1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue An insight into Stardew Valley's issues on PS4 Pro

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bousf, Jan 3, 2017.

1. igi0909

igi0909 Space Hobo

I'm also ps4 pro owner and thought about buying this game but waiting because of this problem. So first of all thank you guys for updating on this issue .
    Secondly I have a question - What if you run an app in the background instead of pressing the " share " button ?
    something like spotify ?will it help the problem ?

• Bousf

Bousf Aquatic Astronaut

I owe you a hug sir/lady!

I would like to report on an update. I followed igi0909's advice and opened Spotify, left it at the login screen, then pressed the PS button and opened Stardew Valley. I timed 3 different running sessions before pressing the Share button:

-Timed 2 minutes (which led me to issue mode on previous tests) and had no issue.
      -Timed 10 minutes and had no issue.
      -Timed 15 minutes and had no issue.

All of them happened in the same session, so I'll now do the ultimate test by leaving the game running without pressing the Share button for a significant period of time and then report on whether if it all works or not. Everyone CROSS YOUR FINGERS, if this works Chucklefish just got some extra time and we got a non-obnoxious troubleshooting measure.

EDIT: Game has run for two other sessions:

-40 minutes with no issues
      -1 hour with no issues

It would be wonderful if more people could test this! Open Spotify's app on PS4, press the PS Button, open SV and play as much as you fancy, then press the Share button. If media previews load then we have an error-proof way of playing Stardew Valley until the fix happens! If you come across issues, please report so in this thread so that we can at least be cautious.

By the way, if issues happen, it is strongly recommended that you straight away close SV and turn off the PS4, which will only lead to 3 beeps upon turning off but no error message. If you try to do other stuff before turning it off it gets worse.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
        Elite49 likes this.
      • graf1k

graf1k Poptop Tamer

Interesting development. I'm away on business trip at the moment but when I get back I'll be sure to give this a try and report back. BTW after the last crash I had (with the Junimo) I figured I was in for a bevy of crashes again but thus far it's just been that one. Don't really understand it myself but at the very least I've somehow reached an equilibrium where 99% of the time I can play SDV with no problem as long as I don't join a chat.

• igi0909

igi0909 Space Hobo

Sir :)

Wow I'm so happy to hear it worked !

Maybe I will finally buy it and check it out after hearing so much awesome things about it !

Bousf likes this.
          • Bousf

Bousf Aquatic Astronaut

One more update for everyone! I left the game running for SIX HOURS with the TV off (issue mode would've given me audio but no video plus all the other problems) and the game works wonderfully, system turned off beautifully after 6 hours of SV running and EVERYONE: I think you can play Stardew Valley on your PS4 Pro safely now, even if it implies running Spotify first!

I am so glad to be able to play without worrying about my system anymore, I'm also happy that all the research led us to this and I thank everyone who took part! Now Chucklefish, make sure you fix this without the alarming pressure you had, we are counting on you ^^

edtherevelator likes this.
            • rmartin979

rmartin979 Starship Captain

Just wanted to throw my experience in. Opened Spotify, opened sdv. Played one full day and saved. closed sdv, closed Spotify. Opened ffxv and it worked. Closed ffxv. Put pro into rest mode. It went flawlessly. Glad that somebody on this forum found a workaround. Well done Bousf!

• rmartin979

Unfortunate development. I tried the Spotify trick again. Had to quit sdv before a full day went by. When I tried to put system into rest mode...it failed. Had to hold power button.

Bousf likes this.
                • Bousf

Bousf Aquatic Astronaut

Okay, it is highly recommended that you press the Share button to test if you are on issue mode or not. If the media previews load, it means that you can safely turn off your system. If they don't, then simply close the app and turn OFF (no rest mode) the system for a 3-beep safe turn-off.

Keep reporting, so far I have had no issues whatsoever.

EDIT: After having played actively for over 3 hours, I have sent the console into rest mode and it has worked wonderfully. Upon turn-on, I turned it off and there were no issues. I'll keep testing.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
                  • Starcade03

Starcade03 Space Spelunker

Ordered my third PS4 Pro today and will receive it Monday. Amazon had no stock until today, so I can nearly guarantee it's not a September 2016 console so I can see if a later manufacture date has any effect.

I'll let everyone know the results next week.

Our issue is FAR worse than the Xbox save glitch, yet our issue has received far less attention. It's obvious the squeaky wheel gets the oil and it's very frustrating and disappointing. Sorry--just venting at this point. :)

• Bousf

Bousf Aquatic Astronaut

I can partly understand why they focused on the save glitch first. It is much more spread than our problem and it can harm every Xbox One user, whereas this affects only a portion of PS4 Pro users, not all of them and OG PS4 users are free of it, so I probably would've done the same in their shoes. Now they have no excuse not to focus on it though, it's the worst issue present at the moment and I hope a fix happens sooner than later.

For the time being, Spotify is working wonders for me, with zero issues as of right now. The second something goes awry I'll report so.

• Starcade03

Starcade03 Space Spelunker

I appreciate all of the testing you've done. Your workaround is the only straightforward workaround on the Internet, so props to you for discovering it and following through with updates back to us.

I haven't touched Stardew since over a week ago due to the issues, but I look forward to trying the Spotify workaround after I test the new PS4 Pro next week. I'll do a dry run first without Spotify just to see if the manufacture date actually matters.

Do you have to have a Spotify account to run the app, or can you run is as a guest/non-member?

• Bousf

Bousf Aquatic Astronaut

It's good to help, I am very stubborn and it annoys me to death wanting to play a game and not being able to do so, so I decided to get hands-on and I honestly wasn't expecting to find a solution or a workaround but so far this seems to be highly solid (can't confirm it's fully error-proof though). I have a Spotify account but I don't even log in, I open the app, wait for it to get to the log in screen and press the PS button to dive into SV, so I don't think you'll need an account since I have never entered mine on PS4.

Something I forgot to report on: yesterday I played SV for 3 hours, 1.5 of which were with me party chatting to a friend, no crashes or issues. Only thing left to test is Remote Play, which I will get to today, so expect news on that shortly.

• rmartin979

The Spotify trick worked for me the first time I tried it and has not worked since. As Bousf has already stated, you can easily check if it is working by hitting the share button and seeing if the media preview loads. Unfortunately for me, the media preview does not load and I get 3 beeps on system shutoff. It was a wonderful workaround and I hope it continues to work for others. In the meantime I will be watching this forum closely in the hopes that somebody comes up with another trick or, more reasonably, the devs fix the issue.

• Mokkun

Mokkun Void-Bound Voyager

Did not work much for me, the share window worked thru half the (game)day before stopping, (unlike the previous 1 (game)hour..

• Bousf

Bousf Aquatic Astronaut

Oh this is such a shame! I wanted it to work for everyone :(

Just in case, are you opening the app and waiting for the log in screen to show up before pressing the PS button? Also, how are your Rest Mode settings? I have "stay connected to the internet" unticked and "keep apps suspended" ticked. The slightest thing may be affecting your chances of success so try to do some changes and see if you find a suitable configuration (or just leave it alone if you don't want to risk it, of course).

Only reason why Spotify only works for some may be up to the PS4 Pro model we have.....or you can try with other apps that keep the OS working, maybe Share Factory? I don't know for sure you can keep that suspended while playing games but you can try it out if you feel like it :)

• rmartin979

Yeah I have an active Spotify membership so it brings me right in to the home page when I open it. I then back out and open sdv. Worked beautifully the first time. Just wish I had played more during that session.

• rmartin979

Just for the sake of it I tried the trick again. And it worked. Without having changed any settings.

Bousf likes this.
                                    • Stellacris

Stellacris Space Hobo

I tried the Spotify trick on my ps4 and it’s not working for me either, neither does the share button trick. I’ve tried these with all different combinations of power settings, but the console still won’t go into rest mode properly unless I hard reset the console.

I signed up here because of this thread, so I haven't done a ton of reading about this issue. Is Sony fixing the issue or is it a Chucklefish problem? Are there pro owners here that don't have the problem?

• Bousf

Bousf Aquatic Astronaut

Hello, the issue may be on both sides but we don't really know for sure what is going on for now.

My solution is quite spotty as well, since it just failed on me for the first time since I found it out. That together with how rmartin979 got it to work after a couple of failed attempts rules Spotify as a hit-or-miss solution. It has been working wonderfully for me over the past couple of days but today it didn't but the issues only happened after a long session in which I pressed the Share button to see it was all fine, so it wasn't from the very beginning, it happened deep into my session.

I will keep on testing it out to see the success ratio and I'll try other apps, just in case they're better at keeping the OS busy in the background.

• rmartin979

I am taking a guess here and maybe somebody from the Dev team can let us know for sure, but IF the pro issue is something they can start work on after the next patch then judging by the time frame with the Xbox save issue, then maybe PS4 Pro players will be looking at late February or early March for a fix?