1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

A Generated Monster Every Friday!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TheMurumasa, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SquarelyCircle

SquarelyCircle Cosmic Narwhal

That one isn't really a monster, is it? Who tweeted it?
    I think it was someone's idea of a prank.

2. Affero

Affero Contributor

If you mean this one
    [​IMG]

Then you are correct, that is in fact a monster that was randomly generated.

3. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

Yeah, the past couple weeks the gifs have had white backgrounds. If you want transparent backgrounds you can grab them from the wiki, they're removed them before they are uploaded there.

http://starbounder.org/mediawiki/images/0/0e/Random_Monster_74.gif is this weeks (thanks to J-block)

4. SquarelyCircle

I want a link to the original post by someone working on the game. I refuse to believe that that's a real monster, even a randomly generated one. If there is an original post by a dev, I'd be happy to see it. I'm pretty sure that's just somebody's joke.

5. Katzeus

https://twitter.com/StarboundGame/status/383623076828966912

6. SquarelyCircle

7. Affero

Affero Contributor

8. Katzeus

Here are the previous two weeks without the white background too if you want to update the OP!

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

It scares me. :saywhat:

10. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

Me too. :(

And whaat? You're a moderator now? Now I can't make fun of you, uncool! haha

11. Tleno

Tleno Spaceman Spiff

Freud says: "Scared? That's... interesting! Tell me more!"

linkthegamer, WoxandWarf and Jonesy like this.
  12. Dr Fushba

Dr Fushba Cosmic Narwhal

'I fear no man, but that thing... scares me.' - Heavy

13. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

"He's not here, is she?" - Scout

14. Pringlesniffer

Pringlesniffer Orbital Explorer

So all these monsters are randomly generated? How does the application/system/computer figure out what heads, legs, and bodies to put on what types of creatures? I'm really interested in how it all works.

I literally thought that the monsters were all "hand drawn" pixel art.

15. Katzeus

The monsters are broken into different body types (2 legged, 4 legged, flying, etc) and then the procedural generation engine puts the parts together from a library of features. You can see some similar monster parts between monsters, but this method of assembly means even the developers encounter monsters they've never seen before.

Axe Garian likes this.
  16. Pringlesniffer

That's really cool. What about the enemy AI, is it too random and semi-dynamic?

17. Veran

Veran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

the monster is assigned a random assortment of attacks based on their parts. then the AI is based on those attacks and the tier of the planet. the higher tier planet, the more deadly, smart and varied the AI is. so a tier one monster possess maybe one or two attacks (like charge and bodyslam) and is kinda stupid (having trouble navigating/inaccurate with attacks), whilst a tier 10 monster spews poison, shoots barbs with deadly accuracy and has eye lazers. or something like that.
    (information gathered from various streams by bart, when he was coding AI he stated that the plan was for the monsters getting smarter the higher the tier of the planet)

Axe Garian likes this.
  18. Pringlesniffer

Where's my weekly friday monster?!

Affero likes this.
  19. Affero

Affero Contributor

20. Yanazake

Yanazake Space Kumquat

It's... A.... Well, an ugly ant head... fish tail, ZIGZAGOON BODY... And... floating legs???

I. Don't. Even~ D:

xnez likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.