AGILITY? ... no, really!

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by DJFlare84, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Dead

Dead Star Wrangler

Get oudda here, Viktor Wilcol! I already commented all up on this thread.

2. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

It's alright to be skeptical! Just remember, StarBound will still be perfectly playable without requiring you to know how to wall jump effectively and sprint and do long jumps and such.

Remember it's still basically like Terraria. So if you wanted to, you could just take the easy way out and make a dirt bridge.

That being said, the Agility Commands themselves are also not that incredibly complex. You jump against a wall, you press jump again, you do a wall jump. So simple... *Looks around cautiously.* ... so simple a caveman could do it!

But it IS true that there will be people who are better at using it than some. But you can't mark off any element of gameplay just because of that. Every element of gameplay in any game has the capacity to be used in a different way that is more efficient. As a case-and-point, some people have much better cursor-eye coordination and will exceed with ranged weaponry using the mouse to guide their crosshairs. Others may have problems with this. But that doesn't mean the former person has an unfair advantage. It just means he's better at using the same tool that any other player has access to.

Equality in a game is achieved by giving every single player all the exact same tools, not by limiting the players so much that they are forced to be exactly the same.

YOU, sir, might be interested in reading this new thread I put up recently!

3. Jorden619

Jorden619 Big Damn Hero

I have already suggested this in another thread, but how about prince of persia style background wall running?

4. spygabriel3968

spygabriel3968 Void-Bound Voyager

Just cuz i love parkour SOOO much, i think this suggestion you gave SHOULD BE IN THE GAME! Or someone could make a mod of it when it is released too, cuz personally, i just love the idea, principally the slide, wall kick and ledge grab wich are the principal elements on parkour and stuffs, this is just a nice suggestion in my opinion such a nice suggestion

5. The Red N

The Red N Astral Cartographer

i like the idea of wall jumping and sliding and sprinting and taking cover and side flips, but i think the rest are a little to complicated.

6. Aeridan

Aeridan Pangalactic Porcupine

I think it is a good idea, I just think there shouldn't be that many agility-based moves one could do, because then I think agility would be more of a main focus in the game when, in my opinion, it shouldn't be a main focus.

7. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

I didn't find the thread in searching. Also, I don't see why not!
    There is already so much to do in StarBound. These additional Agility commands will hardly take over the game.

You have to remember. It's a sandbox game like Terraria. I think Digging and building is already the main focus. Elements of "Parkour" will simply make it easier to do all these things, or let you get to them faster.

8. Fred Meat

Fred Meat Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think actual combat moves would be a) too long a process to implement and b) annoying and hard to use. Extra movement would be awesome, but leg sweeping? Firstly, it would be difficult to make and use properly, seeing as the only people it's good against are humanoids with guns and swords. Secondly, it's a lot easier just jumping around bashing the crap out of them with a massive hammer.
    I would love to see these free running/parkour elements but I don't think melee combat moves would be a good addition.

9. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

I don't think we can dismiss any update just based on how long we think it would take to implement after how long it's taken Chucklefish to put out the recent update. It shows they clearly don't mind putting in almost a year's worth of work into a single update if they like it enough.

10. TakaStoryXx

TakaStoryXx Starship Captain

i have always thought that the combat in this game is too plain. Mostly based around swinging or shooting with a few jumps of dodge. This system would really enchance the battle way and make for a funner experience. It will give people something to practice and become better at.

DJFlare84 likes this.
  11. Fred Meat

Fred Meat Subatomic Cosmonaut

I still don't want combat moves. It would be too complicated to use. Plus, there's no point. Wall jumps, sprinting, crawling and rolling would all be really cool, but I draw the line about there.

12. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

Fair enough. Not everybody does.

13. n1t3n

n1t3n Big Damn Hero

Crawling is necessary. For sure.

Sliding souds actually awesome.

For the rest... O,O Pretty Owl ez curious.