WIP Animal Breeding Mod

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Axelius, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Zhuria

Zhuria Cosmic Narwhal

I love you.

If you ever get all of the livestock done and consider making horses into breedable livestock, I will marry you and bear your children. haha

• LadyHugeHands

LadyHugeHands Space Hobo

This would be amazing! Defiantly looking forward to this! Thanks for the hard work!

• Declension

Declension Cosmic Narwhal

Once breeding is better I'm going to go mad for a butchery mod and have a reason to keep animals finally :>
        Maybe I'm a little evil, for half my animals have been turned to monster girls...
        Okay, I'm verrrryyy evil. But those slime girls had it coming!

• daikiraikimi

daikiraikimi Astral Cartographer

This looks super cool! I love the idea of being able to breed animals to produce more/better milk and eggs. That's one thing I missed about Harvest Moon: AWL-- the ability to have different breeds of cows with more expensive milk. Also would make it much easier to identify my cows when they're wandering around.

• alacazain

alacazain Void-Bound Voyager

Butchering your animals isn't evil, think of it like your managing an eco produced meat farm. You will give that animal the very best life you can for it to produce fine quality meat. Its 1000 times better than other abattoirs and mass production meat industries. Here we have a small set of animals we care for, that you and your cow/chicken/duck/rabbits etc is happy is both ways to strive for and gain the animal and you. Butchery really needs to be put in. Anyone that thinks butchery is evil, has a delusional mindset. Most of us humans are meat eaters and have been for years. There are crazy butchery houses (crazy mass production) and theres people with passions for the very best food (fine meat). Just because you eat meat doesn't mean you hate animals.... I met so many good locally producers that make cured hams, smoked meat, smoked fish etc, they really love their animals. And taught me the traditional farm life ways. Its not evil people. They are very nice and loving towards their animals and give their livestock the very best life they can. The butchering part is pain free if you have the right contacts and people with skill in this profession and business partners at right abattoirs.

I recommend you guys to watch the tv series River Cottage, its very much like star dew valley. A real person (its not scripted), who moves out to the country side who has a passion to know where his meat actually comes from and his vegetable. He works on his little piece of land and grow the most fantastic vegetables and produces the finest meat and cures it. He often goes fishing, he lays traps in his little river he has and pulls up eels and crayfish, lobsters crabs. He came from london and now he lives with him community in dorset. Its exactly like harvest moon/stardew valley.

His name is Hugh Fernley whittingstall and i think he has the most sane idea about life in general. You all should youtube it and watch some of it. Its really that good! Gives you allot of inspiration and beautiful surroundings. Watch it its a must.

Zhuria likes this.
            • Axelius

Axelius Tentacle Wrangler

My plan is to eventually do butchering as well if no-one else has done it, if it will be a new mod or part of the same, I don't know. Personally I am a hunter and I've spent large parts of my youth on the countryside at my grandparents farm and among their neighbors. I believe in treating the animal and the meat with respect and care, and I want the player to be present for at least a large part of the process.

As for exactly how it will be done will be dependant on what code is most convenient. I am not keen on the ideas that have been put forth about a "butcher character" whom you give the animal to as I feel that removes the player too much. At the same time I do not believe having an execution scene would improve the game in any way. So what I will likely do is create a new type of building, the Butchery, where you assign animals. The next day their carcass is there to hang. After 2-4 days the carcass will be ready for butchering which will be done with a new tool.

As you can see this hinges on a pretty big amount of content addition, so it is quite a bit into the future.

Also, haven't been able to put in any work this weekend, two of my best friends got married yesterday and the rest of the time has been spent on Daredevil Season 2. The coming week is filled with studies and appointments, but I'll probably be free for the next weekend. I'll update later when a release is in sight.

Micboydoodle likes this.
              • alacazain

Im totally with you! I want it implemented the right way and i really like your ideas. You should also add hunting animals. Then we have "THE" complete countryside game! Also look if you could do fish production (salmon farms for example) and smoking of fish. Could also be used for smoking of hams/meat. Imagine being able to make your own Jamon Iberico/prosciutto hams in the cave or a place where you can hang dry them with sea salt. I would including others I'm sure be very grateful!

Imagine having bacon, cured hams, ribs (cooking), beef, lamb, would be so cool. I think the developer is missing out with not implementing his great ideas in the first place. I will follow you and hope you all the luck.

Micboydoodle likes this.
                • Declension

Declension Cosmic Narwhal

No no that's not evil. I'm a meat farmer, so it's normal.
                  I just got a mod that makes animals walk upright like people, "monster girls"
                  I for one really want butchery in this game :<
                  And more so, bucthery where "I" as the farmer can do it, not send it off to a butcher/pay a fee when I can do it myself.

• Zhuria

Zhuria Cosmic Narwhal

My grandfather was a cattle farmer, he also raised poultry, pigs and sheep, all of them for meat I believe (in addition to eggs and wool), so it's a part of my heritage. I'm definitely all for it. I love animals but I also support humane slaughter. I like the idea to have a little butchery building on your farm that you assign animals to. I'd rather that than having to send them away to a butcher in town or something! And now I realize Declension said the exact same thing in different words so yeah I second that LOL

Declension likes this.
                    • Destany89

Destany89 Cosmic Narwhal

If we can breed dogs and cats would it be possible to sell the pups and kittens to families?

• nickelcurry

nickelcurry Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yesss, and have the whole town overrun with pups! :D

• alacazain

How is progress going here? Anyone started working? Try combining this mod with the butchery mod, contact the modder for it.

• matheus153

matheus153 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I can help with textures/images/sprites if you want

• Elysiia

Elysiia Aquatic Astronaut

Just popping in here to add this is a great idea and I sincerely hope it is still in development!