn't magically morph into angels mid-fall and were therefore "unworthy." The Florans were murder-monsters that ravaged the universe, picking planets clean of all life in the name of their "hunts" and actively despised the very concept of intellect. The Glitch were idiots literally incapable of progress or sentience, and the few who managed to become self-aware were rounded up and burned as witches. The Humans were total morons who were subtly implied to have either created or unwittingly brought on the tentacle monsters that killed them. The Hylotl were judgmental and pompous to the point of basically wanting to genocide the Florans.

More than that, it was implied that all of this stuff was all the work of a single entity which had infiltrated and taken over every race in the game, manipulating them all for its own ends... Kluex, Big Ape, every villain from every race was all this same entity or organization working behind the scenes to control the universe, like an intergalactic Illuminati.

And then came the full release.

Now every race is basically just fine the way they are. The Avians and Hylotl are much nicer, and even the Apex are a bit better - the Miniknog are still jerks, but it's implied that the Resistance is winning rather than the other way around. Of course, the Humans have become the Mary Sues of the universe, being absolutely perfect forces of righteousness. It's all love and puppy dogs and rainbows of enlightenment, and the only villains are nebulous space racists and their pet Shuma-Gorath expy.

It's a bit dumbed down, but the most disappointing part to me is the removal of the concept of fighting against the ills of society. The way the story was implied to be during Early Access would have seen the player character as an actual hero - the kind who actually makes things better. The hero of full release Starbound is the useless but inoffensive sort of hero that all too often crops up in games and stories - the kind that saves the world, but doesn't actually change the world. Yes, you've defeated the Ruin and stopped the end of the universe as we know it... but it's still a universe full of arrogance, greed, gluttony, lust, apathy, hate, and envy. All you've really managed to do is uphold the status quo.

2. Lemony Shtickit

Lemony Shtickit Big Damn Hero

3. baltosaa

baltosaa Pangalactic Porcupine

I agree with you here.

I don't find the new story to be all that bad, personally. It's not amazing, and yes, it is as others have put it: Generic Hero defeats Generic Monster huzzah!!

But I do miss the lore from the older versions.

The codexes were so good, so mysterious..

I'm super disappointed about this. I'm hoping some modder will eventually add the codexes back in one day.

Although me and a few others seem to remember it being said that the old lore has been removed temporarily so that they can redo it to fit more with what we have now.

Although no one can find links or screenshots of any of that being said. (But I swear I remember something of that sort.)

So there may be hope.

Maybe...

I really hope so.

4. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I've said it before, but I want to see a combination of the new and old story. I don't mind the new story arc in theory, but it would benefit from the old setting a lot more. And with the right storytelling and use of missions, it could be a hell of a lot more engaging than saving an apathetic universe that barely reacts to the danger it faces.

5. Kilowolf

Kilowolf Big Damn Hero

I liked that small stories from early in the dev cycle. Running from the destruction of your home world has the humans, being one of the grounded with the Avian, being an exile from the Glitch and so on. I miss the little bit of depth it gave you. You could get your story meaning and background. Now everyone is just a protector =/

6. TheCreeperCyborg

TheCreeperCyborg Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i feel that the makerse of this piece of game we call starbound took inspiration from fallout 3 while writing the lore of the apex THINK ABOUT IT game theory time, the miniknog are scientists that preform "playing god"-like expirments on there own rae, just like the enclave, (hint hint made a super mutant) and they use a hight tech "power" armour if you will, ontop of that, there glorious leader turned out to be nothing more thaN A COMPUTER PROGRAM *mindblown*. -written and scripted by @matpat

7. Jonesy

Their primary inspiration has always been 1984. The IngSoc party uses identical methods of oppression and propaganda, not to mention naming conventions. They have a pervasive figure named Big Brother who is literally the face of the party, but is never proven to exist. Even the design of Apex villages wouldn't look out of place in the 1984 universe.

8. TheCreeperCyborg

well arent you a thunderstorm on an oncoming parade.
    but serieosly look up the lore of the enclave from fallout three, you'll see a lot of similarities your not familiar with. but can we atleast agree that the scorched planets are a referance to fallout

9. Jonesy

I'm not saying your comparisons to Fallout 3 aren't correct. By all means, make whatever comparisons you want. But that doesn't change the fact that 1984 is the main inspiration of Apex culture. This has been known ever since they were announced.

By the way, I have played Fallout 3 several times. I've even played Fallout 2, which marked the Enclave's first appearance in the series. Mind you, I got more of a Mad Max vibe from the scorched planets, but that's not to say it's mutually exclusive from Fallout. Both are highly recognizable as far as post-apocalyptic settings go, so both may well have played a role in the inspiration for those planets.

10. TheCreeperCyborg

mmkay, yeash, well i gotta go sob anyways, i just discovered the youtuber known as milo stewart

also i looked up the IngSoc, thanx for the nightmare worse than pondering on what hitler actually did, and jesus christ that was just a fiction novel

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2016
  11. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

That's not Fallout 3, thats Mass Effect, third installation to be specific. We are part of a intergalactic society of peace, enlightment and advancement, check. Earth gets borked within the first 5 minutes just so we could get our fix of Worf effect, check. Mysteious, unstoppable force of destruction with not really clear motivation, check. Misguided human supremacists, serving BBEG in hopes of harnessing it's power, check. We have to defeat aforementioned force with help of artifacts of some ancient dudes who fell to it before us, check. We run around, collect various crap and assemble our multiracial crackteam, check.

Difference, of course, is that Shepard is a grizzled war hero with formidable expertise and skill set, as well as reputation for doing the impossible, while Starbound protagonist, apparently, is a university graduate, lazy/undisciplined enough to oversleep their own graduation ceremony but clever/lucky enough to be (apparently the only one) survivor of Earth massacre.

Knight9910 and Jonesy like this.
  12. TheCreeperCyborg

i can show you thee storyline of fallout three, the main antagonist, the ennclave, is a scientific high-tech force that has played god with experiments on there own kind, and have been around for over onehundred years, and has a glorious leader that turned out to be nothing more than a comuter, plus they have robots all across there domain spreading propganda

13. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

Eh, I believe Apex are far more 451 Fahrenheit and Brave New World. Plus I don't think that was Big Ape himself, I believe that was some kind of indev superweapon (like a Shockhopper) while the real Big Ape sits in his palace in [REDACTED], sipping banana smothie and wondering whom should he execute today.

14. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Funny, thats the only thing from EA that made it to 1.0. I do wish... old lore with a new story, one without the lame excuse of a protectorate that could not even identify a major threat in the only planet it apparently opperated on.

15. Leotamer

Leotamer Void-Bound Voyager

I think each race should have its negatives, but I also think they should have positives.

I actually like the Apex in this regard. They have an evil dictatorship but they are fighting against it. Though, I also would like to point out that in that story mission where you fight big ape bot, it is applied that they have not won without your direct influence, as you was the one that actually went the underground and opened their defenses up.

Though, a note, I haven't read all of the codexes, but I read a few. From what I understand, the Glitch do still kill the intelligent ones, however they only do that on their homeworld. The ones you see in the game are the ones that fled. And I mean, the florans are still brutul. If you ever build a colony, you will see how many Floran Maneaters there is. And going through the Avian museum, you walk right past a sacrificial altar. It is still implied that Kluex gets his blood.

Though the Hyloti seem to be just characterized by all being otakus and nearly being killed by the Florans.

ArtificialReality and Jonesy like this.
  16. TheCreeperCyborg

if big ape has all that power i think he'd be doing a LOT more than just sipping a smoothie
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

17. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

Mind you, we are PG-13 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

18. Jonesy

Yeah, he'd probably be watching reruns of Numi.

Noobgalaxies, Lintton and Preday like this.
  19. TheCreeperCyborg

mind you, i am an asshole I am the leafyisqueer of the starbound forums

20. Jonesy

I don't know about the rebels being unambiguously good. When I came across one of their camps, it was very heavily militarized. Tank traps, barbed wire, bunkers, guard towers, people walking around in combat armor, the works. Now, that's probably born of necessity given their political and military position, but it does get me wondering if they're going to overthrow an oppressive government and replace it with a highly militarized one. I don't recall anything in the lore that confirms that, so I could be wrong.

Not something to be proud of, mate.

bananastealth likes this.