Alternatives for Nanosuits and talk on gass/air.

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Azraile, May 22, 2015.

1. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

While I will start off by saying I like a lot of the changes from the large update, I dislike the removal of hunger and temperature gauges. They make the game a lot more easier, way way way more easier. I am also constantly annoyed by the inability to build moon pools and create atmospheres in places that don't have them.

For one I think hunger and temp should be returned, and the suits removed and replaced with some other tech (like mechs and vehicles)

In place of the suits instead you could have the ships AI be programed not to allow you to go to various worlds depending on the danger level until some in charge of the outpost gives you clearance. Instead of getting a suit before a mission, after the mission is over the people will say they sent word to who ever the guy/girl is that you are ready to explore tougher worlds and they will clear you for them.

This way we can go back to relying on items and clothing to give us air and keep us warm/cool or protect us from radiation, instead of cheezy nano bots that make things way to easy.

On air, it really really really needs to be added as a 'liquid' as many modders have added gasses as. Air would go up instead of down of crouse but otherwise work exactly like every other liquid. You could even add a variable to liquids 'buoyancy' that will decide if it goes up or down and how they will layer if there is more than one type so you don't get those weird random blocks of fluids trapped in each other in strange ways. Instead every liquid could just have a buoyancy of +/- something x 10 giving plenty of room for mods to put liquids in between them.

This way you can have air locks to moon bases full of artificial gravity and underwater bases with moon pools where the air pressure keeps the water from flooding the base.

It could also add new dangers like pockets of flammable gass. (watch those firearms, and flame based melee weapons!!) or clouds of toxic fumes rising from lava pits or the planets core.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  2. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

This also prevents people from getting a suit going to a higher teir planet and making Armor and weapons a tier higher than the boss

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

They would have to make air "infinite" like water on ocean planets. Meaning it will suffer from the exact same problem water has when you remove a ton of block from an old base and such. How would those voids be filled?

Air as a reverse liquid doesn't seem practical. Nor fun.

And over tiering is already not possible because of the plan it effects require specific suits you get through quest progress.

4. Lazer

Lazer Existential Complex

The best alternative to nano-suits I've seen is having ship upgrades in place of them. Like if you try to jump to the next tier star before fulfilling your progression requirements, S.A.I.L. would say something like "That star is emitting huge amounts of radio waves. Unless we upgrade our out-moded navigation systems, we'll be totally blind near it." or "That's a blue giant! Without some better energy shielding it'll fry our ship to a crisp if we try to orbit it!"

That way planetary perils wouldn't be determined by star type and there could be more variety throughout the progression.

Of course, I would prefer no progression gating at all on exploration and just let players take risks as they wish, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen.

5. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

On planets with air, they could just set a factor that it has air..... and leave it at that. Air as a reverse liquid would only apply under other liquids or on planets with no air.[DOUBLEPOST=1432352321][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I totally agree 100% with you. But they have it set up by planets not stars (planets of lower tiers show up on stars afterall, or thats just a mod i have.) If it is a mod then yes it should be set up like that, oh no we can't go near that star kinda thing, but if it's by planet then the danger clearing makes sense.

But I still think people should be allowed to go where ever they want just mining higher tier stuff will take a longer time with out the upgrades and the monsters are going to wipe the floor with you. lol

6. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

that is a mod, and that is exactly how the game already is. You NEED the proper suit before progressing to the next armor tier. You can't survive on the planet otherwise.

7. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

Ah, well then getting a ship upgrade to be able to safely approach these stars is a good alternative to the suits.

8. Gevouden

Gevouden Big Damn Hero

I feeel that it should be nanosuit. Singular . It should have three slots that you equip protections into , kinda like tech. this would allow them to add more prtections that you have to pick and choose from based on whre you are going, as oppsed to only having one protection + air.

Protections they could add would be against poison , acid rain, burning, ect .

So say you want to go to a poison ocean planet. Take oxygen, poison, and another at your discretion.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  9. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

That is not a bad idea. There is a lot of things they could protect you from.

Heat, cold, radiation, poison, fire, acid, harsh winds, lava, oil (the slow affect), mud/ice and general traction problems, a suit that could let you move around in water as fast as you do on land.

However I think getting total protection should not be so easy.

Maybe each suit having tiers you can get, starting at giving you reduced damage or so many seconds of immunity. With only the highest making you totally immune.

So say poison shield would reduce damage.
    Oil would give you a few seconds before it slows you.
    Heat / cold would slow the rate you heat up or cool off...
    air shield would give you a few minutes of air supply...

ect